Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-Piece Forged Wheel Restoration (HRE's)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 04:58 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts
Default 3-Piece Forged Wheel Restoration (HRE's)

Would be interested to know if anyone has direct experience with rebuilding / finish restoration of 3-piece forged wheels. (Wheels in question are HRE's).

(I know there's a sub-forum on wheels - but it looks like it's in a state of suspended animation...)

What I would be interested in knowing is any specifics on the process(es), component sources / resources, quality re-finishing sources...

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:39 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

HRE will rebuild them for you. I believe the insist on all new hardware purchase included in the price.

If you go elsewhere, make sure you go with someone experienced in 3pc wheel building. The hardware has to be torqued to a certain spec, and also the wheel has to be sealed properly or you get leaks. If the hardware is torqued unevenly then you can have other issues. I personally would buy new hardware if I were to do it.

Rebuilding and refinishing them right is not cheap. But can be worth it if you have a valuable vintage set. If not one of the really nice vintage designs, then you have potential to spend a lot on something that may not have a lot of value.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2021, 06:12 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halo777
HRE will rebuild them for you. I believe the insist on all new hardware purchase included in the price.

If you go elsewhere, make sure you go with someone experienced in 3pc wheel building. The hardware has to be torqued to a certain spec, and also the wheel has to be sealed properly or you get leaks. If the hardware is torqued unevenly then you can have other issues. I personally would buy new hardware if I were to do it.

Rebuilding and refinishing them right is not cheap. But can be worth it if you have a valuable vintage set. If not one of the really nice vintage designs, then you have potential to spend a lot on something that may not have a lot of value.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply halo777. Good information.

The set is no longer being produced. Competition Series (C20).

All of the fastening hardware is titanium - not too concerned about having to replace that. Proper torque values for the fasteners should not be too difficult to determine and achieve. Same for the sealing process.

HRE would be the first choice if cost / price was not a consideration. I will have a conversation with them. In posts that I've read, HRE seems quick to convey that the warranty on their wheels will be voided if the wheels are not refurbished by them. What is not conveyed at the same time however is that the warranty is only applicable to the original purchaser of the wheels - so in my case, there's no warranty anyway. They caution against use of chemical strippers that are too caustic for the forged aluminum and also against powder coating in ovens that are not properly temperature regulated. (Too much exposure to heat is said to compromise the structural strength of the aluminum.)

I want to ensure a proper / quality job, but at the same time, I don't want spend needlessly and indiscriminately on replacing things that are in perfectly good order or unnecessary processes.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:26 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Cool. It sounds like you have done your research. Below is the thread that I started to follow when I went to work on a set I had

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...hoto-intensive)

I ended up stopping the job after the work to dismantle them took way more time and effort than expected. The job seemed just too big and too much time for me.

I sold them locally and the buyer had the fully refurbished and on his car looking awesome two weeks later! LOL. He was obviously more skilled at this type of work, then I.

​​​
Old 02-06-2021, 09:34 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

they were vintage Speedline
more pics at the classified listing
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...18-wheels.html

I have to say, they suited his car perfectly, after he did an amazing job on the refurb!!!

Last edited by halo777; 02-06-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:40 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Cool. It sounds like you have done your research. Below is the thread that I started to follow when I went to work on a set I had

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...hoto-intensive)

I ended up stopping the job after the work to dismantle them took way more time and effort than expected. The job seemed just too big and too much time for me.

I sold them locally and the buyer had the fully refurbished and on his car looking awesome two weeks later! LOL. He was obviously more skilled at this type of work, then I.

​​​
Very coincidental that you posted that link - I had just been looking at it a short time ago!
Old 02-11-2021, 12:42 AM
Savage997
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I did all the disassembly and reassemble myself on a set of 3pc hre had a reputable powder coater do his job and they came out great, I do run a wheel and tire shop so I have a background in wheels and tires but if your handy and take the time It’s a def something u can handle

The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (02-11-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 12:29 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

It's not something I would try to DIY, but there are lots of custom wheel shops that perform this kind of work. I'd call around your local area. I've generally found that wheel shops tend to be more truthful about if they can do the job well, rather than some other vendors in the automotive arena. IE: Paint and Body guys who say they can fix anything then fail at it with mis-matched blends and the like. Maybe they see more repeat business or don't want a bad rap, but that's just my experience.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Others surely have had some success with a DYI on 3-piece wheels. Good for them.

I'm not going that route. These are expensive wheels and I'm not going to chance doing the work myself and trying to "learn" on them.

I've had some detailed discussion with HRE and they've conveyed pricing for the work. I know they would do an outstanding job - however the pricing they've quoted me is ridiculous.

Fortunately I've located a company that is very experienced with this type of work. Very detail oriented - in fact they raise the process to an art form. Reasonable pricing as well.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:57 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback.

HRE provided a detailed quote on the restoration / rebuild work that they advised me to have done on them. That quote did not include replacing the fastening hardware (the hardware on these wheels is titanium.) I've read in other accounts that HRE automatically replaces the fastening hardware and their pricing includes doing that. (Not in my case. The hardware alone is $500+). Turnaround time for them doing the work was about 6 weeks (but they said could be less.)

I will not be using HRE for the project.

When the work on these wheels is completed, I will post before / after photos.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:40 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 146 Posts

You could PM @mykalogist about this, he apparently rebuilds and sells 3pc wheels as a side gig
Ironman88 (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 02:51 PM
mykalogist
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acr89
You could PM @mykalogist about this, he apparently rebuilds and sells 3pc wheels as a side gig
Hi, yes. I usually take them apart, bring them to my painter who powder coats and polish them if needed then I reassemble them. It's not a very hard job just tedious. If you have the proper tools (bolt removal tool, torque wrench and sealant) then all you need is time. Let me know if you have any questions, my of the wheels I rebuild are HREs.
Ironman88 (02-12-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:09 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts

The real question is why the hardware needs to be replaced? Titanium should be good for more than 1 use. I bet they hardware just gets hard to clean with it being small and having a ton of profiles to it. So they just say buy new. That seems odd, it's a very strong material and quite expensive.

Halo that looks incredible, i keep contemplating a remade speedline for my 997. Most definitive porsche rim ever.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:28 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
The real question is why the hardware needs to be replaced? Titanium should be good for more than 1 use. I bet they hardware just gets hard to clean with it being small and having a ton of profiles to it. So they just say buy new. That seems odd, it's a very strong material and quite expensive.

Halo that looks incredible, i keep contemplating a remade speedline for my 997. Most definitive porsche rim ever.
In the case of Titanium hardware, I agree with you. HRE uses it in the first place to achieve weight reduction and reduce rotational inertia. The long-term durability (strength and resistance to corrosion) of it is another big advantage of the material.

Cleaning the fasteners would be easy in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Maybe the "replace with new" mentality is driven by advice from their legal department... (although in my case they indicated it would be reused).

The hardware on my wheels looks to be in great shape. Should be fine to reuse.

TommyV44 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 06:04 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
In the case of Titanium hardware, I agree with you. HRE uses it in the first place to achieve weight reduction and reduce rotational inertia. The long-term durability (strength and resistance to corrosion) of it is another big advantage of the material.

Cleaning the fasteners would be easy in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Maybe the "replace with new" mentality is driven by advice from their legal department... (although in my case they indicated it would be reused).

The hardware on my wheels looks to be in great shape. Should be fine to reuse.

Good Luck my friend!!

Tom

Quick Reply: 3-Piece Forged Wheel Restoration (HRE's)