Sponsored by:

Door key won't return to center position

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 11:23 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door key won't return to center position

Guys, I have a 2007 Cabriolet S that is new to me. The door key unlocks/locks the door, but will not return to center. By comparison, my 996 key springs back to center after locking or unlocking its driver door. So, is the door key supposes to stay horizontal in the 997 door lock, or is my lock sticking? I have the lock removed from the car now, and it all looks normal, with no broken parts. I have watched several videos on this and they are usually concerned with the latch. My latch, windows and alarm all work perfectly. However, the key fob will not lock or unlock the car, even with a new battery. I thought that the fob issue had to do with the lock sticking. Should I 1) lubricate the lock core on the compressed spring, 2) spray inside the lock with Teflon dry lube or graphite? Is it time to replace it? Any other possibilities as to cause of this condition?
Old 09-27-2020, 05:04 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

I haven't personally seen the key not returning to center, but I would assume it has to do with the door lock actuator itself (ie what you're actually turning through the connection from the lock cylinder). The lock cylinder itself just rotates, in fact, you could rule it out by turning it separately from the door lock actuator while removed. If it sticks, then maybe it's binding. If not, it's internal within the door lock actuator.

As far as the remote, is it the original Grey version, or the later 997.2 updated one?

And have you tried syncing it by placing it in the ignition switch (off position) and holding down the lock button for several seconds?

The lock button on the dash should blink if it's syncing, if not, you may simply need a new remote with age, or could have a system issue requiring further diagnosis.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:11 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

Thanks Ptech1. The lock cylinder rotates smoothly apart from the actuator. I noticed a spring that looks out of place on the actuator. The pencil in the photo is pointing to it. Do you know if that is normal? If not, I'll try to slip it in place. It wouldn't quite reach into the hook when I tried yesterday, so I thought that the spring leg was supposed to stay behind the hook. I'll try the key re-learn again. I did it once with the key in the on position. That will have to wait until I get the door parts reassembled.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:12 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

Default Update

I bought a new lock actuator. The door locks/unlocks manually, but the key still does not spring back to center. The key cylinder spun smoothly all the way around when separated from the door handle. I made sure to get the plastic lock blade in its slot, otherwise the door actuator would not work.

And the key fob must be dead, though that is a separate issue. I'll have to take it to the dealer for a new one.

Quick Reply: Door key won't return to center position