Sponsored by:

997.2 GT2RS OEM Fenders on 997.2 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 06:49 PM
Nick M.
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.2 GT2RS OEM Fenders on 997.2 Turbo S

I'm new to this thread, and I just purchased a 997.2 Turbo S. I wanted to add the OEM Carbon Fenders from the GT2RS on my car, I just wanted to know if anybody has done this? If so, what bumper piece did you use to make the fender flush to the Turbo S bumper. I've seen a couple other people attempt this, but it wasn't with the OEM fenders. I've seen the kits that they sale online, but it doesn't seem like it would sit flush because of how its a stick on fender, so the piece that goes under the side-marker would stick out more than the fender itself. Been trying to go OEM+ with my car, and this is a clean addition to the mods I'm going for.

Thanks

From Suncoast Parts
Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

Check the following thread....as I have posted most of the info you need on there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t-fenders.html

There are the factory GT2RS carbon fenders, which are about $10k IIRC, and then there are the Porsche add-on fender flares that you posted above. For the add-on pieces, you can just stick them on your current fenders, or you can cut (trim) your fenders at the top, to get some extra tire clearance. The smaller parts of the flare that you have the red arrows pointed at are always a always a stick-on piece, even on the GT2RS bumper.

See below. The full carbon fenders with the integrated flare have a smooth transisiton. The pieces on the GT2RS bumper where the fender continues are stick on.

Last edited by halo777; 01-08-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:45 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Just wondering...are you doing this modification purely for aethstetics? If so, just go with the OEM flare kit you pictured above. If you are really want the smooth look, you have a body shop mold it in.

I know a lot of new 997 owners (including myself) look at the OEM GT2RS carbon flares and want to add them to their car. However, that usually ends immediately when they find out the price of them (approx $11k for the pair.)

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997TEQCFFN.html

I have done Cargraphic carbon kevlar wide fenders up front on my car, which are about half the price of the GT2RS ones. And, out of all the work to the car, the wider front fenders, and resulting inner liner work, wheel fitment, etc. has been a huge job. For the relatively minor end result, I would not say it was worth it at all.

Best bang for the buck is the OEM GT3 RS fender flare it. Paint it, stick it on, and call it a day LOL

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKRSARCH.html

Last edited by halo777; 01-08-2021 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hindsight2010 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 04:19 PM
Nick M.
Intermediate

I have no issue with the price, I just wanted to know which front pieces that are used for the front bumper on the Turbo S, like that example picture. Also, I contacted a Porsche Parts website, and they stated that the front piece that goes on the bumper of the 997.2 GT2 RS, actually comes with the bumper. (not a separate piece)

Thanks
Old 01-08-2021, 05:55 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick M.
Also, I contacted a Porsche Parts website, and they stated that the front piece that goes on the bumper of the 997.2 GT2 RS, actually comes with the bumper. (not a separate piece)
I dont think they gave you accurate information. Maybe they are a seperate piece in the same box, but they definitely dont appear to be permanently attached to the front bumper. You can clearly see the edge around them where they attach to the front bumper, much different than the smoothed out flare on the carbon fenders.

My guess is that the GT2RS front bumper is just a GT2 front bumper with the added flares included. And the GT2RS lower lip is larger, but that would be a separate piece.

Last edited by halo777; 01-08-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:11 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

CHeck the video below at the 6:00min mark. It is clear the GT2RS bumper doesnt come with the flares attached.

Then look at 16:55. You can see in the final shots that they have been added on later.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:09 PM
Nick M.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by halo777
CHeck the video below at the 6:00min mark. It is clear the GT2RS bumper doesnt come with the flares attached.

Then look at 16:55. You can see in the final shots that they have been added on later.

https://youtu.be/NfQgUGha6QM?t=1015
So I guess my question is, what part is that? Is it possible to acquire it? If not, would a OEM GT3RS front piece fit? Or would I have to file that piece down at a body shop so it could match up with the GT2 RS fenders? I just need to know what part was used on the front bumper under the side marker.

Thanks

Last edited by Nick M.; 01-08-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:43 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

I dont think you can buy the gt2rs ones seperately. And from pics, I don't think the gt3 rs ones will fit 100%. If you look at the very bottom of the flare, the gt3 rs bumper seems to have a shorter flare out then the turbo or gt2 rs. Even the gt2 rs ones might not be a perfect fit on your turbo bumper.

I think you have a few options. I'm just busy now, but will post them later tonight or tomorrow. One of the options is I send you an extra set of flares that I have, to see if they can be modified to work for you

​​​​​​ Post more details later

Old 01-09-2021, 05:22 PM
Nick M.
Intermediate

I dont think you can buy the gt2rs ones seperately. And from pics, I don't think the gt3 rs ones will fit 100%. If you look at the very bottom of the flare, the gt3 rs bumper seems to have a shorter flare out then the turbo or gt2 rs. Even the gt2 rs ones might not be a perfect fit on your turbo bumper.

I think you have a few options. I'm just busy now, but will post them later tonight or tomorrow. One of the options is I send you an extra set of flares that I have, to see if they can be modified to work for you

​​​​​​ Post more details later

What fenders are those?

Old 01-09-2021, 08:30 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

They are a fiberglass aftermarket set that I purchased for my project car. But, in the end I installed the Cargraphic carbon/kevlar fenders instead, and never used these.

Options for you....

OEM GT2RS - As stated earlier, I dont think you can buy the flares seperately. If you can find them, then go for it. If not and you want to stick with OEM, then you will probably have to get a complete front GT2RS front bumper. With all the supporting bits, it will probably be about $7k, I would guess.

