Coolant Flush

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
@Bruce In Philly, just a heads up that neither of your links were working for me. The top one went to eBay and jack stands, and the bottom one to Walmart with a 404.

Thx!

Bob
Boy that is odd... is anyone else having that issue? I tested them both, from your post. If your scroll your cursor over the link, what appears at the bottom of the page?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
@Bruce In Philly I have the 550500 and can't complain. I run it off a cheap $150 Harbor Freight 21 gallon air compressor (you wouldn't want any less than that though - pancake compressor won't cut it), and it pulls the required vacuum quickly. The only "issue" I find with it is that the cone shaped rubber snubber that you wedge into the coolant expansion tank opening seems to shed a bit - like when you touch it with your hand, your hand gets black. Not sure what kind of rubber it is that causes that but it hasn't caused a problem and I've owned it and used it for 6 years or so now. Actually just used it two weeks ago when I did my flush. Performed flawlessly.
Oh, boy, you may have just killed it for me. I only have a pancake compressor. What if I drain it and then let the motor run? Will it hold vacuum while the motor drops the pressure?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-11-2020, 11:05 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Boy that is odd... is anyone else having that issue? I tested them both, from your post. If your scroll your cursor over the link, what appears at the bottom of the page?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
@Bruce In Philly it’s my end. Not sure why but I’m getting 502 and 520 errors from RL’s site.

It’s me. It’s not you.

1,000 apologies.

Bob
Old 08-12-2020, 10:20 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Oh, boy, you may have just killed it for me. I only have a pancake compressor. What if I drain it and then let the motor run? Will it hold vacuum while the motor drops the pressure?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce, you can try it but I honestly don't think it could generate enough vacuum to get the gauge into the green. I don't think it's so much the capacity of the pancake compressor that is the issue, it's the fact that the compressor motor on those just doesn't move much air and you need a certain amount of airflow to generate the required vacuum using the venturi-effect of the coolant lift pump. The minimum compressor specs required by the coolant lift tool are 90 psi @ 4.2 cfm. Check your pancake compressor and see but my guess is the specs are lower than that.

I have this compressor:
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-61454.html

For $150, it will run air tools, coolant lift pumps, etc. It's not huge and doesn't take up much space. I miss my big 60 gallon 2-stage compressor but just don't have room for it in my current garage. This $150 compressor is great - I store it in a closet in the house and wheel it out to the garage on an as-needed basis.

Quick Reply: Coolant Flush