Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Rear Backup Camera in Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020 | 08:49 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Default Installed Rear Backup Camera in Cabriolet

My JVC head unit supports a back-up camera so when I installed I left the rca plug available fore a camera. I then inherited a cheap camera for free so I decided to install.

I took off the left license plate light (2 screws) and unsnapped the holder to feed wire out the back. Camera is now mounted on left license plat bolt:

I then removed the rear light (two torx screws) and slid light out. I disconnected the light and fed the cables from the engine bay into the rear light cavity.

On the main light harness there is a black and blue wire and a brown wire. Use the red lead for the camera to the black and blue wire and the black lead to the brown wire.

Feed the second video cable through the grommet at the rear of the light cavity:

My car is a cab so I put top into service mode (1/2 way up, unclip rear window and fold up. Lift carpet up and remove rear grommet and using a long stiff wire or plastic tie, from inside the top cavity down to the rear light. Then use that as a taped guide to pull cable through.

Feed cable under carpet down to front of car through left side and simply tuck wire in between the body pieces, run under front door sill plate, under rubber door seal and behind carpet at footwell and plug into head unit rca out.

I needed a female to female adapter to connect the two cables, any audio one should work.

Last edited by mjposner; 08-25-2020 at 08:50 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mjposner:
Beachproducer (02-19-2023), BLU997 (08-27-2020), theblooms (08-18-2024), VT Blue (08-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Installed Rear Backup Camera in Cabriolet