Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft Recovery Title - Second car, used Touareg.... Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 08:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Theft Recovery Title - Second car, used Touareg.... Yay or Nay?

I found a clean looking Theft recovery Touareg that I might be interested in. Never ever bought non-clean titles, it's currently priced about $9K below market (about 20-25% below clean title)... is it worth it? What should I check for? Would carfax tell me much?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:30 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Picked up a pre-driven 2017 Wolfsburg edition in March, absolutely love it. Best SUV/crossover/what ever they are calling them theses day I have driven. It is neither fast or nimble but pleasant and predictable to drive with what I feel is very good tire to steering wheel feel and feedback. Mileage is about the same as the 2017 Explorer sport I replaced it with and has only a little less cargo room and is only a 4 passenger vs a 6 passenger vehicle, I just don’t count middle seats counting for seating capacity. The braking could definitely be better but I have read several articles a simple switch to better rotors and pads makes a noticeable improvement The interior material rivals that of Lexis, Benz and Audi and you can see a lot of Audi’s chief interior designer’ hand in the design. The seats are fantastic, I am 6’2” and I find most car, truck and SUV seats are short and rarely comfortable and supportive. Technology, radio, nav and interface is very very dated and some just hate the fact that a then $55k vehicle came with technology no better than most VWs of the time. The panaramic roof is gigantic and lastly the car is extremely quite at 70-80. Cheers
Old 10-07-2020, 12:27 AM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I found a clean looking Theft recovery Touareg that I might be interested in. Never ever bought non-clean titles, it's currently priced about $9K below market (about 20-25% below clean title)... is it worth it? What should I check for? Would carfax tell me much?
Dealer? That sounds about right in terms of the % discount you’ll get for a branded title car. Just make sure you can actually insure it for a reasonable price. Personally, I would never buy a branded title car again. It’s feels like an itch you can never scratch...
Old 10-07-2020, 09:12 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

I've done the salvage thing in the past. I'm over it. Too much hassle, especially with the way everything is tracked today.

Ignoring that fact that half the "theft cars" are really flood cars, and "fresh water flood cars" are usually salt water flood cars, I'd be worried about insurance and liability. What if there is an accident and someone is hurt, and it comes out that the car was salvage/rebuilt? Does that show negligence? Will your insurance cover rebuilt cars?

Just too many guesses for me.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:55 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Double check with insurance. I looked at one once upon a time and insurance would only cover it with liability insurance. Even though the car was still worth 50k. Driving with only liability here in Texas with so many uninsured here is not wise.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Licensing, insurance and resale are all huge issues. Unless you are getting a huge discount, it isn't worth it.

Quick Reply: Theft Recovery Title - Second car, used Touareg.... Yay or Nay?