Sponsored by:

Ducktail for 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Ducktail for 997.1

I’m shopping for a ducktail to put on my 997.1.

Anyone who has installed a ducktail on their 997, please help me out (qikcuban are you out there?!).

I’m leaning toward a Getty Sport, but like the Getty Classic (no rear brake light looks better IMO, while the Sport has a nice curve).

Getty charges $279 for the wiring harness, and $299 to prep/primer the tail. I think I can forgo the wiring harness by disabling the rear wing, and the primer service is unnecessary (it needs to get painted at a body shop so it will get primer/prepped there).

Has anyone installed the Getty Ducktail? Any thoughts on the wiring harness?

Also, RPG makes a nice wing. Has anyone installed this version?

https://www.rpgcarbon.com/product-pa...d-wing-spoiler

Recommendations welcomed.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:36 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I went w/ a Getty Design on my 997. Mike from Getty recommended to me to have them do the priming. The body shop did have to do the finishing touch up. I paid $650 to have the ducktail sanded and painted black. I have the Fabspeed duel intake so I had Getty give me two intake openings.

A couple of things to keep in mind. I wanted my screens to be painted black and the body shop didn’t know how they would install them. I had to remind them that I was at a body shop and they would know better on how to make them stick to the ducktail than I would. Once the screens were installed I was not able to hide the wiring harnesses. When you look down you see the wiring harnesses through the screens.

Pro tip consider buying third brake light delete if you choose to the ducktail with the brake light in it. If you don’t someone will recommend that you replace it.

Good luck with your decision. I do not mean to speak out of line with this next comment. Mike told me that some of his fabricators are going to retire soon. This motivated me to buy mine when I did. I got mind in May of 2019.

The following 2 users liked this post by BaileyII:
myw (03-24-2021), ncracing (05-15-2023)
Old 02-09-2021, 05:48 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Getty with prep and brake light.

The following users liked this post:
myw (03-24-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 11:46 AM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Thank you both for the responses and photos. I love the look!

I will probably request the rear brake light delete, sport style ducktail.

I’m inclined to forgo prime/prep, and the wiring harness. It adds about $600 to the cost, and it doesn’t seem like it’s needed.

I believe I can just disable the rear deck spoiler. (Code it out)
Old 02-10-2021, 12:21 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 55 Posts

My recent quick write up on my Getty. Getty Ducktail - A tale/tail in 12 photos - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

My shop said forgo the primer service so cannot recommend or comment on that. Great quality product and nice fit & finish.

Someday I will do the panel delete but the price is crazy for such a small simple piece...yeah I know...because Porsche.

Buy a FoxWell NT530 to fix the code & it is useful for other functions.

Good luck & hope to see a picture soon.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:35 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 147 Posts

You can get a brand new third brake light delete panel for less than $270. https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...99750434501grv
If you still think it's too pricy, remember it's made of aluminum instead of steel.
Freakhead (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Originally Posted by Freakhead
My recent quick write up on my Getty. Getty Ducktail - A tale/tail in 12 photos - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

My shop said forgo the primer service so cannot recommend or comment on that. Great quality product and nice fit & finish.

Someday I will do the panel delete but the price is crazy for such a small simple piece...yeah I know...because Porsche.

Buy a FoxWell NT530 to fix the code & it is useful for other functions.

Good luck & hope to see a picture soon.

Thanks! Nice write up. My buddy has a Foxwell, which was my thought on how to avoid the wiring harness. Sounds like the body shop can prep it there. This is a nice savings (40%!).

Appreciate the replies.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:58 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Originally Posted by J.Tan
You can get a brand new third brake light delete panel for less than $270. https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...99750434501grv
If you still think it's too pricy, remember it's made of aluminum instead of steel.
Thanks for link, will consider it in spring....though by the time she gets into Canada with shipping, duty & prices it nudges up. I likely will do it at some point but first up is springs & maybe head unit (dynavin or if Porsche releases theirs...)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:12 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

The green car in your first post with the CSR reg plate is actually from an indy here in the UK ( RPM Technik), they do a “Singer” style build for 996 & 997 under the CSR moniker.

The ducktails are made from carbon fibre in the same factory that makes Redbull and McLaren F1 parts, I have one installed on my 997.2 and can recommend it 100%. Fit and finish is OEM.

I agree if you are getting the ducktail get the third brake light delete panel. Lastly you will need a new harness and strut.

Or go the whole way and get pepita seat inserts also.... this is the OEM agate grey fabric from the 911R and 50th anniversary.

Last edited by whacko77uk; 02-11-2021 at 07:16 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by whacko77uk:
997ajk (04-13-2021), ATX_Native (04-13-2021), DrVolkl (03-23-2021), Freakhead (02-11-2021), myw (03-24-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:06 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by whacko77uk
The green car in your first post with the CSR reg plate is actually from an indy here in the UK ( RPM Technik), they do a “Singer” style build for 996 & 997 under the CSR moniker.

The ducktails are made from carbon fibre in the same factory that makes Redbull and McLaren F1 parts, I have one installed on my 997.2 and can recommend it 100%. Fit and finish is OEM.

I agree if you are getting the ducktail get the third brake light delete panel. Lastly you will need a new harness and strut.

Or go the whole way and get pepita seat inserts also.... this is the OEM agate grey fabric from the 911R and 50th anniversary.

I have a Getty ducktail waiting to be painted and installed this spring. Never heard about the need for a new strut. Care to elaborate?
Old 02-11-2021, 10:17 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Not used a Getty ducktail, but on the carbon fibre one the shop supplies them with both the harness and strut as part of the package as opposed to optional extras.

I understand it is to do with the lighter weight of the ducktail, it is an OEM part and cost circa £25 as per the breakdown on my invoice, unfortunately there is no part number visible.

Then again I had mine supplied and fitted along with the delete panel, by RPM here in the UK.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:19 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Not used a Getty ducktail, but on the carbon fibre one the shop supplies them with both the harness and strut as part of the package as opposed to optional extras.

I understand it is to do with the lighter weight of the ducktail, it is an OEM part and cost circa £25 as per the breakdown on my invoice, unfortunately there is no part number visible.

Then again I had mine supplied and fitted along with the delete panel, by RPM here in the UK.
Got it, thank you!
Old 02-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Very familiar with CSR. Love their builds and custom set-up.

Your 997.2 setup looks really nice. Pepita Seat Inserts look great.

I’m still not sure why the wiring harness is needed. I’m thinking I’ll just disable the rear spoiler and save the $300.
whacko77uk (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 12:22 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

I may be off but I thought the new wiring harness was required to allow the new third brake light in the ducktail to function correctly since the oem third brake light will no longer work.

Separately from the harness issue, the car also needs to be re-coded to a "fixed spoiler" car so that you don't get the active spoiler malfunction error above 75 mph.

I bought the extra harness and the paint prep service form Getty. Paid by check and received a pretty decent discount over what they advertise. I think it was $1,800 shipped for the Sport ducktail, wiring harness, and prep work. I also found some OEM Sport Classic mesh on eBay as I m not a fan of the metal mesh they supply.

Picked up a Foxwell NT530 for the wing coding and just to have.

Last edited by 850tgul; 02-11-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:24 PM
Freakhead
Racer

The Getty did not come with a strut & a new one was not billed from my install shop. I ordered the harness just to make it easy to switch spoilers if ever needed....not sure if that will ever occur but was my thought process.

The Pepita interior is outstanding.
whacko77uk (02-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Ducktail for 997.1