Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked oil pan 2009 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020 | 11:30 AM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan in Seattle
My oil pan damage was much worse. I was out to lunch one Sunday after church to a neighborhood restaurant with my wife and two kids (18 & 14 yrs old, yes sitting in back, and I promised only short trips) and hit the pan hard existing the parking lot onto the street. I took the pan off and took it to work, (design-build mechanical contractor) and had our fabrication shop weld it up on the inside and outside. I don't know the welding details but they did a great job and no charge! Since I had changed the oil recently, I reused the oil and filter. I reused the pan gasket just in case I had to remove the pan again. I have a new gasket I can change out at the next oil change.

While I had the pan off I followed Jake Raby's video and scoped the bores from below. I saw some minor, singular scratches in each of the bores. It matched what I saw from the top, thru the spark plug hole. I showed the videos to Bellevue Porsche and got the the response I expected, no problems. My car is still under CPO warranty. No noises, exhaust soot or other bore scoring signs so I'm driving it as much as I can and enjoying it.

As a mechanical engineer with an undergraduate specialty in metallurgy, this should have been marked NSFW. I'm really uncomfortable looking at that superb overhand weld technique.
The following users liked this post:
msequence (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 12:43 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TopKatz
I dont know. I'm sort of risk averse, but I would not mess around with my oil pan, I would just get a new one. While your at it grab the skid plate. This is exactly why I did just that. Low car with a huge oil pan just hanging out.
I hope this is one situation that I don't have to face in the future. I would agree with TopKatz's comments above.

Maybe if I had a Camaro or some other such car (rather than a Porsche), I might be inclined to seek out a weld repair like this.

For a Porsche, you'll end up paying the price ultimately when you go to sell it as Porsche buyers tend to look into a new purchase in a much more studied fashion (how many times have we advised or read - Get a PPI...?)

The scrape and weld would stick out to a Porsche PPI tech like a red neon sign at midnight (a sign that says the owner felt the car was not worth it or valuable enough to get it addressed properly.) As a buyer, I might wonder - what else did the owner of this car cut corners on???

I would bite the bullet and purchase a new pan, install it and be done with it.

Old 11-18-2020 | 03:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

such a stupid attitude. Why throw out a good chunk of aluminum when all it needs is 5 minutes of welding. It used to be that was the RIGHT way to do the repair. Now its just, go buy a new one and throw the old thing in the trash.

sad.

As for messing with the oil pan...its a totally unstressed member. Welding is actually overkill. For a pin hole, the jbweld would more than cover it.
Old 11-18-2020 | 04:14 PM
TopKatz
Racer

While the above approach could be fine I just can’t subscribe to it. Not with my 911. Call my stance on it what you will but I don’t treat my Porsche like any other car. I personally would need to fix it right. I also agree with the post that when and if the car is sold this would be a “thing”.
Ironman88 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 04:24 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Guys - my suggestion for JB Weld is above already. $5 in JB Weld and 5 minutes and the repair is done. The worst case is - the JB Weld fails at some point - and the oil pan might drip/seep a drop again. This is not severe damage - not a crack and would NEVER result in a low oil level that would cause engine damage.

Next major service, drop the pan and get it welded if you are still concerned.

Last edited by mbatarga; 11-18-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2020 | 04:30 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
such a stupid attitude. Why throw out a good chunk of aluminum when all it needs is 5 minutes of welding. It used to be that was the RIGHT way to do the repair. Now its just, go buy a new one and throw the old thing in the trash.

sad.

As for messing with the oil pan...its a totally unstressed member. Welding is actually overkill. For a pin hole, the jbweld would more than cover it.

We clearly have different perspectives and sense of value.

I respect your right to a differing opinion - and although I don't agree with it, I would not refer your view (or the views of any others here) as stupid.

