Sponsored by:

Tracking a 4S/4GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 08:46 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Tracking a 4S/4GTS

We are currently shopping for a 2nd car that we can do DE events in; my wife and I want to be able to drive at the same time. What are thoughts on the 997.2 4S or 4GTS at the track vs the standard 2S/GTS? I don't need the AWD but a nice one has come up locally (4GTS in PDK) and it is being sold for a reasonable price by a friend of a friend.

I am just worried that it won't be as "fun" at the track. We are used to tracking 981/987 platforms (and the occasional 991). I have driven a 4S vs a 2S on back roads at high speed (with crap pavement as well) and the 4S doesn't feel substantially heavier but it does engage and drive differently.

The main reason I have pause is that people say the Turbo isn't that much fun at the track due to the AWD system.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:15 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 635 Posts

Well...the 997.2 4GTS is: Fast! Best looking modern 911. Best track/street value combo with PDK. If you go purist, sure, the manual GTS, but comes with a premium. If the car you’re looking at has SC+ with PSE, no-brainer for the 4GTS. The GTS is the perfectly spec’d S/4S. You and your wife will howl with delight, no matter the weather. Have fun arguing over who drives. The 4 only carries a 120 lb weight penalty for the AWD. Fun at the track? It’s a 911. A good driver in a GTS can drive past a so-so driver in a Turbo S, GT3, 458, etc.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:17 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

You will find a loyal and rabid following on either side. The all wheel drive contingent loves the extra traction and clawing like characteristics of awd around turns and on acceleration. It can make you feel invincible. The rear drive fans prefer the greater ability to control the car with throttle and countersteer. Different experience and either side will tell you why they prefer their choice. You really should try to drive both, or at least draw on any past all-wheel-drive experiences you had.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:23 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

I do have one 4WD vs AWD experience in my pocket: I had a standard Tacoma 4WD SR5 for years, but wasn't using the 4WD in the winter (I had great snow tires) and loved to find the limits of the truck in icy parking lots. I could definitely rotate that thing pretty well, almost like a kart. I don't know how relevant it is to a 911 discussion however.

FWIW, our other car is a 981 Cayman S with $20k worth of suspension and brake upgrades. No matter what we do to the GTS, it won't keep up with the 981 in the corners, but that isn't the point. We need something that can track and pick up the kids at school, otherwise, we can't run together on the same days.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 11:26 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Yeah, I get that. The first AWD car I ever drove was the original Audi Quattro coupe. My buddies dad was a high-ranking Porsche+Audi exec and brought home all sorts of fun cars. I still remember how much fun it was trying to break that thing lose. I don't think we ever were able to. And of course the 959 was AWD, so there is something to be said for that, if thats what gets you going. Recently I was instructing a guy in a 991 Turbo S, and truly the only thing that kept us out of the wall was the amazing computers, AWD and PDk synergy. He truly did everything wrong, but the car saved his butt at every turn. And even if you're a skilled driver, you may prefer the feel of traction that AWD provides. For me, a 911 is a classic design and the heritage is this unlikely flat 6 rear-engined design with tiny little back seats and RWD. So I prefer sticking with the classic concept in a 911, and I also really enjoy kicking the tail around under acceleration. It makes me happy. Your 981, especially with $20,000 in proper suspension mods is it's own beast. None of us can tell you if you'll prefer one over the other - drive them if you can. But I believe you will really enjoy the different driving characteristics of a 997 GTS. Its different. Maybe not better than your 981, but different. And special.

Originally Posted by Kg11
Thanks!

I do have one 4WD vs AWD experience in my pocket: I had a standard Tacoma 4WD SR5 for years, but wasn't using the 4WD in the winter (I had great snow tires) and loved to find the limits of the truck in icy parking lots. I could definitely rotate that thing pretty well, almost like a kart. I don't know how relevant it is to a 911 discussion however.

FWIW, our other car is a 981 Cayman S with $20k worth of suspension and brake upgrades. No matter what we do to the GTS, it won't keep up with the 981 in the corners, but that isn't the point. We need something that can track and pick up the kids at school, otherwise, we can't run together on the same days.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:04 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Yeah, I get that. The first AWD car I ever drove was the original Audi Quattro coupe. My buddies dad was a high-ranking Porsche+Audi exec and brought home all sorts of fun cars. I still remember how much fun it was trying to break that thing lose. I don't think we ever were able to. And of course the 959 was AWD, so there is something to be said for that, if thats what gets you going. Recently I was instructing a guy in a 991 Turbo S, and truly the only thing that kept us out of the wall was the amazing computers, AWD and PDk synergy. He truly did everything wrong, but the car saved his butt at every turn. And even if you're a skilled driver, you may prefer the feel of traction that AWD provides. For me, a 911 is a classic design and the heritage is this unlikely flat 6 rear-engined design with tiny little back seats and RWD. So I prefer sticking with the classic concept in a 911, and I also really enjoy kicking the tail around under acceleration. It makes me happy. Your 981, especially with $20,000 in proper suspension mods is it's own beast. None of us can tell you if you'll prefer one over the other - drive them if you can. But I believe you will really enjoy the different driving characteristics of a 997 GTS. Its different. Maybe not better than your 981, but different. And special.
Kewl-I am going for different; the 981 is amazing and does what it does incredibly well; it is always going be lighter and more balanced than the 997, but I want something a little old-school and different for the Cayman. We want to do 5-6 days a year and will each get 1/2 the time in each car. I think, for personal preference, I will try and hold out for a clean RWD manual. PDK I am sure is super fun but I enjoy running through the gears in the 981; I am in 2nd or 3rd most fo the time anyways.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (06-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Tracking a 4S/4GTS