Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible fishy title issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 10:42 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Good luck with the PPI! I was in the business for 16 years and am happy to help answer any questions you may have. I live in the Dallas area now.

GTS Car Life
Automotive Lifestyle Channel on YouTube

Old 08-17-2020, 08:09 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
*UPDATE* Spoke to the dealer again and got some clarification on the title situation which has me feeling much more optimistic.

The vehicle is not on consignment, they own the car. More specifically, their bank owns the car as they utilize "floor plan" financing as ThomasCarreraGTS mentioned.

Under this financing model, they do not hold any physical titles at the dealership, the bank holds them as collateral against their line of credit. Looked it up, seems completely legit and completely common.

I was told there will still be a delay (2-3 weeks) for them to acquire the title but the wait is only between them and their bank, not them and the Texas RMV.

My initial fear was that the car was on consignment or they were still waiting for the title to come in from the previous owner and that is not the case.

I am moving forward with the PPI scheduled for tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
That's great to hear and sounds completely legit...every dealer I've ever known (except one) floor plans their inventory through someone. I am still surprised at that amount of time for them to get the title from their bank. If you need it faster, I would hope they would help out with that.

Good luck with PPI!

Bob
Old 08-17-2020, 10:14 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

This Massachusetts refusal to honor another state's temp tags is some unconstitutional BS. They are required to give full faith and credit to the laws of the other states; I can see this applying to Massachusetts residents as a condition of getting and keeping a Mass DL, but in my research, the temp tag law applies to ANY temp tag driving through Massachusetts. And that can't be right. I may have to deliberately test this out.

Hope it all works out; sounds like it has. I do like that more states are going electronic with their titles and paperwork. Security is the biggest concern, but hopefully they can start integrating blockchain into the title system.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:56 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtshark
This Massachusetts refusal to honor another state's temp tags is some unconstitutional BS. They are required to give full faith and credit to the laws of the other states; I can see this applying to Massachusetts residents as a condition of getting and keeping a Mass DL, but in my research, the temp tag law applies to ANY temp tag driving through Massachusetts. And that can't be right. I may have to deliberately test this out.

Hope it all works out; sounds like it has. I do like that more states are going electronic with their titles and paperwork. Security is the biggest concern, but hopefully they can start integrating blockchain into the title system.
It's only for MA DL holders trying to use an out of state temp tag, not other states' DL holder using whatever is legal in other states.

"Temporary plates are not provided in Massachusetts, so they are not legal. If you are an out-of-state resident and temporary plates are allowed in your state, simply driving through the state of MA with that temporary plate is okay. However, if you have a MA driver’s license and have a temporary plate, then that is not legal. It would be equivalent to you driving without any plate at all. Your vehicle could be impounded as a result."
Old 08-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
It's only for MA DL holders trying to use an out of state temp tag, not other states' DL holder using whatever is legal in other states.

"Temporary plates are not provided in Massachusetts, so they are not legal. If you are an out-of-state resident and temporary plates are allowed in your state, simply driving through the state of MA with that temporary plate is okay. However, if you have a MA driver’s license and have a temporary plate, then that is not legal. It would be equivalent to you driving without any plate at all. Your vehicle could be impounded as a result."
Yes, that would make sense if it's how it is enforced. I found several examples online of people driving through MA with temp tags getting harassed even though they do not have a MA DL. People also contacted the MA state police who responded that under no circumstances are temp tags allowed in MA, even for non residents. THAT'S some BS. My state, and the state I'm in now, both have temp tags, indeed a variety of them. I have zero connection to MA. I have a MD DL. I should be able to freely drive through MA with a valid temp tag. Anything else is an unconstitutional infringement on our fundamental right to travel. Yes that's really a thing.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 11:17 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtshark
Yes, that would make sense if it's how it is enforced. I found several examples online of people driving through MA with temp tags getting harassed even though they do not have a MA DL. People also contacted the MA state police who responded that under no circumstances are temp tags allowed in MA, even for non residents. THAT'S some BS. My state, and the state I'm in now, both have temp tags, indeed a variety of them. I have zero connection to MA. I have a MD DL. I should be able to freely drive through MA with a valid temp tag. Anything else is an unconstitutional infringement on our fundamental right to travel. Yes that's really a thing.

The reason they get hassled is that of course people move to MA but do not switch their car's reg to MA within the window (30 days). If you move to MA and change your license to MA before your car's reg, you could get nailed. From MD, you can drive through MA all you want -- they love your tolls.

Anyway, the PO looks like he has a solution that works, now he just needs a good PPI to finish the job.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:50 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 300 Posts

Just heard back from the shop regarding the condition of the car. For the most part, the car is in great condition though a few issues were found.

The most concerning would be the discovery of "small seepage of engine oil around the rear main area. Could be seeping from where the cases seal together."
Speaking with the shop they said they couldn't discern if the seepage is coming from the rear main seal or the crank but either job is an engine out repair. They did say they don't believe it warrants an immediate repair.

Researching this now, an RMS leak seems very uncommon for the 997.2 and I found nothing online to compare to. This is the image of the seepage below.

Has anyone had a similar leak with a 997.2? It' an '09 with 83k miles. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:31 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Just heard back from the shop regarding the condition of the car. For the most part, the car is in great condition though a few issues were found.

The most concerning would be the discovery of "small seepage of engine oil around the rear main area. Could be seeping from where the cases seal together."
Speaking with the shop they said they couldn't discern if the seepage is coming from the rear main seal or the crank but either job is an engine out repair. They did say they don't believe it warrants an immediate repair.

Researching this now, an RMS leak seems very uncommon for the 997.2 and I found nothing online to compare to. This is the image of the seepage below.

Has anyone had a similar leak with a 997.2? It' an '09 with 83k miles. Any help would be appreciated.

What city is the shop in?

Old 08-17-2020, 09:34 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
What city is the shop in?
PM'd you

Quick Reply: possible fishy title issue