Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA: 997 brake bleeding fail and sinking pedal fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 10:41 AM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

I just did this process with my Launch x431 V. I thought something was wrong at first because the left side was first and the pump never came on. I went back and read this post again and noticed the part in your post where you had the same experience. Thanks for posting that part or I would have stopped right then.

On my 981 Boxster S the dry pressure bleed could not be used because while the left front and rear only bleed off about 150ml each, the right front bleeds off about 400ml with the x431 automated ABS bleed. Luckily I had a friend pumping the pedal while I watched the catch bottle so I was able to shut the bleeder valve at just over 300ml and abort the process before the master cylinder ran dry. We restarted the process and it went like this:

left rear: 30 second countdown ended at 0 and bleed off about 150ml. No noticeable ABS activity while smoothly pumping break pedal.

left front: 30 second countdown that ended at about 5 and bleed off about 150ml. No noticeable ABS activity while smoothly pumping break pedal.

right front: 180 second countdown that ended at about 30 and bleed off about 400ml. Lots of noticeable ABS activity while smoothly pumping break pedal.

right rear: 180 second countdown that ended at about 40 and bleed off about 250ml. Lots of noticeable ABS activity while smoothly pumping break pedal.

I then went back and bleed off about 50ml at each inside caliper nipple.

I will be doing this again on my 997.2 Targa soon and I will post those details here as well.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2020, 10:54 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainz
I avoid the wet method primarily because I despise cleaning the pressure bleeder, and I'm always concerned that I the pressure bleeder could pump brake fluid some place I didn't want it if the tubing were to rupture.
I use mine dry and have had the tubing burst several times, so I am fearful of using it wet. I did accidentally suck air when I was bleeding the clutch one time and so I did that wet, took a lot of fluid to get that cleared out, and I put the whole assembly in a big garbage bag so in case it burst it would spray into the garbage bag.

I have gone to a heavier duty tubing, I forgot where it came from, so far it hasn't burst, fingers crossed....
Old 11-18-2020, 10:45 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaker136
I just did this process with my Launch x431 V. I thought something was wrong at first because the left side was first and the pump never came on. I went back and read this post again and noticed the part in your post where you had the same experience. Thanks for posting that part or I would have stopped right then.

On my 981 Boxster S the dry pressure bleed could not be used because while the left front and rear only bleed off about 150ml each, the right front bleeds off about 400ml with the x431 automated ABS bleed. Luckily I had a friend pumping the pedal while I watched the catch bottle so I was able to shut the bleeder valve at just over 300ml and abort the process before the master cylinder ran dry. We restarted the process and it went like this:

left rear: 30 second countdown ended at 0 and bleed off about 150ml. No noticeable ABS activity while smoothly pumping break pedal.

left front: 30 second countdown that ended at about 5 and bleed off about 150ml. No noticeable ABS activity while smoothly pumping break pedal.

right front: 180 second countdown that ended at about 30 and bleed off about 400ml. Lots of noticeable ABS activity while smoothly pumping break pedal.

right rear: 180 second countdown that ended at about 40 and bleed off about 250ml. Lots of noticeable ABS activity while smoothly pumping break pedal.

I then went back and bleed off about 50ml at each inside caliper nipple.

I will be doing this again on my 997.2 Targa soon and I will post those details here as well.

Jeff
Good update. I agree that the right side will use more fluid given the extra cycle time for the ABS. When I did mine (solo) I remember pumping slowly so as not to exceed 250ml. Also, I don't know to what pressure my pressure bleeder was pumped - - it's possible it was lower and the fluid was moving more slowly when not pumping than your setup. Either way, your post is a good reminder to work slowly and/or have a second set of eyes to make sure you don't run the reservoir dry and end up back at square one.

Last edited by Brainz; 11-21-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: PSA: 997 brake bleeding fail and sinking pedal fix