Sponsored by:

Airbag light since door card and carpet removals... Any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 12:55 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Airbag light since door card and carpet removals... Any ideas

Ok so I got to the bottom of my last issue with alarm not setting. Ended up replacing both Door lock switches and all is good. The car now locks... BUT since I had the carpet out (blocked sunroof drain > damp rear carpet) and door cards off I now have an airbag warning light I have never had before.

Durametric says it is 8003 code "Passengers head airbag above upper limit"

So I checked under passenger seat, connector is fine. Airbag is plugged in behind door card (it wasnt before...) but I clear with Durametric and it comes back. Anyone know for sure is this the passenger door airbag the code refers to as I cant find much info on it

thanks

Last edited by theanalyst; 04-25-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:15 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by theanalyst
Ok so I got to the bottom of my last issue with alarm not setting. Ended up replacing both Door lock switches and all is good. The car now locks... BUT since I had the carpet out (blocked sunroof drain > damp rear carpet) and door cards off I now have an airbag warning light I have never had before.

Durmatric says it is 8003 code "Passengers head airbag above upper limit"

So I checked under passenger seat, connector is fine. Airbag is plugged in behind door card (it wasnt before...) but I clear with Durametric and it comes back. Anyone know for sure is this the passenger door airbag the code refers to as I cant find much info on it

thanks

Question(s)

1. Hindsight is 20/20, but did you properly unplug the negative terminal on the battery before starting the project or unplugging anything on the car?
2. Were the seats removed?
Old 04-25-2021, 02:31 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Question(s)

1. Hindsight is 20/20, but did you properly unplug the negative terminal on the battery before starting the project or unplugging anything on the car?
2. Were the seats removed?
thanks for the reply.
yes the battery was disconnected but during the work I may have had airbag unplugged and battery connected again (for moving seats back for example)
2/ yes the seats were removed! And carpet. Thats all back in now though. There is only one main connector under the passenger seat, I unbolted the seat today to check and all looks correct there.

I wonder if something lost programming?
this has got me scratching my head. My durametric is enthusiast version so It wont do more than read!

thanks again

Last edited by theanalyst; 04-25-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:02 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

thanks for the reply.
yes the battery was disconnected but during the work I may have had airbag unplugged and battery connected again (for moving seats back for example)
2/ yes the seats were removed! And carpet. Thats all back in now though. There is only one main connector under the passenger seat, I unbolted the seat today to check and all looks correct there.

I wonder if something lost programming?
this has got me scratching my head. My durametric is enthusiast version so It wont do more than read!

thanks again

Normally, an airbag DTC tend to be triggered because of an open circuit usually from owners removing the seats or door panels. In your case, not only have you removed the seats, but you've also been in the door.

Read this link and notice the passenger's "head" airbag location.

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...airbag-systems

If no open circuits can be found, then it's possible you now have a defective airbag. (hopefully not)

Again, you must retrace every step along the way. One connector left hanging in the door could be the culprit. You must check. But for goodness sake, always disconnect the negative battery terminal first.

I also recommend taking lots of photographs along the way to refer back to in case of forgetting proper connectivity when reassembling everything.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:14 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Normally, an airbag DTC tend to be triggered because of an open circuit usually from owners removing the seats or door panels. In your case, not only have you removed the seats, but you've also been in the door.

Read this link and notice the passenger's "head" airbag location.

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...airbag-systems

If no open circuits can be found, then it's possible you now have a defective airbag. (hopefully not)

Again, you must retrace every step along the way. One connector left hanging in the door could be the culprit. You must check. But for goodness sake, always disconnect the negative battery terminal first.

I also recommend taking lots of photographs along the way to refer back to in case of forgetting proper connectivity when reassembling everything.

Thanks, thats a useful link
Live resistance value of passenger head airbag shows as 0.60 Ohm
and Drivers side is 2.50 Ohm

According to Durametric. I would have expected it to be 1 if it was disconnected>!!!? but I will again take the passenger door panel off again and check it. It's strange, because Durametric said it was the passenger side door switch that was faulty, in fact I replaced it with no change. It was when I replaced the drivers side one that the alarm setting problem was cured. Does anyone know if Durametric is based on LHD cars? and in fact passenger side is for me referring to the RH side (USA and DE passenger side?) . I cannot find any information on it. I know PIWIS uses correct side for vin and driver position, but Im not sure if Durametric does, but i would assume so
Old 04-25-2021, 07:11 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Well, managed to sort this! Removed the passenger side door panel, again... and took a close look at the airbag connector . The orange clip wasnt fully seated, even though the connector was plugged in ok... Re assembled it and ran Durametric again, it cleared the fault code and it stayed off this time (had to cycle the ignition). No airbag faults showing now... phew.

I love Durametric! thanks for the input b3freak
The following users liked this post:
ZuffenZeus (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 08:04 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Well, managed to sort this! Removed the passenger side door panel, again... and took a close look at the airbag connector . The orange clip wasnt fully seated, even though the connector was plugged in ok... Re assembled it and ran Durametric again, it cleared the fault code and it stayed off this time (had to cycle the ignition). No airbag faults showing now... phew.

I love Durametric! thanks for the input b3freak
A W E S O M E!!!

Now isn't that a relief? So glad you got it sorted out and happy to help in a small way.

These kinds of faults are usually simple human error. I know, I've done the exact same thing as you did. I find that it is best to take a break, take a deep breath, clear your head, and then retrace your steps. Usually, you'll find where the misstep occurred and in rare cases, you have to eat crow and get someone more trained to help diagnose the problem, but again, usually, if it didn't happen BEFORE you started the job, then more than likely it's something that was overlooked during reassembly.

Cheers! And, happy motoring.
The following users liked this post:
theanalyst (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 08:17 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

A W E S O M E!!!

Now isn't that a relief? So glad you got it sorted out and happy to help in a small way.

These kinds of faults are usually simple human error. I know, I've done the exact same thing as you did. I find that it is best to take a break, take a deep breath, clear your head, and then retrace your steps. Usually, you'll find where the misstep occurred and in rare cases, you have to eat crow and get someone more trained to help diagnose the problem, but again, usually, if it didn't happen BEFORE you started the job, then more than likely it's something that was overlooked during reassembly.

Cheers! And, happy motoring.
Definate relief!!
I was sure it was something I had missed but I am quite experienced with the spanners and a devil for the details and just had no idea what I could have missed... Just goes to show how sensitive the airbag circuits are!! I had zero faith that pushing the orange locker clip home the last 50% would make any difference. In fact I was surprised and pleased in equal measure when the light went out!

It did cross my mind about 'hmm ok who could I get to look at this who has Piwis and does it for a living' but not many garages would take a job on like that after the full interior has been removed lol. Could be digging themselves a black hole of fault finding!

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Airbag light since door card and carpet removals... Any ideas