The (official) Rock Chip / Paint Correction - Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 02:33 PM
T4S
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The (official) Rock Chip / Paint Correction - Thread

Hello

Had an idea to create an ongoing thread for all things paint correction and rock chip repair, related. This could be DIY technique, product, and professional service recommendations.

I'm looking to take on the task of rock chip repair. > have seen some write-ups, videos, and reveals scattered in throughout my time reading here on the forum. As I go to find these helpful posts I'm having a hard time locating the contributions. You too?! ..feel like they may be buried in the what did you do to your 911 today threads etc.

Perhaps some of the people who provided content can circle it into here and we can as a community keep the Porsche paint as lush and vibrant as possible for ourselves and the future enthusiast.

*professional chip and correction recommendation in Seattle area wanted
TIA
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
myronf (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:33 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I used Dr. Colorchip to some very good results.

A little bit more work than they advertise but I’m really happy with the results.

Before and after pics, yes all those white spots are stone chips:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

The following 5 users liked this post by Bomba:
dmpslc (05-05-2021), GermanEngineerin (05-05-2021), T4S (05-05-2021), tegraphile (05-04-2021), yvesvidal (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 11:39 AM
T4S
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomba
I used Dr. Colorchip to some very good results.

A little bit more work than they advertise but I’m really happy with the results.

Before and after pics, yes all those white spots are stone chips:
Thanks for kicking us off Bomba. You're right those results are fantastic. Saw some Dr Colorchip posts - most seem to be satisfied when considering cost and DIY project status.
Can you describe the 'more work than advertised' part or any tips you could provide?

It seems if one DIYs its best to use a pro auto dab refill pen vs brush. How well does that play with the Dr colorchip process?

Last edited by T4S; 05-05-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:56 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by T4S
Thanks for kicking us off Bomba. You're right those results are fantastic. Saw some Dr Colorchip posts - most seem to be satisfied when considering cost and DIY project status.
Can you describe the 'more work than advertised' part or any tips you could provide?

It seems if one DIYs its best to use a pro auto dab refill pen vs brush. How well does that play with the Dr colorchip process?
I really like the Dr. Colorchip system and I'm not a big fan of the refill pen because I've just never been good at using one. With the Colorchip system, I liked that I could start over and wipe away everything, it also lasted longer than I expected. I did this over 2 years ago, so I only remember that I followed the youtube videos and that it wasn't difficult but did take effort. FWIW, I got a new bumper a few months ago.... But it felt like I spent a lot of time prepping and making sure the chips were free of debris and dry from any car wash or polish in the cavity. It could be because I took my time doing it, but it's not a 15 minute exercise like they'd lead you to believe on their website. Needless to say, for the price, if you grab one of their sales, you can get their $59 squeegee kit for $45. Money well spent rather than deal with a respray that might not blend and match properly.

I was concerned with the results of my car being a basalt black car, but the more I think about it the dark color probably added to the success of the product since the chips were white.

It's a great product and I bought a kit to use on my Ferrari, but have since sold the car, so that was money wasted, but it goes to say how good I felt about the kit.

Quick Reply: The (official) Rock Chip / Paint Correction - Thread