Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this be too radical?

Old 03-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Would this be too radical?

Now this might be too radical, but here is a thought....

A few points first
- There's been some discussion about future models from Porsche.
- Modern sportscar design tells you that you should have mid-engine cars.
- The GT3, is not one of those and it handles very nice anyway.
- However if the GT3 where a car with a mid mounted engine, it would handle better.
- The monster sedans such as RS6,M5, AMG, etc etc are all front-engine

A few opinions
- Porsche today has some serious problems with M3 CSL (They hate the M3 CSL)
- To compete with other brands, Porsche has to focus not just on engine power, but also handling and performance in general
- The midengine design is something you won't find in the monster sedans
- The weight of the car is very important
- The Boxster and the 911, are according to many people too look alike.
- The 911 has got some problems with its design, since it wont fit a larger engine, and it's rear mounted.

Suggestions
- The 911 & Boxster design can grow together into a new budget model
- Take the 911, throw out the backseat, mount the engine so it becomes midengine. Use this as the premium model, and name it "Carrera"
- The new model can feature a flat-8, since it got more room now.
- Develop a GT model such as the 928
- Carrera GT is not really a "grand turismo", but keep making "super-cars"
- Stay away from the sedan-plans. It's not a sportscar...
- Put the flat-8 in the Cayenne
Old 03-09-2004, 05:15 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd rather keep the Boxster and its future variants as the "budget" line. The 911 should stay in its current configuration and price point. Porsche is missing a model that competes in the high performance sedan segment where the 928 used to be. I'd be very happy to see the 928 resurrected with a V8 and all wheel drive.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, no offense, but I don't like your idea Rassel. I agree with some of your points though.

Phasing out the boxster and making a 8cyl Carrera might not go over well. First off larger engined cars seem to be less popular in Europe where people are more concerned about things such as fuel prices and pollution. Not having a more economical, efficient alternative such as the boxster would be a step backwards in my opinion. Especially now when people are becoming more and more concerned about things like pollution, and the diminishing oil supply.

Not everyone want's the raw power of the 911 or an 8cyl and the boxster gives people a good alternative.

As for converting to a mid engined design, i think this might be a good idea, however, the 911 has built up a reputation as being a very practical and versatile sports car compared to say ferrari's and lambos etc. and having the 4 seats seems to contribute to that. If they added in a sedan to their lineup, or something I think they could remodel the 911 and make it a midengined 2seater for sure. Otherwise I'm not sure.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Would this be too radical?

Originally posted by Rassel
Take the 911, throw out the backseat, mount the engine so it becomes midengine...
...uh, that WOULD BE the Boxster.

But to your point...if Porsche does make a "sedan" (for lack of a better word, but let's assume a GT that seats four comfortably), then is there still a market for two different sports cars? ...especially when many consider the newest 911 to be more of a GT? Would Porsche drop the Boxster or 911? It would be a shame to drop such a good car (the Boxster) just because it's not a 911.

I just wish Porsche would get over itself (and this "911 must be top dog" thing) and let the Boxster cover a wider range of performance options...like from a more efficient four cylinder to a powerful eight or ten cylinder. God what a world beater it could be...

Old 03-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the flat-8 in the Cayenne
it wont fit between the wheels.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

then is there still a market for two different sports cars?
Sure there is. If I recall the boxster is marketed towards younger people. Younger as in 30ish, while the 911 is marketed towards 40ish year olds or something. They could keep the boxster as their small sports car for the budget minded, and then have the 911 as the flagship.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would this be too radical?