Sponsored by:

HRE Rims but Want Porsche Center Caps

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 09:30 AM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HRE Rims but Want Porsche Center Caps

Hi, I just purchased my first Porsche, a 911 C2S Cab that has gorgeous HRE rims. However, I would prefer to have Porsche Center Caps if at all possible. The size of the HRE center cap is about 2.5 inches smaller than the typical Porsche Center cap. I looked and saw that the Macan has 2.5 center caps. Does anyone know if they would work in the HRE rims or are there other avenues I can pursuit. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:29 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

You can always go with stickers to go over the existing caps.

I had them on my Ampliforms on my GTI, sizing was custom and in 1MM increments and different designs.

They looked amazing and held up well.

It was the only solution I could find for the big Konig caps, the sticker is only in the middle/the carbon fiber looking part. The black piece with the hex bolts is the Konig Cap.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 09-09-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 1watchaholic
... has gorgeous HRE rims... are there other avenues I can pursuit. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Those are great looking wheels, a nice accessory to the car's look and a great conversation starter about the car. If it were mine, I would keep the HRE caps.

I would rotate the cap to point to the valve...in keeping with Porsche "regulations"

Last edited by CAVU; 09-09-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:38 PM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAVU
Those are great looking wheels, a nice accessory to the car's look and a great conversation starter about the car. If it were mine, I would keep the HRE caps.

I would rotate the cap to point to the valve...in keeping with Porsche "regulations"

Thank you for the lesson in Porsche etiquette on pointing the cap to point of the valve. I like the thought of just keeping the HRE caps in place. 👍

Last edited by 1watchaholic; 09-09-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:10 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

Thank you for the lesson in Porsche etiquette on pointing the cap to point of the valve.
Someone was going to say it. I must have driven for years without knowing. Hated losing all that HP and cornering capability 'cause of it.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:51 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

The HRE badge is reflective of a very high quality brand. I say keep it on them!

Your HRE wheels are from the competition series - model C20. Very light weight (all of the connecting hardware is titanium) and manufactured using very high quality materials and production methods. I have the same wheels.

Recently restored - just waiting on the new tires to arrive (which is taking forever!)
Old 09-09-2021, 06:49 PM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
The HRE badge is reflective of a very high quality brand. I say keep it on them!

Your HRE wheels are from the competition series - model C20. Very light weight (all of the connecting hardware is titanium) and manufactured using very high quality materials and production methods. I have the same wheels.

Recently restored - just waiting on the new tires to arrive (which is taking forever!)
Wow!! Yours look great! I need mine polished up or something. I'm sold! I'll leave them just as there are. 👍
Old 09-09-2021, 07:05 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Hi, I just purchased my first Porsche, a 911 C2S Cab that has gorgeous HRE rims. However, I would prefer to have Porsche Center Caps if at all possible. The size of the HRE center cap is about 2.5 inches smaller than the typical Porsche Center cap. I looked and saw that the Macan has 2.5 center caps. Does anyone know if they would work in the HRE rims or are there other avenues I can pursuit. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
The center sections of your wheels look like they are painted. (You can contact HRE directly with the serial numbers of your wheels. By referencing the serial number in their records database, they can tell you what the specific finish treatments were for your wheels when they made them.)

Mine were originally matte black powder-coated. When my wheels were restored, they were disassembled and stripped. The centers were brush-finished and then gloss clear powder coated.

There's a good chance that the outer rims on your wheels are uncoated / polished aluminum. That's what mine are. Mine were machine polished prior to reassembly and left uncoated.

You may wish to consider the following:

After using a good pH balanced cleaner on the wheels, you can detail them with the following:

If your outer rims are uncoated, you can hand polish them with this product:

Amazon Amazon

To clean the center sections, I've had good success with:

Amazon Amazon

When my wheels came back from the restorer, I ceramic coated them.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:06 PM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
The center sections of your wheels look like they are painted. (You can contact HRE directly with the serial numbers of your wheels. By referencing the serial number in their records database, they can tell you what the specific finish treatments were for your wheels when they made them.)

Mine were originally matte black powder-coated. When my wheels were restored, they were disassembled and stripped. The centers were brush-finished and then gloss clear powder coated.

There's a good chance that the outer rims on your wheels are uncoated / polished aluminum. That's what mine are. Mine were machine polished prior to reassembly and left uncoated.

You may wish to consider the following:

After using a good pH balanced cleaner on the wheels, you can detail them with the following:

If your outer rims are uncoated, you can hand polish them with this product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To clean the center sections, I've had good success with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When my wheels came back from the restorer, I ceramic coated them.
Thank you for the tips and the product suggestions. I will definitely look into those. 👍
Old 04-01-2024, 12:35 AM
Digger38
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you guys ever find a solution to getting Porsche center caps on HRE wheels? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:05 AM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Digger38
Did you guys ever find a solution to getting Porsche center caps on HRE wheels? Thanks.
After talking to a few people, I decided not to swap them out for Porsche centers.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:51 AM
Digger38
Intermediate

Thanks! I take it you never came across a sure solution, correct?
Old 04-01-2024, 12:40 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

One option if you want the Porsche logo, just get center cap stickers.

You can custom order them in 1MM increments and no one will ever be able to tell the difference.

I had some on a GTI with wheels that would not accept a VW Centercap, they looked great and OEM.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:43 PM
Digger38
Intermediate

Thanks. I saw your post previously and they do look great. Was hoping (for unsure reasons) to have a full metal cap, etc. How have the stickers held up? I guess just put new ones on when the old ones get banged up, dirty, etc.? May have to go this route!
Old 04-01-2024, 01:45 PM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Correct. I did not find a solution before I decided not to attempt to swap them out.

Quick Reply: HRE Rims but Want Porsche Center Caps