Sponsored by:

Bizarre Radio startup issues-

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bizarre Radio startup issues-

2010 997.2 C4S, original PCM> I have a weird one for you...... last week I started the car, and immediately got an INDIAN FM station on the radio. Thought it was a temporary glitch. Well, it now does it each time I start the car. I am uploading a video for effect. When the key goes in, the radio powers up on the previous station as always, but after starting, the radio flips over to a local (Houston) FM station, which just happens to be Indian. I listened to it several times, and the adds (that are in English) are for local Sugarland restaurants, etc. Most of the talking and all of the singing is Indian. Touching a preset button solves the problem.

So- here's the question. Why would a local FM station take over a satellite radio PCM? My PCM is original (2010), never upgraded. There is one solution- to just change it out. The local dealer here suggested something called a 'handover', where you reset everything. I am trying to identify exactly which station this is here, see if it has something to do with their frequency or bandwidth. My PCM may be getting weak and somehow their bandwidth is interfering with it. I have never heard of this before.....
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
Indian FM station.mpg (5.80 MB, 21 views)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:06 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Similar issues have come up more than once recently on the forum. So, the first thing I would suggest is to go into the PCM menus and disable the TMS monitoring function. This was the fix for me and another poster, thanks to advice from Phrog.

There is a traffic monitoring system used in non-American markets that will override the radio. Since we don't use it, you may as well disable it. I don't know why this is happening so often--maybe the FCC had those frequencies tied up and just released them for traditional radio. In my case, the station was blasting gangsta-rap.

If that doesn't fix it, I'll have to defer to someone smarter. HTH.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:33 PM
Highpox1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you- that worked! In order to disable I had to go to TRAFFIC MESSAGES. When I did, the Indian FM station immediately began playing again. Somehow that frequency had (recently) hijacked the Traffic Messages override option. I had to hit the volume control button to disable. When I did that, voila, back to Satellite Radio. Restarting the car also kept it the same. Great suggestion. I never in a million years would have known why that was occurring. I did not know there even was a TMS that had alpha position over the radio...Have a good one.

Follow up- to permanently disable 'TP' (Traffic Programming) on that vintage of PCM, toggle to FM radio using the INPUT button, go to OPTIONS, and push the Traffic Programming button to remove the checkmark (disabling it). If this is enabled, it shows up in the lower right corner of your screen as TP (with a small green checkmark next to it). When disabled, that is no longer visible.

Last edited by Highpox1; 09-15-2020 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Added some new info on how to disable Traffic Programming.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Awesome. Glad it worked and I'm glad to be able to pass along some helpful advice for once.

Yours it the third thread about this in a month. I really do wonder what change has happened that is resulting in these radio stations suddenly showing up on the TMS frequency(ies)? Anybody work in terrestrial radio who has any ideas?
Old 09-11-2020, 04:50 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

This is the most bizarre issue I've ever read and yet rennlist comes through with a fix...incredible
The following users liked this post:
rlshaw (09-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Bizarre Radio startup issues-