Sponsored by:

Radio update

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:05 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts
Default Radio update

A while ago I installed a satellite radio add on unit that feeds into the aux input. I mounted the antenna in the same place as the OEM would have been. It sucked, constantly losing signal.

So I moved it to the bottom of the right corner of the windshield.

I finally got out for a fairly long drive today. Perfection.

But on a different topic, four times on a restart the volume was lost. So that problem seems to have gotten much worse. One of those times I had no rear speaker either, which is different than other reports. On all occasions by doing a hard off by pressing and holding the volume ****, continuing to drive for 15 minutes or so, and then pushing the volume **** for power on ... Voila, full radio operation.

One other thing that seems repeatable ... If the water temperature gauge is below 150F I get very loud buzzing directly related to rpm (the standard high tension wire interference). Once the water temp exceeds 150F that interference fully disappears. Weird much?!?!?!

I figure I'll play with shielding the excess antenna wire. But I'd be happy to hear comments.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:09 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 161K miles

See below for the XM antenna installed into my 2000 Boxster. Worked very very well.... all aftermarket equipment. The Becker system back then was pretty poor.

The installer never did one like this before me... all done at my direction of course!...... he fashioned a bracket to push the antenna up as high as possible to the cowling. I highly recommend this as it is completely hidden. (Note the chassis architecture is pretty much as it is today.)

Regarding the cut out..... maybe we should post back into the other thread. For me, I had the system cut out once on my 2,110 mile journey. For me, this is better than it has been since the cut outs started occurring and I used that system for the whole trip. To restart the system, same as you, shut it down, drive, about 15 minutes later on the highway running, it started up again. As I stated in that other thread, I pulled the unit and spread some more heat sink paste on the other side of the circuit board where there was none. I know you have cut outs occuring on a cold unit so it is hard to assume it is thermal related... or as you noted before, a combination of factors. I have threatened to replace those capacitors but I am losing my mojo on this because the cutouts have become so rare. The cutouts were pretty bad.. very often... every few days.... and becoming untenable.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 10-16-2020, 10:18 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I built that same bracket when I installed the satellite unit!!!! I didn't have your luck.

I guess I'll need to yank the amp and look into the transistor *** option. Or maybe some gap pad which I feel works better without the mess. I'll let you know how that works after a yet to be determined future drive.

I'll grab a picture to post the mount that worked for me after the sun comes up here.

The electrical (plug) noise was the real confusion for me ... Magic? Ghosts? Aliens?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:10 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

the oem antenna is on the roof. Theres a reason why.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

New mount location. I can live with it there. Especially since it works now!!!!

While the 997.1 antenna was on the roof I believe all 997.2 antennae were per Bruce's picture ... Next to the cabin filter.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2020, 10:24 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

2008 997.1 C2S Cab 68,000 miles

I installed the Cayenne OEM XM receiver probably 7 years ago. I tried the antenna-under-the-cowling like a few others have done, but it worked quite poorly here in the Pacific Northwest with all our hills, mountains, and tall trees. I bought an extra magnetic-mount antenna with long leads and tried it *all over* the car. The only place that worked as well as my other cars (pretty darn well) was the outside frame over the windshield, which is analogous to the box on the back of the 997.2s. I ran the wire in under the weather stripping and it didn't look too bad. Eventually, I painted it Midnight Blue Metallic, and it really does look nearly OEM.

I noticed that the plastic front section of the cab roof has a waffle-like construction underneath the fabric. Since this section of the roof is *always* exposed, even with the top down, I made a mental note to try installing an antenna in one of the niches in the top if I ever have to replace the fabric. The antenna would be in nearly a perfect position with the top up, and in about the same position as the 997.2 when the top was down. My only concern would be the flexing of the wire with the top going up and down, but I believe this engineering problem is rather easily solved.

With respect to cutting out, I have only had it happen a couple of times. Rebooting the unit cures the problem every time. The way I reboot it is as follows: I shut off the PCM and all other accessories (lights, heater, etc.), then turn the car off completely. Next, I pull the key completely out of the ignition and hold it as far away from the ignition for maybe 15 seconds so the car thinks I have gotten out and left it. Then, I restart the car and turn on the radio. I suspect the car senses a key in the ignition and doesn't completely shut down until that key is gone.

Far more often than cutting out, the radio comes on with the data section of the screen blank, and it won't change XM channels from the current one. Rebooting always cures this, too. I've also found that switching off the PCM every time before shutting down the engine greatly reduces the blank data freeze, as the PCM sees a cold boot every time the car is started.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:55 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Next time I head out for a multi stop drive I'll try the hard shut down before ignition off, just out of curiosity.

On a further note ... No high tension wire noise today from start to finish on a 150 mile drive. So that must have been gremlins!!!

Quick Reply: Radio update