Sponsored by:

Back in the market for a Carrera...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020 | 12:52 AM
jmchris01
Instructor

Originally Posted by ewc
So what happened with this purchase?
Not a thing. Still waiting. I’m dumbfounded by this entire experience.

Dealership never called on Monday. I called the
salesman on Tuesday morning, and he immediately asked if I was coming out on Wednesday? I had to ask “what about the transmission?” He said, oh well “it cost $400 and the service manager said that the pan only needs to be changed on the manual transmission” (not right), “and we can have it done before you get here”. I asked him to double check with his service technician because it doesn’t sound right. And to send me the work order and we will go from there. “I’ll have it to you by 2:00” (that was Tuesday... again, never heard from him.

I called the dealership first thing this morning, finally asked to speak to the service manager myself. He said “yep, your right about the pan” and oh, “your salesman Charlie is right here, we are discussing it.”

I asked him to have Charlie call me today to get this settled so that I could buy my airline ticket for Monday or Tuesday NEXT WEEK. He said ok. I never heard from the salesman Charlie Vail again today. I’m done with Charlie, so I left a VM with the GM today at 5:30. No response yet.

Unbelievable! You can’t make this **** up! At this point, I’m going to tell them take care of the transmission fluid and filter, or don’t bother.

So much incompetence it absurd. I’m perplexed by how they can even stay in business.

My wife’s advice... “run!”

Last edited by jmchris01; 10-22-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-22-2020 | 04:09 AM
bschurr
Racer

Originally Posted by jmchris01

So much incompetence it absurd. I’m perplexed by how they can even stay in business.

listen to your wife!
The following users liked this post:
lexhair (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020 | 06:52 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

yes, your wife has wisdom. I would never trust a single thing done by that dealer to the car. Do not buy it.
Old 10-22-2020 | 09:25 PM
Quicksilver997S
Intermediate

It sucks the sales guy seems unresponsive. For what it’s worth this dealership is the former legendary Holberts (site of Porsche NA Racing back in the ,70’s - ‘80’s run by racer Al Holbert). The dealership has changed ownership twice since the Holbert days and I don’t have much experience with the latest owners-Sloane. I live 10 minutes from the dealer if you want me to go eyeball the car, let me know. Good luck with your decision.
Mike
Old 10-23-2020 | 09:31 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by linderpat
yes, your wife has wisdom. I would never trust a single thing done by that dealer to the car. Do not buy it.
That dealer always seems to have super nice and rarer used inventory and generally good ratings (4.7 averages) from all sources. Are you just slamming a dealer again because you don't like new car dealers or do you have first-hand experience with this dealer doing something shady.

Does kind of suck at poor line of communication, but they could be shutting down if they think OP is making unreasonable demands. The car is priced pretty low and getting frustrated with them for not spending $4k to $6 to bring it up to CPO may be unreasonable as heck. They are not in the business of losing money on a car and the car without being up to CPO spec may still be as good if not better than the majority of cars being sold out their in the used market right now.

RE: Request for PDK Service

Does anyone even know if the PDK was already serviced several years back? If so, that may also be an unreasonable demand if not time for the service.
Old 10-23-2020 | 10:39 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
That dealer always seems to have super nice and rarer used inventory and generally good ratings (4.7 averages) from all sources. Are you just slamming a dealer again because you don't like new car dealers or do you have first-hand experience with this dealer doing something shady.

Does kind of suck at poor line of communication, but they could be shutting down if they think OP is making unreasonable demands. The car is priced pretty low and getting frustrated with them for not spending $4k to $6 to bring it up to CPO may be unreasonable as heck. They are not in the business of losing money on a car and the car without being up to CPO spec may still be as good if not better than the majority of cars being sold out their in the used market right now.

RE: Request for PDK Service

Does anyone even know if the PDK was already serviced several years back? If so, that may also be an unreasonable demand if not time for the service.
I think Doug brings up some good points.

No offense to the OP, but in review of the chronology - The OP commits to purchase the car and puts a deposit down to purchase it on 10/9. The dealer agreed to do a 40k mile service, replace the tires, and replace the brakes - at the agreed upon sales price of $53k. The OP subsequently asks to have the curb rash repaired on the wheels - which the dealer agrees to do.

The OP subsequently asks to have the dealer CPO the car (at no additional cost); asks to have the PDK fluids changed; asks to have the front diff fluid changed (car is a C2S and doesn't have a front diff); and asks to have the stone guards replaced - included as part of the sale. (All of this after he has already committed to buy the car at an agreed-upon price.)

