Sponsored by:

Shock absorber wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 01:13 PM
ComradeStan
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shock absorber wear

Finally got the car transported after purchase. Going through it... It would have been nice if PPI would have mentioned a few more of the obvious items. But anyway, I wanted a LEGO and seems to got one 😃

The wear appears quite disproportionate on the absorber bump stop. I'm assuming I need to disassemble the whole thing to replace it. Wondering what may be causing the passenger side to be so chewed up. Perhaps someone/something did chew it up?

Front passenger

Front driver
Old 07-19-2021, 11:06 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Oi had to have mine replaced after a post-purchase inspection caught them. It appears that they can deteriorate w/ passing of time rather than use. The climate the car was in probably also plays a role. I went ahead and took advantage of the situation and also had the shop install new front shocks while the whole front end was disassembled. Mine was a 2006 997.1 and it lived most of its life in the west, CA/AZ so the dryness probably played a role in the deterioration.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:02 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

The passenger side is closest to the shoulder and the ditch plus the crown in the road puts more load on that side. We used to align cars based upon the crown of the roads most driven. It is typical in my experience to see that side wear quicker.
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:39 PM
ComradeStan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The passenger side is closest to the shoulder and the ditch plus the crown in the road puts more load on that side. We used to align cars based upon the crown of the roads most driven. It is typical in my experience to see that side wear quicker.
Good to know. Thanks.

Apparently it's challenging to find the rubber stop in stock. Pelican Parts needs to order from Germany. 3-5 weeks wait time. Anyone used after-market rubber stops or any other alternatives?
Old 07-21-2021, 08:48 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ComradeStan
Good to know. Thanks.

Apparently it's challenging to find the rubber stop in stock. Pelican Parts needs to order from Germany. 3-5 weeks wait time. Anyone used after-market rubber stops or any other alternatives?
FCP has them in stock: https://www.fcpeuro.com/Porsche-part...=10&d=15676&v=
Old 07-25-2021, 01:28 PM
ComradeStan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by laphan
Good call, I was actually looking at a different (wrong) part. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
JAB_997 (08-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Shock absorber wear