Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021 | 10:07 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Default HPDE Question

I have a 997.2 and it is a manual. For the fastest in cornering. When should I completely let out the clutch and engage the gear whatever it is. I have heard many different answers and I am not sure which is correct. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2021 | 10:43 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
I have a 997.2 and it is a manual. For the fastest in cornering. When should I completely let out the clutch and engage the gear whatever it is. I have heard many different answers and I am not sure which is correct. Thanks in advance.

For your purpose, always complete gear changes prior to turning. Stay on power through the turn, and increase as you exit. You will want to brake in a straight line before entering the turn, using a proper heel-toe technique to downshift, then immediately switch to maintenance throttle as you enter the turn and all the way to the apex. Once you reach the apex, smoothly roll on the throttle while unwinding the steering wheel. The 911 has tremendous launch power due to 65% of the weight being over the rear, power wheels! Hope this answers your question!
The following 4 users liked this post by ThomasCarreraGTS:
exylyr (02-24-2021), plpete84 (02-24-2021), RacerWannabe (02-24-2021), Scalp_em (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:09 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

As mentioned above complete the gear change before turn in. Definitely off the clutch, I have had quite a few students who want to wait till mid corner to come off the clutch. The idea is to keep the car as balanced as possible
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:18 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

So the clutch should be completely out before I even start turning the steering wheel? I should be in the gear that I will need coming out of the corner.

Since I am off the clutch could I brake with my left foot if I can’t heel toe smoothly?

Last edited by doclouie; 02-23-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:26 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bgoetz
As mentioned above complete the gear change before turn in. Definitely off the clutch, I have had quite a few students who want to wait till mid corner to come off the clutch. The idea is to keep the car as balanced as possible
Currently I am right there with you students getting off the clutch half way around the corner. I have some habits to change.
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:36 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

So the clutch should be completely out before I even start turning the steering wheel? I should be in the gear that I will need coming out of the corner.

Since I am off the clutch could I brake with my left foot if I can’t heel toe smoothly?
Yes, all braking and downshifting should be completed before turning. The gear you want to be in depends on the size, speed and length of the turn. In general, as a new driver, you want to downshift to the gear you'll be in for the entire turn, and for the exit. The 997 is exceptionally easy to heel and toe. Practice at every red light you come upon, but make sure to have it down before you use it on track! Heel and right side of your right foot on the gas, and tip of your big toe and left side of your right foot firmly on the brake. While applying maximum brake pressure, roll your foot to the right, blipping the throttle pedal. You wont want to slip off the brake pedal if you're hauling down from high speed and coming up on a turn. Yes, you can brake without heel and toe if you have to, but use your right foot. The left foot should be for the clutch only. And if you don't heel and toe, you will need to decrease your speed and will be much slower around the track, because you'll have to be very careful not to dump the clutch. If you dump the clutch, the car can go sideways very easy, and you'll end up in bad shape. Heel and toe also saves a lot of stress and wear on your transmission, suspension and other components!

Last edited by ThomasCarreraGTS; 02-23-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:41 PM
atihun
Instructor

You should be fully in gear and off brake before turn in with enough speed where you are lightly on throttle into the turn and ease into as much or full throttle while unwinding the steering wheel.

The pedals are close enough to not need heel to toe. I use the following method and to me it’s more efficient.

The following 6 users liked this post by atihun:
8KaboveMSL (02-24-2021), 997.2GTS (02-24-2021), DesmoSD (02-24-2021), dmpslc (02-24-2021), Liste-Renn (02-25-2021), Scalp_em (02-24-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:46 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

As others have almost said, the throttle pedal is critical to keeping the car balanced and transferring weight where it is needed for grip while you are cornering. Car starting to understeer? Back off the throttle a bit and let the engine slow the car and transfer weigh to the front tires. Rear end loose or oversteer? Apply some throttle to shift the weight back to the rear tires. The faster you go, the more subtle these actions are, and the more important they become to staying on the black stuff.
If you aren't in gear, you have no way to regulate your weight/grip.

As an instructor friend is fond of saying, " Clutch in is no wheel drive."

Last edited by 4Driver4; 02-23-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:49 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Thank you so much for clearing this up. I wanted to really get into events last year and then Covid happened. There have been events, but they have not allowed instructors in the car so I have not gone as I do not want to undo bad habits.
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:51 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much for clearing this up. I wanted to really get into events last year and then Covid happened. There have been events, but they have not allowed instructors in the car so I have not gone as I do not want to undo bad habits.
What state are you in?
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:52 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Heel and right side of your right foot on the gas, and tip of your big toe and left side of your right foot firmly on the brake. While applying maximum brake pressure, roll your foot to the right, blipping the throttle pedal. You wont want to slip off the brake pedal if you're hauling down from high speed and coming up on a turn.
Your feet have a different shape than mine.

Last edited by roadie13; 02-23-2021 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:59 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

The YouTube video Atihun shared is a good one. Also, before you go to a track day event, there are some things you’ll need to know and bring. I made this video to help new track rats!

HOW TO BECOME A RACE CAR DRIVER (How to get a racing license)

The following users liked this post:
doclouie (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 12:00 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

What state are you in?
3 hours south of Dallas.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 12:06 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

3 hours south of Dallas.
I’ll be instructing at COTA again March 27 and 28. Come on out and ill take you for hot laps in my GTS. If you end up signing up for the event, I'm also happy to instruct you. And we are allowed to ride in your car. I can also show you what your car can do!
The following 3 users liked this post by ThomasCarreraGTS:
DesmoSD (02-24-2021), doclouie (02-24-2021), heavysixer22 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 12:25 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I’ll be instructing at COTA again March 27 and 28. Come on out and ill take you for hot laps in my GTS. If you end up signing up for the event, I'm also happy to instruct you. And we are allowed to ride in your car. I can also show you what your car can do!
I would love that, but Edge Addict’s lowest level is yellow for this event. Which I ran in the yellow group in the afternoon last time I was at COTA and was towards the back of the group, but there were 3-4 cars behind me. They want 3+ track days and I have like 1+. Maybe I will reach out to Karen and see what I can do.

Last edited by doclouie; 02-24-2021 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: HPDE Question