Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getty vs Michael Shaw: Distributor or Fake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 02:47 AM
997.one
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Getty vs Michael Shaw: Distributor or Fake?

Getting ready to purchase a ducktail and have seen both Getty and Michael Shaw as options. I also noticed that Getty uses some of the same photos on Michael’s website but pixelated. I am still fairly new to the Porsche world and curious if someone could help shine some light on these to distributors for me?

Thank you in advance for your time

@avery503

Last edited by 997.one; 07-26-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:59 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,387 Likes on 1,295 Posts

delete
Old 07-26-2021, 11:23 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by skaper
Getting ready to purchase a ducktail and have seen both Getty and Michael Shaw as options. I also noticed that Getty uses some of the same photos on Michael’s website but pixelated. I am still fairly new to the Porsche world and curious if someone could help shine some light on these to distributors for me?

Thank you in advance for your time

@avery503
Happy to share my experiences with each of these vendors when I was shopping for my ducktail. This was about 10 years ago. I spoke with each of these vendors directly. In my experience the messages and quotes I was getting from Shaw generate more questions than answers. I didn't have much confidence in what I was hearing and didn't want to engage on the chance something went wrong / there were issues. On the other hand Getty was nothing but professional. Clearly answered all my questions etc. So I purchased from Getty and am very happy with the product. My body man was also suitably impressed with the quality of the product.

Best,

Matt
The following users liked this post:
Darkboyz68 (02-04-2022)
Old 07-26-2021, 01:25 PM
997.one
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
My body man was also suitably impressed with the quality of the product.

Best,

Matt
Thank you, Matt - that is the more important piece of the puzzle and should have been part of my question. Appreciate that response!
Old 07-26-2021, 01:37 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

About 8 years ago, I bought a duck tail for my 993 from MA Shaw (https://www.mashaw.com/) and happened to be on a road trip in So CA and asked if I could pick up the duck tail in person. When I picked it up Michael was in the office. I asked him about Getty Design and he said that was his brand as well. He was really nice and professional. The address and contact info for both companies is different now, so I am wondering if Michael was selling me a bill of goods or not, or perhaps one company was acquired since I bought from him. Overall, I have also bought a duck tail from Getty and the quality for both was the same based on my body and paint shops I used to paint and install. They all need some massaging to prep them for paint and fitment. It's the nature of FG.

Quick Reply: Getty vs Michael Shaw: Distributor or Fake?