Sponsored by:

Broken boots on harness ends

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 05:21 PM
Mustache
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Broken boots on harness ends

I have two boots in the engine bay that I’d like to replace.

Stopped by my local dealer which wasn’t much help since they said I had to order each complete harness to then disassemble it, just for that one piece.

The one circled in red concerns me more because the wires are exposed and visually jumps out at you.

For reference purposes I don’t know what the green circled one is for. The red one is plugged into the air box so I’m assuming it’s for a mass air flow sensor, I couldn’t really describe the green one at the dealer other than it’s next to the trunk latch.

Any ideas on how I can go about getting it repaired?

Old 06-17-2020, 07:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 156K miles...

Try ebay... search "automotive electrical connectors" or something like that.... I did a quick look and saw a MAF connector for a 986 so you should find something with some tenacity.

Or, use some high-temp electrical tape.... not pretty, but will work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-18-2020, 08:01 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Agreed - I would use Xtreme Tape on that. It is a high temp, self bonding silicone tape and is perfect for a job like that, and it can be applied neatly so that you cannot tell there is a repair. But - this assumes to underlying wires are not compromised - look carefully at that pigtail, and make sure the individual wires are still good, without cracked casings/insulation. I use this on my older 928's, and it holds up very well, and is a lot easier to use than trying to replace the torn boot, especially with the harness in place. Link: https://www.xtremetape.com/

BTW, on closer inspection of the tears in those boots, it sure looks like rodent work. If so, you may have compromises elsewhere in that engine bay that you cannot see. Do you store the car where there are rodents?

Quick Reply: Broken boots on harness ends