Sponsored by:

997.2 fluids

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 04:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
The PDK is a little confusing, because there are two fluids involved and two very different mechanical/hydraulic sections involved, with their own independent fluids that do not mingle.

The PDK gear case uses gear oil and the pan has an integral filter. It is basically derived from a manual transmission in many respects and takes that sort of gear oil. The recommended interval is on the order of 100k miles. Some 2009 models have a pan issue and it is recommended to service the pan and replenish the gear fluid when doing the PDK clutch.

The PDK clutch has it's own hydraulic fluid, which both operates the hydraulics and baths the two clutch packs. (wet clutches - somewhat like a motorcycle).

The PDK clutch fluid is speciality stuff and it requires the shop computer to cycle the warmed-up transmission into special modes to allow full drain and refill of the PDK clutch section. The maintenance schedule says 60k miles or so many years (don't remember specifically). My experience before and after changing it at 8 years and 60k miles was that might be too long.
There is so much conflicting information circulating about the two PDK fluid services. I'm not attempting to discredit or dispute anything that has been stated above - because I just don't know. What I do know is that I am hearing inconsistent information at every turn. Case in point - that the PDK clutch portion has its own pan / filter - separate from the PDK gear pan. I heard that most recently from a local Indy here.

My car has an appointment tomorrow morning at the local Porsche dealer for the PDK clutch oil service (recommended at 6yr / 60k miles. My car is 11.5 yr / 27k miles.) I'm going to hang around and get the techs to physically point this out to me while under the car. Seeing is believing.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:51 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
There is so much conflicting information circulating about the two PDK fluid services. I'm not attempting to discredit or dispute anything that has been stated above - because I just don't know. What I do know is that I am hearing inconsistent information at every turn. Case in point - that the PDK clutch portion has its own pan / filter - separate from the PDK gear pan. I heard that most recently from a local Indy here.

My car has an appointment tomorrow morning at the local Porsche dealer for the PDK clutch oil service (recommended at 6yr / 60k miles. My car is 11.5 yr / 27k miles.) I'm going to hang around and get the techs to physically point this out to me while under the car. Seeing is believing.

The filter is a small white mat filter that is integral to the plastic non reusable pan. The pan kit includes the oil. This kit makes the parts cost much less than purchasing things separately. It also insures you're getting the right oil ... Don't count on the dealer knowing this!!!

The gear box is a separate entity. But the fill plugs for both are easy to interchange.

Good luck with your service tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 08:31 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The filter is a small white mat filter that is integral to the plastic non reusable pan. The pan kit includes the oil. This kit makes the parts cost much less than purchasing things separately. It also insures you're getting the right oil ... Don't count on the dealer knowing this!!!

The gear box is a separate entity. But the fill plugs for both are easy to interchange.

Good luck with your service tomorrow.
Quick follow up on the PDK Clutch Oil service:

Had that work done today at the local Porsche dealership. They did not need to replace the pan (and told me they virtually never replace them.) No issues with the plug removal and reinstallation. It was in good shape. (And my car is an early production 997.2 - manufactured Nov. 2008).

They used 7 liters of Pentosin FFL 3 (part number 000-043-305-13). Price paid was the list price - $30.61. (I know, I could have saved $70 buying it elsewhere.) Labor was 1.5 hrs @ $165 / hr.

Glad to have it finished. Necessary of course - but would have rather spent the money on / towards fun upgrades (like a DSC Sport Controller.) Next time.

Thank you Wayne for the resource info you've posted on this. It was helpful.

Quick Reply: 997.2 fluids