Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Phone Mount - MagSafe Style

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021 | 05:59 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Default Another Phone Mount - MagSafe Style

I finally got around to installing a phone mount. I found a metal bracket option that is similar to the RL option except this one uses one of the radio screws to secure it instead of adhesive. I like that about it.

I purchased the mount (Panavise) and a MagSafe usb powered charger on Amazon.

https://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75132-105.pdf

Proker Magnetic Wireless Car... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RNJRTS9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

To make it work I drilled a new hole in the metal bracket and used the threaded post on the MagSafe that was left after removing the vent clip. I used an M5 washer and M5-.80 locknut to secure the charger to the mounting plate.

Overall it works well. The phone is secure and charges while on the mount. My only complaint is that the phone vibrates/shakes some while driving...not sure if that would be any different with any other solution.

The following users liked this post:
lowbee (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 10:55 AM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

This weekend I modified the Rennline mount to accept the Spiegel MagSafe Charger.

The following 4 users liked this post by ATX_Native:
bloomjbmw (04-20-2021), irnnr (05-20-2021), RockyTop (02-23-2022), VT Blue (05-30-2022)
Old 04-19-2021 | 08:34 PM
Discomonkey
Intermediate

This looks great! I was just going to slap on the Apple MagSafe charger to the Rennline mount but this looks much better. I like the black and the cable coming into the back of the mount.

How strong is the magnet? Is it as strong as the Apple one?

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
This weekend I modified the Rennline mount to accept the Spiegel MagSafe Charger.

Last edited by Discomonkey; 04-19-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2021 | 09:26 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I tried a magnet mount. It wasn't strong enough to hold the phone over the rough pot holed flight inducing paths that are considered to be roads in West Marin.
Old 04-19-2021 | 09:49 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Discomonkey
This looks great! I was just going to slap on the Apple MagSafe charger to the Rennline mount but this looks much better. I like the black and the cable coming into the back of the mount.

How strong is the magnet? Is it as strong as the Apple one?
Magnet is super strong with a bare phone and a Spiegen MagSafe case.

It stays put on spirited drives and I can’t even shake the phone off with my hand (prior to mounting it).

I read the 1st Gen Spiegel MagSafe Car Charger was weak so they intro’d a Gen 2 with twice the magnet strength.

I made sure to buy it of Spiegel’s website so I got the latest version.

My phone case... without the ugly Apple white ring on their clear MagSafe cases. What a failure on Apples part. A clear or phone colored ring would have been much better.

Old 04-19-2021 | 09:50 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I tried a magnet mount. It wasn't strong enough to hold the phone over the rough pot holed flight inducing paths that are considered to be roads in West Marin.
My regular clear case could not hold it but I just picked up a Spiegen MagSafe Case and it solved the issue.
RockyTop (02-23-2022)
Old 04-20-2021 | 05:44 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

My case is called a Casekoo and it seems to be fine.

I haven’t attacked the wiring yet but I will. My plan is to run the from the center console to the phone mount area when I get around to it.
Old 04-20-2021 | 09:01 AM
LucV
Instructor

I ordered a RL mount as well (they have a flash sale right now, 15% off) and try to fit it with a Magsafe vent mount I got on Instagram. I'll report back if successful!
Old 04-20-2021 | 12:10 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw
I finally got around to installing a phone mount. I found a metal bracket option that is similar to the RL option except this one uses one of the radio screws to secure it instead of adhesive. I like that about it.

I purchased the mount (Panavise) and a MagSafe usb powered charger on Amazon.

https://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75132-105.pdf

Thanks for this, I just ordered this Panavise mount, much better deal than the Rennline one
bloomjbmw (04-29-2021)
Old 05-27-2022 | 07:47 PM
flat6miami
Rennlist Member

Default Spiegel mount

How were you able to remove the charger mount from the metallic ball on the spiegel mount? Ive been trying but it won’t budge and I want to make sure i don’t permanently break something
Old 05-30-2022 | 09:15 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Did the same Rennline/Spiegel hack as @ATX_Native. Took a few minutes to figure out how to extricate the ball from the Spiegel and use on the RL but if I can do it, anyone can. Don't worry if you scrape a little black off of the Spiegel in the process (I had a screwdriver slip and catch the edge)...all it takes is a black sharpie to touch up. No one will be the wiser.

While I use one of the (ugly backed) Apple cases on mine, the phone stays positively glued to the Spiegel mount. On occasion, my phone would fall off the Rennline on some of Vermont's country roads, but it stays on the Spiegel. Again, to ATX_Native's point, buy the Gen 2 version off of Spiegel's website to ensure you get their strongest mount. Well worth it.

Thx!

Bob

Old 08-20-2022 | 04:20 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

In case anyone is interested, this charger on Amazon fit the rennline ball mount without any modifications:
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-21-2022 | 05:48 PM
tnedator
Intermediate

Posted in wrong thread

Last edited by tnedator; 08-22-2022 at 12:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Another Phone Mount - MagSafe Style