Sponsored by:

Best way to eliminate understeer

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 01:58 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
thanks for such a detailed response! I have always loved sway bars because of how easy of a mod they are and how big of a change they can make. In addition to tires the GT3 rear sway seems like a good easy option to just see how it feels. If I don’t like it I can always add a front or remove it all together. From there I think maybe the LCAs in the off season if I still feel the need is a good progression.
If you do they install in 30 minutes and entry fee is reasonable. Be sure to order the GT2 rear rubber bushings as well, the rubber bushings are drilled out in order to work with thicker bar. Start with stiffest setting, closest adjustment hole to the bar, in order to feel how quickly it affects turn in. This may cause too much oversteer actually, so you will probably settle on the middle adjustment hole, but at least you can dial it in. The adjustment hole towards the end of bar is the softest setting.

Originally Posted by Miamirice
qikqbn- one of the joys of rear engine driving I had was a friends 964 RS clone. The car was very softly sprung and it would porpoise with every gear change, but it took real focus to NOT have the car oversteer. Even in mid speed corners the suspension was all twisty and prodding the back tires loose.
Not quite 964's, but I love watching classic 911's race. Their softer suspension setups makes for some exciting racing. These boys can drive!!!

Old 06-24-2020, 04:02 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Auric
- understeer indicates you front end is losing grip before your rear end given your current driving style
- you fix this by adding more grip up front or decreasing grip in the rear
- ways to add grip up front include aero (splitter), more tire (run square set-up), run a less stiff anti roll bar, run lower tire pressure (more optimal tire pressure) in the fronts, more negative camber, less toe ( I wouldn't go over zero)
- conversely, you can add a stiffer bar in the rear, run slightly high pressure in the rear to decrease grip. I'd personally never run toe greater than zero in the rear
- you can also change you driving style, maybe use more trail breaking (or lift mid corner :-) )
pretty much everything you need to know (broad strokes) in a few simple sentences.
and
as someone else said, 911 driving style differs from most any front engine car's required style.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:02 PM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I put on Tarret Engineering camber plates, and am running -2 degrees with almost 0 toe in the front, -2-5 and similarly near 0 toe in the resr. Also have DSC controller (huge props, but like you said not for understeer). Stock shocks, bars, etc. Very, very, very little understeer -- essentially goes where you point it.

Seemed like a "low cost" attempt at solving the problem when I tried it, and very happy with the outcome.

The above is on a 2009 997.2 S
Old 06-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradinthe56
I put on Tarret Engineering camber plates, and am running -2 degrees with almost 0 toe in the front, -2-5 and similarly near 0 toe in the resr. Also have DSC controller (huge props, but like you said not for understeer). Stock shocks, bars, etc. Very, very, very little understeer -- essentially goes where you point it.

Seemed like a "low cost" attempt at solving the problem when I tried it, and very happy with the outcome.

The above is on a 2009 997.2 S
thank you.....any negative factors associated with the camber plates for daily driving? You guys are going to be to blame for yet another car I bought to daily and it goes done the Mod fest road...
Old 06-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
If you do they install in 30 minutes and entry fee is reasonable. Be sure to order the GT2 rear rubber bushings as well, the rubber bushings are drilled out in order to work with thicker bar. Start with stiffest setting, closest adjustment hole to the bar, in order to feel how quickly it affects turn in. This may cause too much oversteer actually, so you will probably settle on the middle adjustment hole, but at least you can dial it in. The adjustment hole towards the end of bar is the softest setting.

Not quite 964's, but I love watching classic 911's race. Their softer suspension setups makes for some exciting racing. These boys can drive!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eiyOaRPn4g
I feel so lucky and grateful to have these wonderful people take these great cars and not put them in a showroom but take them to HSR and Goodwood and actually run them hard.
The following users liked this post:
qikqbn (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 12:17 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eiyOaRPn4g
Thank you for tonites smile. Great watch!
The following users liked this post:
qikqbn (06-25-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 03:02 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Camber plates, RSS or GT3 front LCAs are your answer. These will also allow you to optimize your rear camber to minimize chewing up the outside of the rear tires. You can go at least -1.5 with the stock rear suspension. I found~ -1.5 all around a good street/track compromise.

Quick Reply: Best way to eliminate understeer