Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Purchase from Carmax - good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 01:29 PM
cr45h8six
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The upside to Carmax is that they base prices off of book, so if you are looking for a vehicle that usually commands a premium over book (like a manual turbo coupe), you can actually buy them for book, not 125% of book like everywhere else.

Their warranty is also second to none. Many people don’t know this, but you do not have to take your vehicle to Carmax for warranty work... they will pay for dealership repairs through the warranty.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:15 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
I was able to snag my GTS for under market. With factory aero kit and the bucket seats. Seemed like a no brainer.

When we bought our Tesla X P90 it was priced like a standard 90....not with the Performance package. It was about $15k below market and mint. Very strange they can make those mistakes. If it was a mistake. Baffling.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by obobser
I felt weird as well buying from Carmax, but I pulled the trigger and bought at 2012 997.2 4GTS with 19,000 miles and was perfect inside and out....and priced $10,000 under market. They listed it as an S so they didn’t know what they had and I acted fast. There was a special at the time that reduced asking price by $1,000 if you financed through them and made at least one payment before paying it off or refinancing...so there’s that.

They paid for 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires with installation as well as alignment and road force balance done by my local Porsche dealer. I paid for all new TPMS’s as battery life was less then 6 months on the 8 year old car.

Their warranty was 90 days and I declined the extended service warranty as my dealer gave the car annual checkup and oil/filter change and gave me a thorough look through of the car during my 7 day return policy. I also had an independent do a detailed PPI and it came back with flying colors, so I’m confident I got a great car in perfect condition at a great price with CarMax. I did my research on the car by contacting the local dealer of the previous owner and purchased a CarFax as well as I didn’t trust the history report CarMax gave me, but they matched perfectly.

I had the car three stage color corrected, ppf installed, and ceramic coating applied and it turns heads everywhere I go. Overly happy with my purchase experience at CarMax!

In front of my dealer after new tires!!

I purchased my 2012 (listed around midnight on a Saturday and put hold on it at 8:00 Sunday morning) from an Autonation Mercedes Benz dealership in Waco Texas that had it listed as and priced as a 997.2 S. I saved about $5k to $10k and my car looked just like your except 2WD.

Without a doubt, many are pricing both GTS (shows up weird in the books) and manual 997.2s by the book even though they generally carry pretty nice premiums.

Last edited by Doug H; 10-09-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 Purchase from Carmax - good or bad idea?