Sponsored by:

Power Steering Line Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 10:06 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts
Cool Power Steering Line Leak

This is going to be a long shot, but I recently brought my car to the dealer to get a power steering line leak fixed (1 of 6 lines I am told).They quoted me >20 hours in labor because the engine needs to go out. My warranty (MaxCare) is saying this is a 3 hour job, and my car has been held captive for 2 weeks in a standstill battle. Has anyone had this same issue, and if so have any photos of the shop labor?

Would be forever thankful
Old 08-25-2020, 12:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

What year and model?

Where is the leak? Is it at the pump? etc...

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-25-2020, 12:28 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
This is going to be a long shot, but I recently brought my car to the dealer to get a power steering line leak fixed (1 of 6 lines I am told).They quoted me >20 hours in labor because the engine needs to go out. My warranty (MaxCare) is saying this is a 3 hour job, and my car has been held captive for 2 weeks in a standstill battle. Has anyone had this same issue, and if so have any photos of the shop labor?

Would be forever thankful
ALLDATA shows the labor for the pressure hose @ 3 hours and return hose @ 4.3 hours. The dealer is, wait for it, trying to hose you. Time to take it to an Indy?
Old 08-25-2020, 01:12 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
What year and model?

Where is the leak? Is it at the pump? etc...

Peace
Bruce in Philly
2012 911 GTS. I’m not familiar where the leak is, but they said the entire hose needs to be replaced and it snakes through lots of components requiring engine out.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ejabour
ALLDATA shows the labor for the pressure hose @ 3 hours and return hose @ 4.3 hours. The dealer is, wait for it, trying to hose you. Time to take it to an Indy?
Thanks, I appreciate that info. I believe it is the return hose, as I’ve been searching on RL I do see some posts of people saying the dealer required engine out. I’m under warranty but they will only cover 3 hours. I just want it to get some right, so might take it to a different dealer.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:24 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

That data is for a 997.1 base, GTS could be different. Still seems excessive even including pulling the engine.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:51 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ejabour
That data is for a 997.1 base, GTS could be different. Still seems excessive even including pulling the engine.
yeah I called a local Indy that was familiar with that hose as well. I guess it is very hard to get to.. I’d guess someone has had this happen to them with an invoice with the work done. Crossing my fingers

Quick Reply: Power Steering Line Leak