Based on this, it seems logical to assume that the dealer has probably made the determination that the sale is shaky (at best) and not likely to close. This may explain the lack of interest on their part to further any discussions. I think the dealers attitude is understandable.

If I was the buyer in this situation, and I was indeed truly serious about purchasing this car, I would be on an airplane right away to conclude the transaction.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Doug H (10-23-2020), Porschejam (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020 | 10:48 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

I agree with what you are saying. And maybe the saleman is inexperienced in knowing how to manage a customer request that is getting a flat "no" from the dealership management. No excuse for poor communications.

Was there a PPI performed? If not, it should be done. What is the warranty for any issues that arise within the 1st 30 or 60 days?

The following users liked this post:
Doug H (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020 | 10:56 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

I am not a fan of dealers, so yes, my bias shows through. Too many stories I've experienced first hand in many places. Also, if this dealer communicates with this potential buyer in this fashion, then that says a lot to me. If the OP is asking too much, then the dealer reps should simply say so and not string it along or worse, ignore him. No, I do not know this dealer from other than what I've read here, but based on what I read here, I would not trust buying a car from them. If something post-purchase needed to be addressed, I'd have no confidence that it would be. If that's harsh, so be it. YMMV of course.
Old 10-23-2020 | 11:18 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by linderpat
I am not a fan of dealers, so yes, my bias shows through. Too many stories I've experienced first hand in many places. Also, if this dealer communicates with this potential buyer in this fashion, then that says a lot to me. If the OP is asking too much, then the dealer reps should simply say so and not string it along or worse, ignore him. No, I do not know this dealer from other than what I've read here, but based on what I read here, I would not trust buying a car from them. If something post-purchase needed to be addressed, I'd have no confidence that it would be. If that's harsh, so be it. YMMV of course.
In all fairness, we only get one side of the story and you are making a lot of unfair assumptions with less than complete, perhaps any valid, information.

Based on what I have seen in their inventory over the last year, they have some truly amazing used 911s. They asks premium dollars for this low mileage, rarer cars, but they are also catering to the buyer that wants the best with this type of used car inventory.

Again, a 4.7 average rating with tons of reviews is pretty dang good on the internet for a car dealer. My local dealers have ratings in the 3s and I actually think mine do a great job. They do NOT, however, offer comparable high end used inventory that Porsche Warrington offers.
Old 10-23-2020 | 01:23 PM
chekraze
Racer

So OP still has a deposit holding the car for him with right of refusal?
Old 10-23-2020 | 02:10 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Dealership never called on Monday. I called the
salesman on Tuesday morning, and he immediately asked if I was coming out on Wednesday? I had to ask “what about the transmission?” He said, oh well “it cost $400 and the service manager said that the pan only needs to be changed on the manual transmission” (not right), “and we can have it done before you get here”. I asked him to double check with his service technician because it doesn’t sound right. And to send me the work order and we will go from there. “I’ll have it to you by 2:00” (that was Tuesday... again, never heard from him.

I called the dealership first thing this morning, finally asked to speak to the service manager myself. He said “yep, your right about the pan” and oh, “your salesman Charlie is right here, we are discussing it.”

I asked him to have Charlie call me today to get this settled so that I could buy my airline ticket for Monday or Tuesday NEXT WEEK. He said ok. I never heard from the salesman Charlie Vail again today. I’m done with Charlie, so I left a VM with the GM today at 5:30. No response yet.

Unbelievable! You can’t make this **** up! At this point, I’m going to tell them take care of the transmission fluid and filter, or don’t bother.

Again, in fairness to the dealer specifically related to the question about the PDK transmission pan replacement - there is a lot of conflicting information in circulation about whether or not pan replacement is required. (A quick search of that topic on this forum will reveal that.) When I inquired about the PDK service for my '09 C2S, I was told by my local Porsche dealer that pan replacement was not required. I had them do the service - and they were able to properly get it completed without replacing the pan.

