Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Route rear decklid emergency release cable!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 11:53 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Re-Route rear decklid emergency release cable!

While giving advice to a forum member in a sister site regarding this problem that he faced, I decided to post it here with apologies to anyone who may have previously posted something similar.

I suggest that you do the following mod to make future access to the emergency release cable much easier. This is what I did and it works great:
  1. While looking down at the engine and in the vicinity of the left (driver's side) motor mount, look for the emergency release cable that goes into the taillight.
  2. Gently pull on it until the cable comes out completely.
  3. Remove your license plate and you should see an approximately 1/2" hole in the bumper.
  4. Route the cable within the engine compartment making sure that it doesn't bind or kink on anything
  5. Snake the release cable through the hole in the bumper so it now protrudes outside of the car.
  6. Close the decklid and pull on the cable to make sure that it will release the latch. If it doesn't, recheck to make sure it's not binding on something.
  7. Loop the cable and adhere it to the back of your license plate... I used Gorilla Tape.
  8. Remount your license plate.
I think that everyone should do this mod because having to "fish" the release cable through the taillight with a coat hanger or similar is ridiculous and not even mention risking marring the surrounding paint or gasket.
The following 2 users liked this post by Astur:
linderpat (09-04-2020), Presto (09-05-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 01:04 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,260 Posts

thanks for the tip.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

I posted on this a couple months ago. I ended up routing under the tail light and using some tape. But it sounds like you've got a better solution. A project for this afternoon.

Meanwhile, if anybody has a better idea for the emergency frunk release ...
Old 09-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

2010 997.2 C4S

There is a small hole hidden behind the mechanical latch. Once the license plate is removed you can see light through it from a very narrow angle. I was not able to get the camera to see it.

I put the cable through this hole several times before it found a route to the hole behind the license plate. I might have been able to do this without removing the air box but after several failed attempts the air box came off making the task much easier.

I do feel better about this than the way it was taped under the tail light.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Re-Route rear decklid emergency release cable!