Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bore scoring, why #6 goes bad first, oil design?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 02:03 PM
bantamben
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it possible to pull #6 piston without splitting case. I really want to just for fun pull the head somehow remove the wire clip pull the the wrist pin and pull the piston. My cylinder doesn’t look that bad when borescoping but I am getting about a 20% leak past the rings all other cylinders are closer to 5-10%

I would love to swap out a new piston and rings and just do a old school super light drill hone.

then drive it while I acquire parts and everything I need for a 4.0 rebuild. This is my daily driver
Old 04-30-2021, 02:37 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by bantamben
Is it possible to pull #6 piston without splitting case. I really want to just for fun pull the head somehow remove the wire clip pull the the wrist pin and pull the piston. My cylinder doesn’t look that bad when borescoping but I am getting about a 20% leak past the rings all other cylinders are closer to 5-10%

I would love to swap out a new piston and rings and just do a old school super light drill hone.

then drive it while I acquire parts and everything I need for a 4.0 rebuild. This is my daily driver
You can't treat an Alusil or Lokasil cylinder like other cylinders. There is no plating on the bore or liner there you can hone. The bore is raw aluminum with exposed silicon particles. Scoring is ploughing of the Al/Si matrix. You can't just hone it unfortunately to correct this issue.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:20 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 234 Posts

# 6 is close to the oil cooler, I find that interesting and suspect.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:07 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 273 Posts

Y'all don't have to think or try to discover "new" ideas about why the M9X can destroy itself. Hartech, Raby, and LN have been working and developing the fixes for these engines since they hit the market. Hartech has several e-books you can dl for free. Google searching will give you hundreds of threads where Charles and Jake have described these design choices and consequences. Raby and team have a couple dozen videos talking in-depth about the issues...
Old 05-01-2021, 08:21 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,545 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Y'all don't have to think or try to discover "new" ideas about why the M9X can destroy itself. Hartech, Raby, and LN have been working and developing the fixes for these engines since they hit the market. Hartech has several e-books you can dl for free. Google searching will give you hundreds of threads where Charles and Jake have described these design choices and consequences. Raby and team have a couple dozen videos talking in-depth about the issues...
While this is true, I always welcome thoughts and from our experts like Charles and Jake. This field and science is not static. This is a good discussion.

Quick Reply: Bore scoring, why #6 goes bad first, oil design?