Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed to read this CarFax

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020 | 03:57 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Default Help needed to read this CarFax

Can someone please help me understand this CarFax? it appears that there have been 7 owners, but I'm pretty sure there is some duplication or redundant entries?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Carfax 997.1 C4S.pdf (1.99 MB, 61 views)
Old 08-14-2020 | 04:13 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Owner entry # 2 and #3 seem like it was either dealer owned or possibly transferred between dealerships, it's up to you if seeing this will put you off now or in the future, as it's probably never going to go away.

Many people want cars with low ownerships and records, just food for thought.
Old 08-14-2020 | 05:20 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

owmership data on Carfax is usually accurate but several things can trigger this. Maybe this varies by state, I just don't know. Paying off a loan can create a new title. Also a divorce from Mr. & Mrs. to a new title to just Mr. creates a new title. Putting a car on the company books and then buying it back can create another record. Also as noted a dealer who takes in a trade and sells it off to another dealer also creates a transfer. Some or all of these may apply. Since the car was serviced byPorsche dealers at various times in its life, it is probably a good car. If you are looking for a car to actually own and use for a long time, this may be a candidate. If you are one of those that are more worried about selling it before you even buy it, then you are on your own in my book.
My car was noted as 4 owners and reported damage. It was a one owner car with all records including window sticker and the "damage" was from hitting an object in the road and bending one wheel which created a damage report from the insurance claim. I bought the car from the original owner , all records and a set of new fuchs from the insurance claim. I am riding around with probably $10,000+ extra in my pocket. perfect car 997.2 MT. If you do not have the original records, then Carfax is your only source and pretty good but you do need to question what the entries actually mean. Kinda like the "reviews " on Amazon, read but don't believe everything. You are already doing this.
The following users liked this post:
FamilyMan928 (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020 | 05:34 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Thanks guys for the quick replies and for your thoughts. I actually bought this car last year. I've enjoyed it immensely! The CarFax was given to me prior to making the decision. At the time it didn't bother me since the PPI checked out and the color combo and options ticked all the boxes for me. I plan on keeping it for a long time, but as I've read about new owners on the forum it seems like many have a leaning towards lower miles and having fewer previous owners.

I guess if you're looking for 993 the number of miles and number of previous owners is far less relevant. Meaning, the condition and options will mean more to most buyers. Maybe the 997 generation will begin to move in the direction as it will become the "modern" classic.

Old 08-14-2020 | 05:57 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Cars should be bought on condition. Not number of owners. That Carfax is fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
FamilyMan928 (08-14-2020), Jaws1 (08-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Help needed to read this CarFax