Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter - play in all gears and neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Jim48
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Many thanks for telling me your experience with transmission fluids and the tip on Mobillube PTX. I'm sort of surprised that it is so complicated an issue. In any case, because of what you told me, I'll be careful before doing any change and discuss it with my mechanic.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim48
Many thanks for telling me your experience with transmission fluids and the tip on Mobillube PTX. I'm sort of surprised that it is so complicated an issue. In any case, because of what you told me, I'll be careful before doing any change and discuss it with my mechanic.
2009 C2S 175K miles

Yea, I get it. Why this transmission is so finicky is ... well... I posted my opinion earlier.

More reading here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 10-05-2021, 03:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Oh....

For those who have play in their Numeric Shifter.... ( or the Porsche shifter)

Try this: With the stick in neutral, pull directly up. There should be zero play. If there is zero play, then the issue is not the shifter. When you pull straight up, you are pulling directly on the main support pivot points (swings the shifter left/right) and the center pivot point (that swings the shifter fore/aft). The two points, fore and aft (which swing the shifter left/right), are the main supports of the shifter. If you swing the shifter left-right or fore/back, you are tugging on the cables.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-05-2021 at 03:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
415 (10-19-2022), frybear (10-06-2021)
Old 10-19-2022, 07:03 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve had the Numeric Racing short shifter and cables installed in my 987.2 about 5 years ago. It has been the best upgrade that I’ve made to the car, but that small amount of play that you describe has been slightly annoying.

Thank you for posting the solution from Numeric. Quick question: did you have to remove the entire shifter assembly to get to that T25 or can it be done by simply removing the shifter from it’s long/medium/short shift slots?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Alright, spoke to Numeric. If you watch the video I posted, there’s a silver cone shaped piece attached to the shift lever that fits into the black piece with the Numeric logo. That cone shaped piece has a T25 on the other end of it hidden by the shifter. So if you partially disassemble the shifter, you can get access to that T25.

Per Numeric, there were some assembly issues some time ago. Their instructions are to remove that T25, add lock tight, reinstall and crank on it (within reason). Also, be careful not to lose the little spacers on the shift lever bolt. I’m a dummy and lost one and cannot for the life of me find it in the car because of course. So I’m hoping they will sell me another one. Hope this helps anyone else down the road.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:40 AM
frybear
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by nowakm99
I’ve had the Numeric Racing short shifter and cables installed in my 987.2 about 5 years ago. It has been the best upgrade that I’ve made to the car, but that small amount of play that you describe has been slightly annoying.

Thank you for posting the solution from Numeric. Quick question: did you have to remove the entire shifter assembly to get to that T25 or can it be done by simply removing the shifter from it’s long/medium/short shift slots?

Thanks again.
I had this issue and no, I did not have to remove the entire assembly. What you do is remove the shifter "arm" - again, make sure you don't lose the washer, I lost both and Numeric sent me another set for free - but I was able to fish them out a month later somehow. So I do have an extra set now. once you get the arm out you can just unscrew the cone screw by hand most likely, then use the lock tight on that screw/bolt and reassemble. Mine has been fine since this fix.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:22 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Originally Posted by frybear
I had this issue and no, I did not have to remove the entire assembly. What you do is remove the shifter "arm" - again, make sure you don't lose the washer, I lost both and Numeric sent me another set for free - but I was able to fish them out a month later somehow. So I do have an extra set now. once you get the arm out you can just unscrew the cone screw by hand most likely, then use the lock tight on that screw/bolt and reassemble. Mine has been fine since this fix.
Thank you for the prompt response. Unfortunately, in my case it appears that the source of the play is at the interface of the conical stainless steel lever and the part with the Numeric logo on it. I've reached out to Numeric for help and will update with a solution if there is one.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:30 AM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 161 Posts

I just noticed this in mine as well. I don't know if it was always like that or if this is new. Posting a video below, will contact Numeric and see if this is expected or if I have this issue listed above that needs to be tightened (might do this anyway)

SSK was installed in 2021, so it's only two years old. The timing also lines up with this thread.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2725.MOV (12.06 MB, 30 views)
Old 07-09-2023, 07:15 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

Should be no play, there is a loose washer that is easy to miss in assembly . . .

Old 07-10-2023, 05:49 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

I called Numeric and they informed me that the play in my shifter was due to a manufacturing defect. They were excellent about offering to replace it if I sent mine back, but the hassle of pulling it out of the car, sending it back from Canada and then likely having to pay duties when it comes back and then installing it all over again is not worth the hassle. I’’ll just live with it as is as it isn’t noticeable when driving.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:58 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

I just watched your video and realized that the play in your shifter is much more severe than what I’m experiencing. Mine is a fraction of a mm in each direction, so not nearly as bad. I suggest contacting Numeric as this is likely a different issue.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:21 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

I share the duties / HST / Canadian Post handling charges pain!

It should be possible to have the replacement shipped to Canada as a warranty with zero value to avoid these

Works half the time . . .

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter - play in all gears and neutral