Old 10-24-2020 | 11:26 AM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Again, in fairness to the dealer specifically related to the question about the PDK transmission pan replacement - there is a lot of conflicting information in circulation about whether or not pan replacement is required. (A quick search of that topic on this forum will reveal that.) When I inquired about the PDK service for my '09 C2S, I was told by my local Porsche dealer that pan replacement was not required. I had them do the service - and they were able to properly get it completed without replacing the pan.
fwiw, my local indy mentioned the pan and the bolts will be replaced when I have my PDK 12 year service. Said the filter was integral in the pan. Quick check at Suncoast seems to indicate that as well. Or you can go full boat with this upgrade.
Old 10-27-2020 | 12:26 PM
jmchris01
Instructor

Hey everyone. As a few points of clarification, I originally tried to negotiate the price down, but the dealership held firm, so I agreed to pay the asking price of $52,591 (total cost including dealer fees = $52,998). They committed to performing the 40k service, which is when they verified that the brakes and tires "appeared to be new at a 9 out of 10". They did not replace the brakes or tires themselves. When the salesman discussed the 40k results to me, I asked if they also included the 12-year tranny service in that the original dealer deliver date was 12/08/2008, implying that it would need to be done and I would like the service performed prior to taking delivery and driving it home 630 miles. While the dealership was not willing to include the tranny service in the deal, it took 10 days to get a quote of $1080 (10% off the regular cost of $1200), and only after I left VMs with the GM and Sales Manager. Ironically I received a quote with one phone call from the local AD for $960 with a 20% PCA discount.

Regarding the CPO, they have another 09' CPO in inventory, so I inquired (based on advice received on this forum) as to what it would take to CPO this vehicle, to which he replied "about $6,000".I did not expect the dealership to certify the vehicle without charging me the cost to do so, but $6,000 seemed quite a bit and also raised my curiosity as to.... what work was needed to bring the car up to spec?

I'm not necessarily bashing the dealership. It's an imperfect world, I understand that very clearly. People get busy, mistakes happen and things get dropped. I am usually very calm and patient. I'm just disappointed in my particular salesman's consistent lack of responsiveness and follow through. Even after repeatedly having to track him down. I eventually established dialog with the sales manager who was very pleasant and easy to work with.

Bottom line, just too much trouble and effort on my part to pursue this vehicle. What should have been a smooth purchase filled with excitement and anticipation turned into a constant struggle to track someone down and get answers. The fun was taken out of the entire process, so I finally headed my wife's advice and ran. They refunded my deposit this morning.

I'm sure it will be back on the market shortly if anyone is interested!

Last edited by jmchris01; 10-27-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2020 | 12:51 PM
lexhair
Pro

Hey everyone. As a few points of clarification, I originally tried to negotiate the price down, but the dealership held firm, so I agreed to pay the asking price of $52,591 (total cost including dealer fees = $52,998). They committed to performing the 40k service, which is when they verified that the brakes and tires "appeared to be new at a 9 out of 10". They did not replace the brakes or tires themselves. When the salesman discussed the 40k results to me, I asked if they also included the 12-year tranny service in that the original dealer deliver date was 12/08/2008, implying that it would need to be done and I would like the service performed prior to taking delivery and driving it home 630 miles. While the dealership was not willing to include the tranny service in the deal, it took 10 days to get a quote of $1080 (10% off the regular cost of $1200), and only after I left VMs with the GM and Sales Manager. Ironically I received a quote with one phone call from the local AD for $960 with a 20% PCA discount.

Regarding the CPO, they have another 09' CPO in inventory, so I inquired (based on advice received on this forum) as to what it would take to CPO this vehicle, to which he replied "about $6,000".I did not expect the dealership to certify the vehicle without charging me the cost to do so, but $6,000 seemed quite a bit and also raised my curiosity as to.... what work was needed to bring the car up to spec?

I'm not necessarily bashing the dealership. It's an imperfect world, I understand that very clearly. People get busy, mistakes happen and things get dropped. I am usually very calm and patient. I'm just disappointed in my particular salesman's consistent lack of responsiveness and follow through. Even after repeatedly having to track him down. I eventually established dialog with the sales manager who was very pleasant and easy to work with.

Bottom line, just too much trouble and effort on my part to pursue this vehicle. What should have been a smooth purchase filled with excitement and anticipation turned into a constant struggle to track someone down and get answers. The fun was taken out of the entire process, so I finally headed my wife's advice and ran. They refunded my deposit this morning.

I'm sure it will be back on the market shortly if anyone is interested!
Bad karma. Time to move on. Don't feel bad.
Old 10-27-2020 | 12:52 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

It's a shame that the situation ended up this way.

Nothing really changed with the car itself to dissuade you from the purchase - just the poor communication from the sales person. (Given all of the means / technology available today to ease the process to communicate - it is truly dumbfounding to see a sales connection crater based on a sales person failing to act. Especially when dealing with a Porsche dealership.)

As far as the frustration you experienced - it seems like you ran 4.9k of a 5k race - you were literally at the finish line on this transaction. And then gave up.

Buying a car is almost always unpleasant. Getting the car you want at the end of the process is the reward.

Maybe next time it will all come together for you.

Quick Reply: Back in the market for a Carrera...