OEM GT3 RS flare kit - You could get the complete kit, and just use the bumper pieces, if you are going with the carbon fenders. Kinda seems like a lot for 2 small pieces. And, if you keep your Turbo bumper, I dont think it will fit right. From pics, it looks like the Gt3 and Turbo/GT2RS bumpers are slightly different where they meet the bottom. See the Turbo and GT2 compared to the GT3 RS to see what I mean. Maybe even all 3 are different heights

Aftermarket

You could contact a place like NR Auto, and see if they will just sell you the bumper flare pieces from their GT2 RS kit. Not sure if they will, but you could ask. Again, no guarantee they will fit perfectly
https://nrauto.com/product/porsche-9...t-for-997tc4s/

You can buy an aftermarket kit on eBay, which are similar to mine. But like mine, will likely need some custom work to fit. Also, you may as well have the body shop mold them in, so they match up with the GT2 RS fenders, with a smooth transition
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2011-P...YAAOSwx4NfYSWX

Or, you could go completely crazy and go with a OEM GT3 RS front bumper conversion. You would end up with a Frankencar (like mine) but I was never a fan of any of the 997 turbo or GT2 front bumpers. But everyones taste is different. I am partial to this, because I did the 997.2 OEM GT3 front bumper with the cup lip on my car, and couldnt be happier. Here are some other Turbo guys who did that, plus the flares...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bumper-tt.html

The GT3 bumper is a LOT cheaper to get than the GT2 RS. And the OEM fender flares will then match up perfectly.

(NOTE: the cars below seem to be running the CUP flares, which are a bit wider and delete the turn signal)

Final option... If you have a really good body shop, then I can ship you down my flare set, and they can modify and mold them in for you. If they work out for you, you can send me some cash for them...whatever you think is fair.

If it were me, I would skip the $11k carbon fenders, and go with the OEM GT3 front end conversion with factory fender flares for less than the fenders....but its all personal preference

Last edited by halo777; 01-09-2021 at 09:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hindsight2010 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:26 PM
Nick M.
Intermediate

They are a fiberglass aftermarket set that I purchased for my project car. But, in the end I installed the Cargraphic carbon/kevlar fenders instead, and never used these.

Options for you....

OEM GT2RS - As stated earlier, I dont think you can buy the flares seperately. If you can find them, then go for it. If not and you want to stick with OEM, then you will probably have to get a complete front GT2RS front bumper. With all the supporting bits, it will probably be about $7k, I would guess.

OEM GT3 RS flare kit - You could get the complete kit, and just use the bumper pieces, if you are going with the carbon fenders. Kinda seems like a lot for 2 small pieces. And, if you keep your Turbo bumper, I dont think it will fit right. From pics, it looks like the Gt3 and Turbo/GT2RS bumpers are slightly different where they meet the bottom. See the Turbo and GT2 compared to the GT3 RS to see what I mean. Maybe even all 3 are different heights

Aftermarket

You could contact a place like NR Auto, and see if they will just sell you the bumper flare pieces from their GT2 RS kit. Not sure if they will, but you could ask. Again, no guarantee they will fit perfectly
https://nrauto.com/product/porsche-9...t-for-997tc4s/

You can buy an aftermarket kit on eBay, which are similar to mine. But like mine, will likely need some custom work to fit. Also, you may as well have the body shop mold them in, so they match up with the GT2 RS fenders, with a smooth transition
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2011-P...YAAOSwx4NfYSWX

Or, you could go completely crazy and go with a OEM GT3 RS front bumper conversion. You would end up with a Frankencar (like mine) but I was never a fan of any of the 997 turbo or GT2 front bumpers. But everyones taste is different. I am partial to this, because I did the 997.2 OEM GT3 front bumper with the cup lip on my car, and couldnt be happier. Here are some other Turbo guys who did that, plus the flares...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bumper-tt.html

The GT3 bumper is a LOT cheaper to get than the GT2 RS. And the OEM fender flares will then match up perfectly.

(NOTE: the cars below seem to be running the CUP flares, which are a bit wider and delete the turn signal)

Final option... If you have a really good body shop, then I can ship you down my flare set, and they can modify and mold them in for you. If they work out for you, you can send me some cash for them...whatever you think is fair.

If it were me, I would skip the $11k carbon fenders, and go with the OEM GT3 front end conversion with factory fender flares for less than the fenders....but its all personal preference
The ones you sent to me through ebay, they seem to be a GT3 kit? Would they fit better than the OEM 997.2 GT3RS fenders because they're longer? It seems that these ones are for the 7.1 GT3. Thank you btw, you've been a great help.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:34 PM
Nick M.
Intermediate

If that's the case, then I would probably go the ebay route. Considering its the cheapest option, and all I want is a small piece.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:23 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

No problem.

I have a feeling whatever flare kit you get, you are going to have to have the bodyshop modify it for your turbo front bumper. So, since you are just going to hack it up, you might as well get the cheap ebay set.

That is, unless someone can chime in with a fender flare set designed to fit the 997 turbo front bumper. I havent seen any. Maybe try NR Auto, before you go the eBay route.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:45 PM
Nick M.
Intermediate

No problem.

I have a feeling whatever flare kit you get, you are going to have to have the bodyshop modify it for your turbo front bumper. So, since you are just going to hack it up, you might as well get the cheap ebay set.

That is, unless someone can chime in with a fender flare set designed to fit the 997 turbo front bumper. I havent seen any. Maybe try NR Auto, before you go the eBay route.
I knew coming in, I was going to have to modify the front piece to the turbo bumper I've seen it on another forum of someone doing it.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:10 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

That close up pic is great. From it, it seems the user just used the GT3RS flares (OEM or Aftermarket...not sure) and carved a bit into the bumper. You can see that the lines dont line up perfectly...but in reality no one probably ever notices

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT2RS OEM Fenders on 997.2 Turbo S