Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Maintenance Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020 | 07:02 AM
Porschefan2001
AutoX

Default 997.2 Maintenance Help!!

Just picked up a 09 911 Carrera S Cabriolet with 32000 miles on it. I'm not sure of the the maintenance done on it in the last few years and just want to know at the minimum what service to have done on it to get it to
a comfortable level.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-25-2020 | 07:22 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Oil change and Brake fluid flush at minimum. Check and replace pollen air filter if necessary. Spark plugs are usually replaced around 40k Perhaps the dealership can check service records to see what has been done already
Old 07-25-2020 | 07:56 AM
bah212
Advanced

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Oil change and Brake fluid flush at minimum. Check and replace pollen air filter if necessary. Spark plugs are usually replaced around 40k Perhaps the dealership can check service records to see what has been done already
In addition to the above, if they are still original, the engine air filters should also be changed.
Old 07-25-2020 | 08:20 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Pull a carfax, sometimes the maintenance, if performed by a dealer will be listed on it. If not, you can call the dealers listed there and ask them what's been done and when.

If you cannot verify it then assume it hasn't been done and should be. I would start with an oil change, brake fluid. Take it to an indy and have it inspected if not already done so. They will have specific recommendations but be ready to open up your wallet. See what they say, then come back here and search for answers to your questions.
Old 07-25-2020 | 09:34 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 157K miles

If manual transmission, I would replace the transmission fluid with Porsche-defined PTX. This is purely a preventative move to avoid inevitable 1st gear jam. Cleaning the throttle body and MAF are easy to do if you are changing the air filters for only the cost of the spray.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-25-2020 | 11:54 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

If PDK you may want to change that fluid based on time.

Look at the date code on the tires to make sure they are not over 3 to 5 years old ... UV and air pollution oxidizes the rubber and hardens the treads and tires can become dangerous even if they seem to have a lot of wear left.

The poly V belt should be inspected for cracking ... It's probably fine.

Windshield wipers are likely due for a refresh.

As others have said ... Oil change with filter; air filter (and cabin filter); brake fluid flush.
Old 07-25-2020 | 12:47 PM
ccdoggy
Intermediate

Replace:
Interior Air Filter
Engine air filters
Engine Oil + filter
if PDK have fluid changed
Windshield wiper blades
If no recorded brake fluid change, do so

Check:
Brake pads + rotors
Accessory Belt
Motor Mounts - Not a hard job and can substantially improve drive

Do:
Lube the cab top 'joints'
Clean the top good with proper cleaner and seal it (RaggTopp Top Cleaner/Protectant Kit)
Condition the various rubber seals for the Cab top, Gummi Pflege is popular choice
Depending on car location and history, clean out the drains to prevent water in car
Purchase a Wind deflector if you do not have one. Not maintenance but does improve the ride with top down.
Plan to replace spark plugs. time consuming job.
Old 07-25-2020 | 12:55 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ccdoggy
Replace:
Interior Air Filter
Engine air filters
Engine Oil + filter
if PDK have fluid changed
Windshield wiper blades
If no recorded brake fluid change, do so

Check:
Brake pads + rotors
Accessory Belt
Motor Mounts - Not a hard job and can substantially improve drive

Do:
Lube the cab top 'joints'
Clean the top good with proper cleaner and seal it (RaggTopp Top Cleaner/Protectant Kit)
Condition the various rubber seals for the Cab top, Gummi Pflege is popular choice
Depending on car location and history, clean out the drains to prevent water in car
Purchase a Wind deflector if you do not have one. Not maintenance but does improve the ride with top down.
Plan to replace spark plugs. time consuming job.
PDK clutch oil change would be due. PDK gear oil change would not yet be due on that car.

In addition to the list above, I would also have the brake fluid flushed. If the car is still running original spark plugs, I would have them changed. (On my '09 with 27k miles, I had the plugs changed. Really glad I did once I saw what they looked like.)

Old 07-26-2020 | 11:47 AM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Default Service based on time, not mileage.

Originally Posted by Porschefan2001
Just picked up a 09 911 Carrera S Cabriolet with 32000 miles on it. I'm not sure of the the maintenance done on it in the last few years and just want to know at the minimum what service to have done on it to get it to
a comfortable level.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
I also have an 09 Carrera, a C4S cabriolet MT with 37,500 miles. I've had it for 3 years and 10,000 miles. My local independent shop just finished the twelve-year, 120K mil service and replaced the clutch, flywheel, and power-steering pump; changed every fluid, replaced the plugs and coil packs, and did a professional paint correction. I replaced the brake pads and rotors, the washer fluid reservoir, and some plastic lower body trim pieces. I scrubbed the belly pans, floor plan, engine, and the most visible suspension components. I replaced some worn plastic lower body trim pieces. I am very comfortable that nothing is going to go wrong for lack of maintenance.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Maintenance Help!!