Sponsored by:

sticking horn button

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 05:13 PM
64lusso
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default sticking horn button

Has anyone else had this problem with their 997 era 911? We've owned ours since new in 2012, don't blow the horn that much but even from new it seemed to stay on briefly after releasing the button which I mentioned to the dealer at every service visit but they never addressed it.
It got worse and worse and finally wouldn't stop, I had to pull over, locate and remove the correct fuse in order to quietly drive the car. This was about two years ago, dealer took forever to attempt a fix but did get it working correctly. Today it just did the same thing. Some goofball pulls up to a green light and just sits there so I blow the horn and it won't stop, same routine with fuse removal.
It is due for a service but if the dealer can't come up with a permanent fix it won't pass state inspection. Great car--silly problem but frustrating!
I did try searching this site but didn't see anything, I can't be the only one with this issue can I?
Old 12-01-2020, 06:07 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 227 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Reminded me of the movie called "Unhinged"
-

Last edited by lowbee; 12-01-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:06 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 404 Posts

I’ve only heard this issue on Boxsters but check out the below thread, as it may offer some clues. On the Boxster, it was more related to the rubber grommets around the horn connections deteriorating causing the problem. On yours, I’m thinking it’s probably related to the placement of the airbag unit causing the problem, maybe having a wiring harness running against the horn connection. Check out the video below where the horn kept going off because he put the airbag in wrong, having a wire catching against something.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=879944

video- check out at 6 min 30 sec:
Old 12-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I had this happen to my 2012 C2S. The horn (pad) on the steering wheel began to stick after being pressed. Seemed it would do it after being unused for a week or so. I could lift the horn pad up with my fingernail to shut off the horn. Finally took it to the dealer for annual oil service and they were able to repair. Service Advisor said that it was a bad or broken spring. Easy fix and common problem. All good now. I think cost was 50 bucks or thereabouts.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:37 PM
64lusso
Instructor

Thanks, I had seen those posts from the UK, sounds strange they say it's a known problem but my dealer really struggled with getting it fixed a few years ago. I watched most of that video on replacing the wheel (that guy yaks too much!) but am wondering if I just shoot some silicone spray around the edges every once in a while if it would help? At least the video showed me the airbag was a contained unit so the silicone shouldn't mess anything up. Also didn't know there was a 997 Facebook page.
Any other thoughts appreciated.
Jay
Old 01-04-2024, 03:47 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
I had this happen to my 2012 C2S. The horn (pad) on the steering wheel began to stick after being pressed. Seemed it would do it after being unused for a week or so. I could lift the horn pad up with my fingernail to shut off the horn. Finally took it to the dealer for annual oil service and they were able to repair. Service Advisor said that it was a bad or broken spring. Easy fix and common problem. All good now. I think cost was 50 bucks or thereabouts.
Reviving this from the dead, but I'm just starting to drive my 997 more, and I'm experiencing the same thing -- when I honk, it "lingers" and shuts off slowly. Feels a little "sticky". I just want to do a quick "beep, I'm oer here in your blindspot" and it's a "hooonk'. Any DIYs on repairing this?
Old 01-04-2024, 04:06 PM
64lusso
Instructor

No DIY advice from me but I will add that what you describe sounds exactly like what i went through. It continued to get worse and worse until finally the horn would not stop blowing at all. Very embarrassing. I'd have to find a place to pull over and pull the horn circuit fuse which thankfully is on a circuit by itself. The dealers first crack at fixing it took a while, this was before Covid, and only lasted about two years then it happened again. This time around the dealer staff was more competent, fixed it quickly and said they had used the wrong lubricant the first time. That was about two years ago and it still works as it should but I'm still very hesitant to use the horn.
Mine was new in 2012 and this started not long after we got the car and was noted and ignored on every trip to the dealership over the several years it took to get really bad.
I wish I could at least tell you what the fix was but I don't think squirting a little silicone lubricant in will help much. Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:36 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by 64lusso
No DIY advice from me but I will add that what you describe sounds exactly like what i went through. It continued to get worse and worse until finally the horn would not stop blowing at all. Very embarrassing. I'd have to find a place to pull over and pull the horn circuit fuse which thankfully is on a circuit by itself. The dealers first crack at fixing it took a while, this was before Covid, and only lasted about two years then it happened again. This time around the dealer staff was more competent, fixed it quickly and said they had used the wrong lubricant the first time. That was about two years ago and it still works as it should but I'm still very hesitant to use the horn.
Mine was new in 2012 and this started not long after we got the car and was noted and ignored on every trip to the dealership over the several years it took to get really bad.
I wish I could at least tell you what the fix was but I don't think squirting a little silicone lubricant in will help much. Good Luck.
Thanks! I may dig into the various steering wheel replacement threads around here to see how to disassemble. Guessing I can figure out what's causing the sticking once I get it apart.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:04 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Links for later

Suncoast 991.2 steering wheel hack - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Old 01-04-2024, 06:14 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I had this issue. There are two springs behind the airbag on the inside of the wheel. One spring was defective. The horn/airbag would stay pressed in and would not return to the normal position. We replaced the spring and it’s all good now.

Best wishes.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:25 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Simple fix - remove the module.

You'll see a plastic film on the contact surfaces, this may have reduced friction when new.

Remove this, reassemble. I may have added a small amount of silicone lubricant . . .

Quick Reply: sticking horn button