I think the forum is a great way to exchange views on topics. Passing judgement on another member's perspective labelling it as stupid is not something that elevates or advances our experience here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
lexhair (11-19-2020), msequence (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 04:55 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Interesting- More popcorn!
Alusil is weldable in general but not in the cylinder area of the block due to the high Silicon content in the hypereutectic alloy. I should not have mentioned this as we are looking at an oil sump (pan) . I threw it out there in case someone was familiar with alloy aluminum engine material.
However , the point is the oil pan, sump etc is cast in a different material. From the picture noted, we can see part of the material designation stating the Si, Mg and Mn but not all the values or percentages . Someone post the rest of the information and we can carry on to infinitely
The example picture of the repaired pan shows a good bead with porosity.
As to the original posters question-
Just weld it up.
Or buy a new one
Or buy a new one with a new car attached on top of it. It is your money.
Don't any of you guys do your own welding? (let's also say my metallurgy education is slightly above undergraduate).
cheers!
Old 11-18-2020 | 05:01 PM
msequence
Intermediate

I'd JB Weld it, then purchase a new pan later to install if/when I decided to sell the car. I think both approaches have merit here. I would not use JB Weld inside the pan though due to concerns over acidity in the oil eroding the epoxy over time.
Old 11-18-2020 | 06:28 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

My 2 cents: If you plan on keeping the car until it blows up JB weld it from the inside or TIG weld it from the inside. If you plan on ever selling it. Replace the pan. Porsche owners are a different breed of OCD people than most car people. If was in the market to buy your car and I saw JB weld on the oil pan my next thought, like many others on here, would be what other corner was cut that I cannot see.

JB weld from the outside may or may not work as there is a crack full of oil that cannot be adequately cleaned to have the JB weld adhere to. Totally your call, but I would call a Porsche salvage yard if you ever think of selling it.
Old 11-19-2020 | 01:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ironman88
We clearly have different perspectives and sense of value.

I respect your right to a differing opinion - and although I don't agree with it, I would not refer your view (or the views of any others here) as stupid.

I think the forum is a great way to exchange views on topics. Passing judgement on another member's perspective labelling it as stupid is not something that elevates or advances our experience here.
Little sensitive, but fair. Stupid was not the right word...sad, however, I will stand by. Its sad not because people are hyper ****, but rather sad because we've become a disposable culture. I get the damaged oil pan will almost definitely be recycled, but jeez, junking a part due to a pin hole is sad. To repair it seems to me not a short cut, but rather a wise, reasonable repair.
Floyd540 (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020 | 01:56 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

As I said above, way too many posts when I was on S2Ki of welds in oil pans gone wrong. The risk to me would not at all be worth the reward. If it would make you feel better I would put it on the garage wall as decoration and a reminder to be more careful.
Old 11-19-2020 | 02:07 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

I wonder if this one had JB Weld on the oil pan?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1223528-is-this-a-good-buy.html

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 11-19-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2020 | 02:23 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

New pan is about $600. I would not be afraid of having it TIG welded by a good welder. Weld should be done on the outside with the pan off the car and thoroughly cleaned. Many aftermarket oil pans used all over the world, in racing, are of welded construction so there is no issue with welds on an oil pan. Go to summit racing and you'll find thousands of them - deep sump pans for LS engines for example (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/chp-pro1150ko). Even cylinder heads can be welded - in the ports, spark plug holes, combustion chambers, etc.

If you get it welded, have it done by a trustworthy pro who has welded engine parts before and ensure they are TIG welding it and using the right rod. The weld service would likely cost around $120 - or whatever the charge is for an hour of work. That wouldn't include labor to R&R the pan from the engine or the cost of the new gasket.

Or just drop $600 for a new pan, swap it out, and be done with it.
Floyd540 (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020 | 07:45 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Originally Posted by ekam
What kind of roads do you guys drive on to hit the pan that hard???

Or do you guys have the car slammed with 4" of clearance...?
Out here in Colorado, we have lots of roads with huge dips -- sometimes on purpose for storm water runoff -- as well as some poorly designed and placed speed bumps. Driving out here, I'd rather raise the car than lower it.
Old 11-20-2020 | 07:28 AM
door2416
Instructor

There are a couple of used pans on Ebay for around 100 dollars shipped . That would be my suggestion.

Quick Reply: Cracked oil pan 2009 911