Sponsored by:

997.1 Bose Amp removal and replacement DIY. EASY

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 11:40 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 997.1 Bose Amp removal and replacement DIY. EASY

This DIY is for replacing the Bose amp with the same in case yours fails. "Audiophile" consensus is that the Bose amp sound quality is trash, but the sound is good enough for me, particularly listening to streaming music in an otherwise noisy car.

Background:
-One of the first mods I made on my car nearly 10 years ago was to replace the Porsche PCM with a modern double DIN replacement, using the MOST-HUR kit sold by Loi at euromotorspeed (ebay). Worth every penny. Awesome customer service.

-About a year or two later I would have occasional times where the only sound output was from the subwoofer and the regular speakers wouldn't work. Always fixed by turning off the car and restarting.

-More recently this progressed so that whenever the temp was less than 80F when starting the car (only a few months out of the year in Miami), a terrible ear-splitting "white noise" would come out of the speakers on startup and then only the subwoofer would work. Again, fixed by a restart but only when the car had been running for about a minute or so.

-Whenever this happened my head unit otherwise appeared to be working just fine, so i figured it probably had to do with the amp. I made sure all the connections on the amp itself were snug, but this didn't help.

-A quick ebay search the other day revealed that a used "PORSCHE 911 997 987 BOXSTER CAYMAN FACTORY BOSE AMP AMPLIFIER 99764533422" was only about $140 shipped on Ebay. Figured why not. LA dismantler had it across the country and at my door 2 business days after ordering.

-Swapped it out tonight in less than 5 minutes.....so far the problem seems to have gone away. Fingers crossed.

How to:
1. Unplug negative battery terminal.

2. Remove cover at the bottom of frunk that hols the toolkit, air compressor, tire goo, and cookie crumbs to reveal the amp.

3. The right side of the amp has three wiring harnesses attached to it. To remove the long one, pull down on the tab circled in red first. The other two are behind the long one.

4. Once the wires are off, then pull off the metal clip (red circle) securing the amp on the right hand side, and the amp will then just slide out of it's rear backing plate.

5. Installation is the reverse of removal.

6. Whenever you've had the battery disconnected for a bit, the car will read "PSM failure" on startup. Not to worry, it will go away after less than a minute of driving.

Hope this helps someone out there. If I knew how cheap (in Porsche terms) and easy it was, I would have done it ages ago.

Last edited by JCGMS; 11-30-2020 at 11:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JCGMS:
Aclmin (12-02-2020), Backcountry 993 (04-29-2024), coaldrag413 (12-01-2020), dkfx (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 11:42 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for this post, I know it's a bit old, but i'm having the exact same ear splitting white noise / crackling (at high volume) upon startup in colder temperatures in my bose equipped 997.1. I wonder if there's an upgrade that doens't cost an arm and a leg while you're in there, or if just replacing it with an OEM unit is the best bang for the buck route. I've got a sony ax3000 and factory subwoofer that sounds wonderful, though the startup noise is going to make me pull my hair out anyday now.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:33 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

I was looking for better audio quality so I eventually ditched the Bose amp and went with a Hertz Amp from Car Audio Innovations. They have many solutions for that era 911/boxster/cayman. It came with a bracket, wiring and detailed instructions and took a few hours to install DIY if you're handy with car audio. I can't say enough good things about the customer service from Rod the owner.

That being said the price difference between that and a used Bose amp is significant.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:29 PM
dkfx
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCGMS
I was looking for better audio quality so I eventually ditched the Bose amp and went with a Hertz Amp from Car Audio Innovations. They have many solutions for that era 911/boxster/cayman. It came with a bracket, wiring and detailed instructions and took a few hours to install DIY if you're handy with car audio. I can't say enough good things about the customer service from Rod the owner.

That being said the price difference between that and a used Bose amp is significant.
Thanks for the heads up, looks like like $1200 vs a used replacement is a few hundred.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:47 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,711 Posts

This is aggravating. The low temp screechy poltergeist sounds and no sound fits my symptoms. The music appears after restart also fits.

The sub sound only does not fit. When mine is out there is no sound at all, which most say is the head unit.

Mine used to be affected at really low temps, but now wont work under like 70 degrees. Sometimes it surprises me.

For $150 its worth a try, easy enough to swap out. Hate to install a new head unit and thats not it.

Arghhhhh
Old 02-15-2022, 11:44 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 747 Posts

I fixed mine by pulling the amp apart and replacing the eight 2200uF@25VDC caps as well as refreshing the thermal conduction paste. Easy and cheap if you have experience replacing parts on multi layer PCBs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
dkfx (02-16-2022), Mitch911 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 09:33 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I fixed mine by pulling the amp apart and replacing the eight 2200uF@25VDC caps as well as refreshing the thermal conduction paste. Easy and cheap if you have experience replacing parts on multi layer PCBs.
I have experience with re-capping electronics and the thermal paste. I think I will try this first. prolly cost a few dollars - if that. Thanks.

Although I threw out the past I had for my last receiver recap, during my last move thinking I would never need it again. Ha.

Are those the only caps I'll need?
Old 02-16-2022, 09:59 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
GOOD CALL!!

Got any old pics laying around from this?
Old 02-16-2022, 12:21 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I replaced just the eight caps and refreshed the thermal paste. Had to cut the hot melt glue off the old caps before heating the legs to remove them. Couldn't solder suck all the holes so had to heat some of the PCB pads as I inserted the caps.

The following users liked this post:
JCGMS (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 12:26 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

This is awesome. BHM let us know how it works for you if you try it out.
I would have given it a shot if I had known, BUT, I have to say the new amp sounds (subjectively) so much better.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:54 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Why the hot glue? Reduce vibration?

I'll report back after I change them out.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:22 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Why the hot glue? Reduce vibration?

I'll report back after I change them out.
It was there on the originals and extended over to the coil. Vibration would be the reason.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:24 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

I ordered the Nichicon caps. 10 of them cuz price break. Got two for free. In stock.

They shipped ONE. Uhm . . . website said plenty in stock . . . wtf.

A few hundred due in . . . June. A few thousands due next few months deliveries Factory lead time . . . . . . 72 weeks.

Digikey, Mouser, Newark all in the same boat.

Ordered 10 more from another company for delivery this week.. We will see.

Guess its like our new house barstools that were in stock but took 9 months.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:40 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
I ordered the Nichicon caps. 10 of them cuz price break. Got two for free. In stock.

They shipped ONE. Uhm . . . website said plenty in stock . . . wtf.

A few hundred due in . . . June. A few thousands due next few months deliveries Factory lead time . . . . . . 72 weeks.

Digikey, Mouser, Newark all in the same boat.

Ordered 10 more from another company for delivery this week.. We will see.

Guess its like our new house barstools that were in stock but took 9 months.
Check with Jameco. Or a local electronics shop.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:50 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

10 caps delivered yesterday. Cancelled the remaining 9 on the previous order.

Guess I'll take out the amp this weekend.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Bose Amp removal and replacement DIY. EASY