My first ever 911 and there are questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 08:35 PM
KDemon
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first ever 911 and there are questions

Hi Everyone,
Have had various cars throughout the years and just bought my first Porsche - a 997.1 C4 a week ago, and this is my first ever post here too.

The car seems to be in a good solid shape despite the mileage (135.000 km or 85.000 miles) but since it's my first time owning a Porsche, I'm still learning and studying. There are a few questions but today I wanted to ask you about the oil level.

I check it everytime before starting the car, so it takes about 5 sec. Did so today too, oil level was one bar below max level, which is what I bought it with. Had a run on a country road and highway without pushing too hard, went for a refuel and got a blinkinking 'oil low' indicator on central display after restarting the engine, no other warning lights. Just the oil level indicator on central display blinking at minimum level.

Stopped immediately, turned off the engine, checked the oil level again after 10 min or so - it was higher than the warning, but one bar lower compared to when I got it out of the garage, i.e. just one above minimum level. I only ran for about 40-50km at that point (25-30 miles or so). No warning lights or 'oil low' indications came on after that. Nevertheless, got home without pushing it all.

Went to check the oil level after the car cooled down, it was still just one bar above minimum, so one bar disappeared in a matter of 80km (50 miles) or so. I have driven only around 200 miles (330km) since I bought it so not sure where all that oil has gone. No visible oil leaks as far as I can see.

One more question - I am planning to take the car to Germany for a complete check up and maintanance but just in case I have to top the oil up before that, how much do you recommend I put in without overflowing it? Also, what oil should it be in terms of figures?

Perhaps these are completely rookie questions but would appreciate your thoughts, thank you!
Old 06-14-2020, 09:33 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

The oil gauge is a bit fickle. You can have a drop over one segment and it shows the next one. It really needs level ground and you'll get a sense of how much you should add after awhile. I generally keep mine in the middle of the gauge. If, I get the low level warning I will add 1/2 qrt. Then check it again later and see where it's at. One thing to keep in mind is that measuring it cold will often measure slightly higher than warm due to condensation in the oil.
I burn about 1/2 quart every 1k miles.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:54 AM
KDemon
5th Gear

Thank you for replying @Hella-Buggin'

Last dealer service (and oil change) on my car were done about 2000 miles ago. As I'm new to 911, I'm not used to the idea of burning oil that quickly
Old 06-15-2020, 03:55 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

oops, I copied my comment from another thread where I read your problem ...

First off.. Congrats on the 997.1 C4. Checking oil levels shortly after a drive and at the gas station will usually give you different oil level readings. Our cars can potentially burn quickly through oil depending on driving conditions. This would be a good thread for you to read through and for you to share any further observations in that thread if you like. When you post in an existing thread, then everyone who previously commented in that thread will get notified. So you can potentially get feedback from more members in the thread linked below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-off-oil.html
Old 06-15-2020, 10:56 AM
KDemon
5th Gear

Thank you @qikqbn , much appreciated!

Quick Reply: My first ever 911 and there are questions