Sponsored by:

997.1- Spark Plugs/Scope and mufflers- Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 PM
ancientanskrit
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997.1- Spark Plugs/Scope and mufflers- Need help

Hello, all. I've started the process of replacing the spark plugs on my 2005 997.1. I tried to do it with the muffler and heat shield on-method but quickly gave up after successfully getting bank 3 out but no luck on bank 2 or 1 (I have only started on the driver's side). This one is an absolute crapshoot.

I decided to remove the muffler on the driver's side and am absolutely stumped on how to remove the three 13mm bolts (specifically bolt with the arrow). It hits the upside of the frame and there's no room to wiggle it out. Even if I removed the bumper plus heat shield, there's no way there is clearance for it sneak out as it would still hit the top of the frame. I have no idea how this bolt got in there to begin with. I should say that I have the Fister Exhausts which Darin personally installed but that shouldn't make any difference. It almost seems like the bolt is upside down with the nut having to be on the top side? How on earth do I take this out to remove the muffler? I've already removed the other 13mm bolt along with the one that connects to the mid-pipe so I think if I can get this guy off, I'm home free.

Second conundrum, I will need to remove below arrow in red. Wanted to get group's consensus before randomly trying to remove things to get access. Is this simple lift the gate and pull out?

Third conundrum, I decided to get a cheapy scope on amazon that connects to the phone. I went through bank 3 and this is what I see. Looks like the cylinder is top dead center and I'm looking at the top of the cylinder head or am I imagining stuff? Any suggestions on the DIY'ers for scoping through the spark plugs ports?

I have done plugs on old Fords with V6s shoe-horned in and Hondas with the J-series engines, but this one is definitely interesting!

Much appreciate any help/direction/guidance, chaps!

Quick Reply: 997.1- Spark Plugs/Scope and mufflers- Need help