Sponsored by:

Front Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 11:50 AM
vikingpilot
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Shocks

Hi I have a 06 997 S, it only has 29K miles but I am starting to hear a small thud or clunk when I drive over bumps in the road. I jacked car up to investigate and found my bump stops rotted out
also the rubber accordion on the shock is hard and not flexible protecting the strut part anymore. Struts shows no leaks and PASM is working fine.

I also checked the end links and boots are pliable and shows to tears or leaks, but they are fairly easy to turn and twist with just my hand.

I am planning to replace the bump stops and the strut tower bushings plus the rubber accordion. Should I replace end links also?.

Please see attached pictures...

Thanks

Old 12-27-2020, 12:01 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by vikingpilot
Hi I have a 06 997 S, it only has 29K miles but I am starting to hear a small thud or clunk when I drive over bumps in the road. I jacked car up to investigate and found my bump stops rotted out
also the rubber accordion on the shock is hard and not flexible protecting the strut part anymore. Struts shows no leaks and PASM is working fine.

I also checked the end links and boots are pliable and shows to tears or leaks, but they are fairly easy to turn and twist with just my hand.

I am planning to replace the bump stops and the strut tower bushings plus the rubber accordion. Should I replace end links also?.

Please see attached pictures...

Thanks

This makes a lot of sense, your Porsche from 2006.
You need to replace the BUMP STOP. On the way I recommend you also replace the shock absorber brackets and shock absorber pad.
As for END LINK, it is not related to the absorber but you can replace. I recommend replacing all 4.
As for the "noises", it probably does not stem from the bump stop, but rather from the Control Arm. This is a common problem in 997 'suffering' from accelerated wear and tear.
Successfully ;-)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:55 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree with GTSPure that the thud is probably not the bump stops but something else, unless the road bumps you were going over were bottoming out the suspension (travel).

I would replace anything with "rubber" and probably even anything with a spherical joint while you have it apart. It may be worthwhile to use some chassis ears to exactly pinpoint the noise ahead of your work. When you disassemble things, make note of any fasteners that are /loose/under-torqued as that could lead to clunking.

I will try to dig up an exploded parts view so you can get an idea about your potential parts list.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:15 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Courtesy of Porsche

Courtesy of Porsche
Old 12-30-2020, 09:41 PM
Meshari
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced all the rubbers on the front shocks and the sound still persisted, turned out it was from the control arm as I went back from edibach to OEM, I'll see what will be replaced and report back.
The following users liked this post:
Hootsama (12-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Front Shocks