997.2 low oil indicator when slowing down coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 997.2 low oil indicator when slowing down coming to a stop

Hi guys,

Coming from a 991.2 which I find a bit boring now that I don't track my car anymore I'm looking at getting into an older, more connected drive and I've always found the 997.2 to be the sweet spot between modern performance and old school, rough feel.

I just test drove a 2009 C2S and it looked a bit ratty, but finding a nice manual 997.2 is rather hard. The price is not bad and reflects the mileage (50k) of the car. Anyway while coming close to a stop and engaging the clutch, the low oil pressure indicator came on twice. I know these cars have sensors that can get finicky so I'm thinking it may be that the oil level is a bit low or a faulty sensor. Should that be a cause for concern for me to pass on the car?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Hi guys,

Coming from a 991.2 which I find a bit boring now that I don't track my car anymore I'm looking at getting into an older, more connected drive and I've always found the 997.2 to be the sweet spot between modern performance and old school, rough feel.

I just test drove a 2009 C2S and it looked a bit ratty, but finding a nice manual 997.2 is rather hard. The price is not bad and reflects the mileage (50k) of the car. Anyway while coming close to a stop and engaging the clutch, the low oil pressure indicator came on twice. I know these cars have sensors that can get finicky so I'm thinking it may be that the oil level is a bit low or a faulty sensor. Should that be a cause for concern for me to pass on the car?

Thanks
You could always look at this as being an isolated event - but to me, if a car can't make it through one initial test drive without presenting issues, I would pass on it.

For me to purchase any used car, I have to be sold on both the car and the current owner. The current owner obviously has let something slip with the car. Again, maybe an isolated occurrence. Maybe not...

Old 06-04-2020, 06:55 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

The owner may be selling it due to the diagnosis of that oil light... He may have discovered its going to be costly to repair. If the car is "ratty" as you say, he either beat the crud out of it or was too cheap to maintain it. The oiling system in the 9A1 is a robust dry sump system that Porsche bragged about via youtube. There should not be failures with it. I would walk away. There are other cars out there. If you really want it, then get a thorough PPI done including bore scoping and mention the oil light. It won't be cheap but you can't beat the peace of mind.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:08 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

I would run away, mine has never done anything similar, 2010 C2S, 48,000 miles, in great condition. None of my previous P cars, 2000 996, 2005 997.1 ever did that. Run, don’t walk

Quick Reply: 997.2 low oil indicator when slowing down coming to a stop