Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AOS via engine drop; What else should be do at same time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 05:23 PM
maxandgrinch
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AOS via engine drop; What else should be do at same time?

'08 C2 3.6/tip 86,000'ish miles.

EDIT: do = done in the title

AOS 'popped,' failed, mussed the garage floor, etc.

What else makes sense to replace at the same time when the engine is out? I'm a big preventive maintenance fan, maybe just paranoid(?) and while it's out, it is 'only' the cost of parts.

All the associated hoses, clamps, and clips on Katalog page 26/Illustration 104-10, intake and TB gaskets have also been replaced.

Coolant reservoir, cap, and the cooling system hoses that attached to the engine have been replaced. Coils/plugs were done 5k ago.

Why drop the engine? After many many hours of reassembly attempts, and then many many more hours of trying it, I'm giving up on that $%^* front intake manifold bolt that is 'under,' a part of the wiring harness - pre-alignment photo below. Much thanks to the instructions provided by 911ct in the Maintenance/Service DIY thread.

Other DIYers looking for details: Spring clamp pliers: cable operated set are great, but the clamp part may not fit into the niche for the hose at the bottom of the AOS. Lisle 17370 long 35 degree bend saved my bacon, while Lisle 17100 were useless and will cause an eye roll when you see them in person- especially if you have a donor set of pliers and can weld. Cheap wireless endoscope and GoPro with the ability to broadcast to a phone or tablet were both amazingly helpful. The 30 money unit endoscopes all kinda suck, so read reviews of the app they use for the decision. GoPro had much better image, but wouldn't fit in some the of spaces required.

Many more photos that may be helpful I'll share when back on the road and the frustration level drops a bit.

997.1 aos replacement intake manifold bolt cylinder #3 AKA The Bastard

Last edited by maxandgrinch; 02-28-2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: ask for forgiveness for not idiot checking title grammar

Quick Reply: AOS via engine drop; What else should be do at same time?