Sponsored by:

Rear deck lid remove + replace

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 11:23 AM
YT61MH
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear deck lid remove + replace

Hi all. I have just joined the 997 (gen 2, C2S) club.

It has an aftermarket spoiler fitted and I am really keen to remove it. I've had quotes to remove it, fill the holes, and paint it, but many have said that filling the holes could lead to sinkage in the future. I have therefore been advised to buy a new deck lid if I can and to replace it.

I've found a new lid (from a GTS) on eBay: Porsche 997.2 GTS Engine Lid & Rear Spoiler 99751201101 | eBay

A picture of my existing lid is attached/copied here.

I have some questions about how to remove and replace my existing lid and re-engaging the pop-up spoiler.

1. Generally, how difficult is this to do. Is it doable for someone with no experience but is a relatively competent DIYer?
2. Does anyone know of any videos out there that could assist? I have searched but cannot find any.
3. One thing in particular is confusing me a lot. I am aware that I am going to need to take some parts from my existing lid (e.g. the black ducts). However, the eBay lid has some sort of black/red box to the top right. This doesn't seem to be present on my lid, but I do have the same wire. My thinking is I could keep my wire where it is connected in the engine bay, disconnect it from my existing lid, and connect it up to the new lid. Does that make sense? Not sure if I have expressed this very well at all.
4. How can I go about re-engaging the pop up spoiler?

Existing deck lid
Old 04-18-2021, 12:02 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

Morning Mark. Swapping out the deck lid is very straight forward. If you have a friend to help hold the lid when you take it off and install the replacement lid it makes the job even easier. The very first thing I would do is make sure both lids and rear of the car is clean. Next I would cover the corners and edges of the car’s engine bay and corners of the lid with 3m green painters tape so that if you don’t accidentally scratch or chip the paint anywhere during the process. The red and black thing in the picture of the lid you are going to purchase is the engine lid harnesses and connector, your car has one too just follow the wire harness on the right of your car and you will find it.

1) disconnect the positive side of the battery
2) disconnect the wire harness in the engine bay, sometimes it is a bit fiddley to separate the connectors
3) With your assistant holding the lid disconnect the gas strut, optional .
4) unscrew the four bolts holding the lid to the lift hinges closest to the lid, 2 per side
5) install your replacement lid by reattaching it to the hinges.
6) Gently close and open the lid to make sure it is adjusted correctly and that it is not hitting the body when opened and closed and the gap along the top looks even then remove the latch from your lid and attach it to the new lid and double check everything is properly aligned
7) Reattach the lift struts
8) swap over the fan and rubber air ducts
9)reattach the engine bay connector and reconnect the battery
10) you will have to take you car to someone to access your cars computer to turn the spoiler function back on or you can buy a Durametric interface to do it yourself and have access to your car’s computer anytime you want.
11) it is perfectly safe to drive your car around with out the spoiler operating but I would get it taken care of for peace of mind.
12)place an add for your old lid

Cheers

Last edited by Kuhl997.2!; 04-18-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:54 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Morning Mark. Swapping out the deck lid is very straight forward. If you have a friend to help hold the lid when you take it off and install the replacement lid it makes the job even easier. The very first thing I would do is make sure both lids and rear of the car is clean. Next I would cover the corners and edges of the car’s engine bay and corners of the lid with 3m green painters tape so that if you don’t accidentally scratch or chip the paint anywhere during the process. The red and black thing in the picture of the lid you are going to purchase is the engine lid harnesses and connector, your car has one too just follow the wire harness on the right of your car and you will find it.

1) disconnect the positive side of the battery
2) disconnect the wire harness in the engine bay, sometimes it is a bit fiddley to separate the connectors
3) With your assistant holding the lid disconnect the gas struts on both sides, your picture only shows one.
4) unscrew the four bolts holding the lid to the lift hinges closest to the lid, 2 per side
5) install your replacement lid by reattaching it to the hinges.
6) Gently close and open the lid to make sure it is adjusted correctly and that it is not hitting the body when opened and closed and the gap along the top looks even then remove the latch from your lid and attach it to the new lid and double check everything is properly aligned
7) Reattach the lift struts
8) swap over the fan and rubber air ducts
9)reattach the engine bay connector and reconnect the battery
10) you will have to take you car to someone to access your cars computer to turn the spoiler function back on or you can buy a Durametric interface to do it yourself and have access to your car’s computer anytime you want.
11) it is perfectly safe to drive your car around with out the spoiler operating but I would get it taken care of for peace of mind.
12)place an add for your old lid

Cheers
Kuhl you're a legend thanks. Do you mind if I abuse your time a little more and ask some further questions. I also intend to PM you at some point just to shoot the breeze!

Re your step 2. Do you mean disconnect the wires shown in my photo? How do you actually do that? And then for your step 9, I assume by that you mean do the reverse in respect of the wires that are on the 'new' deck?

Re your step 8. Do the rubber air ducts simply clip on / pull off? I couldn't see any screws attaching them.

Re step 3. I do indeed only have one strut. I take it that is normal / okay?!

Old 04-18-2021, 01:09 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

Check this out: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart..._Rear_Wing.htm
Old 04-18-2021, 02:10 PM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

I’ve heard from my shop that getting an original gts setup makes this return to stock much simpler. maybe the x51?

Let me know if you pass on this one on eBay or if you have another one you’ve seen? Im in your same situation with wanting to return a fixed wing to stock.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:16 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Thanks. I meant to attach this in my last post btw.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:35 PM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

Since people seem to know a lot about this.

can a non gts deck lid/spoiler/venting fit a gts if you were to do the x51 vent hole cutting?

thanks.

Quick Reply: Rear deck lid remove + replace