Sponsored by:

Dip at front of the frunk lid - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 03:46 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
If I have to be that exact and meticulous to even see said dip then I can just live with whatever defect or intentional design Porsche put in there. LOL.
Ha indeed, that's just what I wanted to check. i.e why it was there? and am I just kidding myself because I could get it easily fixed before getting it's front end respray.

The why, I think I can now self answer. There is a metal panel welded directly under that front bit and it seems to run from there across the full width of the panel and up to roughly the middle the part of the badge.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:51 PM
Optimal Fynn
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's another angle with a tree reflection to confirm - definitely not there on mine! In its ~40k miles and 15 years I couldn't believe no one has slammed the frunk shut (but I certainly haven't!) so they must have changed it right?
Old 04-12-2021, 03:54 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by v6matt
Ha indeed, that's just what I wanted to check. i.e why it was there? and am I just kidding myself because I could get it easily fixed before getting it's front end respray.

The why, I think I can now self answer. There is a metal panel welded directly under that front bit and it seems to run from there across the full width of the panel and up to roughly the middle the part of the badge.
I honestly can see no dip in the panel. It looks flat to me. I’m going to place a piece of paper on top of that section later to see if there’s any dip at all and report back.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 04-12-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:01 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Optimal Fynn

Here's another angle with a tree reflection to confirm - definitely not there on mine! In its ~40k miles and 15 years I couldn't believe no one has slammed the frunk shut (but I certainly haven't!) so they must have changed it right?
That does look pretty even to me, there might be a small amount of distortion to the bottom left of badge but it could equally just be where the AF on your camera hasn't quite hit the mark.

Look at the thinner branches and their clarity vs the ones directly above the badge

Last edited by v6matt; 04-12-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:04 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Unrelated question- is recreational marijuana legal in your state?
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 04:05 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by linderpat
Unrelated question- is recreational marijuana legal in your state?
Fair question, I am just a detail person.

I can spot a resprayed panel a mile off, something wrong in the membrane !
linderpat (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 05:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

I'm thinking I understand what you are saying now. If you press on the badge to close the lid that pressure will bend the lid over time and cause a depression. You really want to press in front of the badge where the latch is. Finger prints be damned!!!

Am I on track with your concerns?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:16 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

I went and put a sheet of paper on that section of the hood to see if I could detect any dip from the side view and still can’t see any depression...just a natural slope of the lid at an even angle. Maybe the ones you looked at had been pushed in from people pressing down in the wrong spot to close the lid?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:19 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I'm thinking I understand what you are saying now. If you press on the badge to close the lid that pressure will bend the lid over time and cause a depression. You really want to press in front of the badge where the latch is. Finger prints be damned!!!

This is what I've been told/heard as well - no close on the stinkin Badge!
Old 04-12-2021, 05:33 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

Not quite as all the 997s local to me have that odd reflection across the entire lower panel, from about the middle of the badge downwards. It could look like/be assumed it was that but it would be very odd to have it consistent from left edge to right.

It seems that Porsche weld a reinforced panel directly underneath the described area and I suspect it's that.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:35 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

I went and put a sheet of paper on that section of the hood to see if I could detect any dip from the side view and still can’t see any depression...just a natural slope of the lid at an even angle. Maybe the ones you looked at had been pushed in from people pressing down in the wrong spot to close the lid?
As I said, my wording was poor...it's not really a dip. If I was to raise the bonnet and look across the curvature then it would be perfectly even. I think it's something to do with that welded panel from the front lip
Old 04-12-2021, 06:09 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

I try to stay away from threads that will jinx my lust of my life, eg battery dead and can’t open frunk, my cab broke and won’t close top properly, my motor mounts are sagging, etc. Thought this thread ok to read, but oh no.
Now I’ll spend hours and hours looking at my hood trying to find a microscopic crease. Worst is every time I gently press on the badge to latch it, I’ll live in fear of bending it.

Thinking only 2 options; stop reading the forum or move to state with legal pot.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:42 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v6matt
As I said, my wording was poor...it's not really a dip. If I was to raise the bonnet and look across the curvature then it would be perfectly even. I think it's something to do with that welded panel from the front lip
At this point, I’m giving up and not giving another thought, as to me, I don’t see anything wrong with the panel at all. Lol.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
I try to stay away from threads that will jinx my lust of my life, eg battery dead and can’t open frunk, my cab broke and won’t close top properly, my motor mounts are sagging, etc. Thought this thread ok to read, but oh no.
Now I’ll spend hours and hours looking at my hood trying to find a microscopic crease. Worst is every time I gently press on the badge to latch it, I’ll live in fear of bending it.

Thinking only 2 options; stop reading the forum or move to state with legal pot.
LOL. Seriously! Due to this forum, I’ve paid attention to my tailpipes and how sooty they become, the gap between my tailpipe and the bumper, making sure not to idle my car after starting it, checking oil level all the time, whether to use oil additives or not. It’s crazy. I’m just driving the dang thing until it leaves me on the side of the road from now on. 😁
ManoTexas (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:19 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

LOL. Seriously! Due to this forum, I’ve paid attention to my tailpipes and how sooty they become, the gap between my tailpipe and the bumper, making sure not to idle my car after starting it, checking oil level all the time, whether to use oil additives or not. It’s crazy. I’m just driving the dang thing until it leaves me on the side of the road from now on. 😁
Damn, forgot about worrying about idling after backing out of garage to put golf clubs in. That’ll take another joint to overcome my fear. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by ManoTexas; 04-12-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Carreralicious (04-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Dip at front of the frunk lid - Why?