Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Passenger Airbag Indicator Lamp WITHOUT Removing Center Console 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 12:17 AM
thunder911
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Replace Passenger Airbag Indicator Lamp WITHOUT Removing Center Console 997.2

Greetings,

Hated the chipped passenger airbag indicator lamp/light on my ride (see photo A). The part is cheap $30 (see photo B) and LITERALLY cheap as it is thin and seems to chip easy. But, Porsche couldn't just make it easy to replace huh?

The limited # of DIY vids, other how-tos, and my own indy states that you need to remove the whole center console which I wanted to avoid (unless I had other mods in mind - which I don't at the time). So, my plan was to pull it out without damaging the center console.

Basically, I chipped away at the plastic until I got to the very edge of the hole in the center console that secures the lamp. I used plastic tools and taped the surroundings to avoid scratches, etc. Once I got to a certain position (see photo C), I stuck a guitar pick on 1 side and used a needle nosed plier to take the top plastic face off, breaking apart the unit (see photo D). Then I gently pulled the unit outward with the cables still attached. Then, I took a mini crevice tipped vacuum and sucked out the tiny pieces from the inside of the console using a flashlight. After, I unhooked the cable, attached the new unit and popped it back in the console hole. And cleaned up the console with some interior detailer spray/microfiber. Done (see photo E).

Caveats: (1) I tried avoiding unplugging the battery (didn't want to reprogram garage door/radio) by not inserting my key into the ignition and not using any electric parts during the install, but I ended up triggering the airbag fault code light anyway, which means I have to use my scanner to remove it now; and (2) as I was pulling the face of the unit off, 1 of the 2 metal clips dropped into the center console - d'oh! (see photo D circled in red). I did locate it with my flashlight and attempted to retrieve it with a plastic tool, but instead I pushed it somewhere under the manual shift lever. I tried retrieving it with my tiny vacuum stick, but couldn't locate it. Which means, I have to remove the boot when I get chance and remove it if it bothers me - no biggy,

Hope it helps someone out there...

PHOTO A

PHOTO B

PHOTO C

PHOTO D

PHOTO E

Old 02-09-2021, 09:59 AM
997jmg
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for posting this... I've been wondering if this could be done without removing the whole Center Console.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:04 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Doesn’t take much to partially remove the console over the shifter if you aren’t taking it off completely. Might get you enough room so slide a hand under if you remove the shift boot too .... can’t remember now.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:35 PM
thunder911
Instructor

Originally Posted by workhurts
Doesn’t take much to partially remove the console over the shifter if you aren’t taking it off completely. Might get you enough room so slide a hand under if you remove the shift boot too .... can’t remember now.
Yeah, you have to pry off the shift boot with a trim tool and twist right and pull the shift ****/boot off, then I would have access to the center carpet, but it's just a clip and it's not doing any harm especially to the shift cables since they are located more further in rear. I'm sure I'll get to it soon. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:37 AM
thunder911
Instructor

Update:

Yay...Removed the center console to remove the 2 of 2 passenger airbag indicator lamp clip. That's a LOT of work to replace a $30 part!

Old 02-20-2021, 01:38 AM
thunder911
Instructor

Did get to vacuum the inner center console. LOL! Good luck!
Old 02-21-2021, 06:30 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Wow this was a lot of effort but glad you got it

Simpler version for those attempting in the future and are replacing the whole part:
  1. Disconnect battery and let car sit for at least an hour
  2. Drill a tiny pilot hole directly in the center of the light
  3. Thread in a substantially sized screw eye.
  4. stick a large screwdriver through the screw eye
  5. One hand on the shaft of screwdriver. one hand on the handle
  6. pull up

I've also seen success pulling off the shifter trim (leave it on the shifter lever), getting a screw driver in behind the shifter and above the cables and then using a fulcrum to pop it out. Never tried that though since I was replacing mine.

Quick Reply: Replace Passenger Airbag Indicator Lamp WITHOUT Removing Center Console 997.2