Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk to me about PSS9 (and other) street coilover tuning - little DE use

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 04:52 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Talk to me about PSS9 (and other) street coilover tuning - little DE use

I've done some reading over the years and always thought about suspension tuning on a number of cars I've owned (multiple Audi S4s, 997.1 C2S, 987.1S, etc) but have never done anything about it. Even thought of a mild lift on my daily 4Runner. I haven't because I subscribe to the idea that I'm no engineer, my parts aren't sufficiently worn as to really NEED and upgrade, and the project would squarely be a "want" not a "need" and I don't want to jeopardize the car's intended handling character too drastically. That said, I now have a 997.2 base 6mt coupe (non-PASM) with 18" Carrera IV wheels. I've always thought the Carrera II S 19" wheel is the ideal look in my mind and now that I'm close to a new set of tires, I'm thinking about getting a set and getting to work. Problem is I feel it really needs a subtle drop to make things look correct.

Use case: street only, zero track. I have another car that I whip around the track, so I'm looking for excellent street manners. I don't think I want to go aftermarket spring only, but may be talked into it. Good quality coilovers strike me as being a better solution for the aesthetics, ride, and handling means do the complete solution - even if it costs much more. This car will be with me for the long haul.

Is there a "model go-by" coil over damper setting (or even range) that's generally accepted for this or any intended use? I guess to describe it in words, I'm looking for the softer PASM setting type feel, but just with the ability to dial in the ride height to a subtle but not slammed stance and leave it alone. I don't know how much I want to tweak and test...more set it and forget it. Surely a reputable suspension shop would know, but I just want to understand what I may be getting into.

thanks.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:38 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I have PSS9 on my base carrera and 18" wheels.
I did not do crazy drop on ride height. I dialed mine to give me 1/2 inch drop to avoid scrapping and ground clearance issues.

To me, ride quality is just right with 18" wheels (with setting of 5 front and 4 rear) but damping is much better. It rides nicely/acceptable in pothole ladden metro Detroit roads. 19" wheels will ride stiffer than 18". Might want to put that into consideration.

PSS9 eliminates the rear bounce/tendency to step out on higher speed long bumpy highway ramp, the rear feel more planted and car responds quicker to steering input (very useful in dodging famous Detroit potholes).

I would say PSS9 is designed to be a sporty street coilvover that can withstand occasional DE use. It is not a hardcore track coilover that beat you up on the street. I personally highly recommend PSS9 for somebody who wants a comfortable but sporty coilovers.

Last edited by laphan; 02-18-2021 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:36 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I have PSS9 on my 997.2 base with 19’s. Would agree that it rides stiff, am very curious to fit 18s and see how it improves. You can generally dial in the PSS9 pretty good, it will be stiffer than stock, but if you’re ok with that they are pretty excellent in the canyons on twisty roads.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4
I've done some reading over the years and always thought about suspension tuning on a number of cars I've owned (multiple Audi S4s, 997.1 C2S, 987.1S, etc) but have never done anything about it. Even thought of a mild lift on my daily 4Runner. I haven't because I subscribe to the idea that I'm no engineer, my parts aren't sufficiently worn as to really NEED and upgrade, and the project would squarely be a "want" not a "need" and I don't want to jeopardize the car's intended handling character too drastically. That said, I now have a 997.2 base 6mt coupe (non-PASM) with 18" Carrera IV wheels. I've always thought the Carrera II S 19" wheel is the ideal look in my mind and now that I'm close to a new set of tires, I'm thinking about getting a set and getting to work. Problem is I feel it really needs a subtle drop to make things look correct.

Use case: street only, zero track. I have another car that I whip around the track, so I'm looking for excellent street manners. I don't think I want to go aftermarket spring only, but may be talked into it. Good quality coilovers strike me as being a better solution for the aesthetics, ride, and handling means do the complete solution - even if it costs much more. This car will be with me for the long haul.

Is there a "model go-by" coil over damper setting (or even range) that's generally accepted for this or any intended use? I guess to describe it in words, I'm looking for the softer PASM setting type feel, but just with the ability to dial in the ride height to a subtle but not slammed stance and leave it alone. I don't know how much I want to tweak and test...more set it and forget it. Surely a reputable suspension shop would know, but I just want to understand what I may be getting into.

thanks.
I still think the most compliant set up one can get for street driving (once leaking to coil overs) is going to be the manually adjustable PSS9's. The range just isn't there on the PASM damptronic kits (I know it's nice to maintain the pasm button in theory). For slightly more track-focused stuff the Ohlins Road & Track is the next favorite. The spring rate is more aggressive than any Bilstein kit and so you loose some comliancy on the street though. You're right about the larger sidewall with 18s vs 19s too. On gen2 cars we've really had a lot of luck with keeping the stock pasm and using a 20mm lowering spring from TechArt.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:31 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
I still think the most compliant set up one can get for street driving (once leaking to coil overs) is going to be the manually adjustable PSS9's. The range just isn't there on the PASM damptronic kits (I know it's nice to maintain the pasm button in theory). For slightly more track-focused stuff the Ohlins Road & Track is the next favorite. The spring rate is more aggressive than any Bilstein kit and so you loose some comliancy on the street though. You're right about the larger sidewall with 18s vs 19s too. On gen2 cars we've really had a lot of luck with keeping the stock pasm and using a 20mm lowering spring from TechArt.
Thanks to you and the others who chimed in. PSS9s sound exactly like what I had in mind. I do not have PASM currently, so I'm just looking for a modest drop and compliant ride - similar to PASM on the soft setting. Looking to avoid overly aggressive height and/or spring rates. Basically, just a very high quality street setup replacement for my OEM stuff, but just taking out some of the ride height that my non-PASM car has. Both my prior cars had PASM and while I liked the look, I never used the firmer setting. Never felt the need at all.

As for sizing up to 19", I may not. The Carrera IVs I have now sometimes remind me of GT3 wheels, and the extra sidewall is a good thing on our terrible roads. Mine, unfortunately have some oxidation on them from the prior owner's likely use of harsh cleaning agents, hence the thought to move up to Carrera II Sport 19s.

Sounds like the only decision is the wheel part...hard to come up with a compelling argument for anything but the PSS9s. They seem to be universally liked on this application.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:56 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Base '09 cab with PSS9's in their softest setting. I have it quite low too as you can see. The overall ride of the car is very good. If you're looking for adjustability in both ride height and comfort they're a great way to go.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about PSS9 (and other) street coilover tuning - little DE use