Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BendPak lift mod for engine/tranny work

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020 | 02:21 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Default BendPak lift mod for engine/tranny work

Thought some of y'all here might find this useful, I have modified my BendPak lift to allow a full engine/tranny drop on my 997 turbo.. I plan to document the actual process here ( https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...adventure.html)

My biggest hurdle was my lift.. I have a BendPak MD-6XP scissor lift, and the engine/tranny combo won't clear the cross-bar when lowering.. and I didn't want to buy another lift to JUST do the engine drop, so I found someone online that modified his lift to cut out the brace and replace it with a bar that could be removed for larger vehicles.. This was actually pretty easy, using the info from his blog post ( http://www.rennsportkc.com/modifying...for-a-porsche/ ) I made the mod and plan to keep it in place and remove the bar when I need to lower the engine.. Looking at the design of the lift, I'm not sure it's really even needed, and I read about several people who just left it out permanently and have dropped many engines in Porsches this way.. The lift is rated at 6K lbs and I'm using a little over half of that with the car. The bolts I used fit very tightly thru the holes with no slop or play in them.

I tested the theory out by locking the bolts in place, lifting the car, and then slowly backed the bolts back out by hand.. there was no binding of the bolts, and the bar can easily be removed with the car on the lift; no tension on the crossbar. Once I get the engine out I can put the bar back in place.

Pic of car in question during a run in the Texas Hill Country..

The following 2 users liked this post by saabin:
jchapura (05-17-2020), jeebus31 (05-19-2020)