Sponsored by:

Outdoor Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 02:07 PM
nydog
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Outdoor Car Cover

Hello all. I'm in the process of purchasing my first Porsche, a 2006 C2S, and I need an outdoor car cover. I'm looking to do the OEM car. The car has a aero front bumper, but the OEM covers I've found are not made for cars that have the aero bumper.

Is there an OEM cover made for the cars with the aero kit? If so, can point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2021, 05:31 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

OEM car covers will not hold up outdoors for more than a year . Do the right thing and go to California Car Cover and pick the material that suits your situation. They have a lot of choices and their patterns are perfect fit. It is all about the material and only two companies have total control over the source of the fabrics. Covercraft and California Car Cover. Call them up.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Why do you need an outdoor car cover? Skip the cover, and invest the monies into a quality ceramic coating instead. You can't cover a dirty car. And a car cover will just invite unwanted attention to your car.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:26 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,095 Likes on 594 Posts

I had to park a Porsche 996 outside years ago, and from my research Covercraft Weathershield HP is incomparable. The Porsche outdoor cover is stiff and heavy. Weathershield HP is super lightweight and less likely than any cover I could find to damage the paint,and was easy to either dust off or wash because of low mass. Heavy outdoor covers suck EXCEPT if you live in a windy area they will say in place better in winds but they added weight is what makes them act like sandpaper.

The fabric was designed to be softer than flannel. Amazing stuff. Not cheap though.

Watch the video on their website and watch how water runs off of it. Covercraft Weathershield HP

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 05-12-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:46 AM
nydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Floyd540
OEM car covers will not hold up outdoors for more than a year . Do the right thing and go to California Car Cover and pick the material that suits your situation. They have a lot of choices and their patterns are perfect fit. It is all about the material and only two companies have total control over the source of the fabrics. Covercraft and California Car Cover. Call them up.
Right you are Floyd, I use an OEM cover for my e92 M3 and only get about a lil more than a year out of it before I need a new one... Gotta love FCP's lifetime warranty. I was hoping to purchase the cover for the 997 from them as well, but it doesn't seem like it's available.
I contacted Covercraft and Cali Car Cover, but neither have anything in stock which means at least 4 weeks. I don't want the car uncovered that long.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:50 AM
nydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why do you need an outdoor car cover? Skip the cover, and invest the monies into a quality ceramic coating instead. You can't cover a dirty car. And a car cover will just invite unwanted attention to your car.
Lex the car will more than likely be ceramic coated but I also want to cover it from the pollen, dust and elements.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Nydog, As a actual user of car covers (outdoors and indoors) I recommend you give Cali Car Cover a call and order one. They seem to have the best patterns. (They are actually made in Oklahoma by Cover Craft since they have an exclusive on all the high tech materials ) I just ordered a new one for my wife's Z4 (old one lasted 5 years in California sun) and they quoted 4 to 5 weeks since they do not stock anything during the Covid year. It arrived yesterday after 3 weeks. Do yourself a favor and get one. My basalt black 997.2 is sitting under a California Car Cover right now.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:15 PM
nydog
Instructor

Cali car cover on the way.
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 05:55 PM
AxelR
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Which one did you pick. They have so many versions. Thinking about getting the outdoor with fleece interior. Or whatever they call it.

Originally Posted by nydog
Cali car cover on the way.

Last edited by AxelR; 05-15-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:34 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

They do have a zillion to choose from. I have the superweave covers. They have long term outdoor protection. Also they are thin material (not in a negative way), so the roll up into a fairly small roll when removed. Other thicker covers can be a really big wad of material to store when removed. the thicker fleece lined covers are good for use where you want door ding protection like in parking lots. since I do not need that, I wanted the smallest roll of material to store. Another fun fact is to read the instructions on how to install the cover on your car. Everyone laughs at this but no one knows how to install and remove a car cover correctly. It has nothing to do with getting proper protection, it has everything to do with being able to do it quickly with zero hassle. It could not be simpler ,but if you do not read how, you will do it wrong everytime and spend too much time fussing with it. Trust me on this part.
AxelR (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 10:25 PM
nydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by AxelR
Which one did you pick. They have so many versions. Thinking about getting the outdoor with fleece interior. Or whatever they call it.
I got the superweave in gray.
The following 2 users liked this post by nydog:
AxelR (05-15-2021), Floyd540 (05-15-2021)
Old 06-23-2024, 09:12 AM
Paulfras
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover need

Any updated thoughts on outdoor car covers? I need one for a 991.1 RS3 and I live on the ocean in Florida. Strong winds and salt in the air
Old 06-23-2024, 01:14 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I know this doesn't answer your question but I shudder to think what will happen to the finish of that beautiful car if you cover it anywhere outside let alone in those conditions..
Old 07-01-2024, 07:16 AM
nydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paulfras
Any updated thoughts on outdoor car covers? I need one for a 991.1 RS3 and I live on the ocean in Florida. Strong winds and salt in the air
The superweave California car cover has served me well. After 3 years of use, I recently sent it back under warranty for an exchange. I sent it in because the cover has stretched slightly, so it does not fit as snug. I expected this would happen with regular use and being exposed to the elements, I'm in Dutchess County NY and get all four seasons.
8KaboveMSL (07-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Outdoor Car Cover