Sponsored by:

Coolant Flush/Change 997.2 9A1 DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021 | 10:23 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Sounds like you have an air pocket in the cooling system. It needs to be fully drained then a vacuum lift tool needs to be used to draw a vacuum on the system that then fills the cooling system. Heater needs to be turned on so the heater core valves are open to ensure you don't have air in the heater core (that's why the heat doesn't work - you have air in there).

Continuing to drive with air in the system can lead to engine damage from localized hot spots.

This is the tool you need:

https://lnengineering.com/products/p...lift-tool.html
Charles,

It appears that clearance could be a challenge at the coolant fill point. Does your Baum tool work or do I need to find a low clearance adapter?
Old 01-15-2021 | 10:35 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
Charles,

It appears that clearance could be a challenge at the coolant fill point. Does your Baum tool work or do I need to find a low clearance adapter?
The Baum tool should work just fine. We've never had any complaints, however I just got off the phone with Baum and they stated it should work with 997 models and they too have never had any calls with issues on 997 models.
Old 01-15-2021 | 01:28 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
The Baum tool should work just fine. We've never had any complaints, however I just got off the phone with Baum and they stated it should work with 997 models and they too have never had any calls with issues on 997 models.
Thanks for going the extra mile and checking with Baum. Not expected but very much appreciated!

I hate being in the middle of a project only to find that my tool purchase will not work.
Old 04-01-2024 | 08:01 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 107 Posts

Bruce,
I wanted to say thank you for the DiY on the coolant flush. It was a huge help.

I performed the flush today with a Schwaben vacuum tool and it worked great.
I also used your purge method with the coolant hoses. I think the toughest part of the whole job
was getting the return hose off. It was stuck on pretty good and needed quite a bit of persuading
before it gave up the fight. A pick, some WD40 and some Channel Locks did the trick in the end.

At the end of the day I got just shy of 6 gallons out when I factor in the coolant that ended up on the garage floor .
I don't think my coolant drain extension was as good as yours. There was a bit of spillage.

I'm just over 40K mi on my 2011, so I wasn't too worried about getting every last drop of the old stuff, which
still looked good, color-wise.

I also went the Zerex G40 route, which FCP Euro carries. Zerex is guaranteed for
5 yrs/150K miles and is Porsche Approved for vehicles 2005 and forward.

I'm having a beer in your honor right now.
Bill
Old 04-01-2024 | 09:23 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 996 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. Always good to hear back since I am never sure others can read my mind.

So... how about some paranoia.... check your power steering fluid... color? If on the darker side, time to flush.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-01-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2024 | 09:42 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Glad it worked out for you. Always good to hear back since I am never sure others can read my mind.

So... how about some paranoia.... check your power steering fluid... color? If on the blacker side, time to flush.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
HA! I'm now going to have to do a check on the color of the fluid.

However, my first thouht would be to take a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid. Replace with new fluid. Crank the steering for a bit. Check the color of the replacement fluid. Repeat until it is clean. The fluid is comparatively cheap, so that might be the route to take, but I will now have to do a little homework .

Quick Reply: Coolant Flush/Change 997.2 9A1 DIY