Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher

Does anyone carry a fire extinguisher in their 997? Mine is a 2011.

I have an '85 911 and the older Porsche's are known for electrical fires primarily from the small blower motors freezing up. So, I have one in my '85.

I wouldn't imagine the newer Porsches have this issue because of design improvements and simply because of their age.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:17 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I added one to my car for no other reason than to just spend money. Hopefully I will never have a chance to use it.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

BaileyII: Yes, I understand! There seems to be no filter when considering buying something for the Porsche.

But, as your picture indicates, a mount is required, so if no one has had a problem, I would prefer not spending the money and drilling holes somewhere for a mount.

I am looking at an Element extinguisher for the '85 as it is smaller than a standard extinguisher. But, no surprise, they're pricey.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I have carried a fire extinguisher in all of my vehicles since I was young. I watched someone’s car burn up on the highway as a kid (and witnessed a couple other bad fires in my impressionable years) and I’ve always been a little more paranoid about fire than the average person.

I carry halon extinguishers (one or two may be Halotron as halon is now a little harder to get) because the dry-chem extinguishers make a terrible mess and the residue can be corrosive. If you put the fire out early, you can still salvage the vehicle.

i also have multiple extinguishers in my house and shop. I am lucky in that my BIL’s father used to be the National sales manager for a large extinguisher company and he was very generous with extinguishers at Christmastime.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Iceter
Drifting

As a follow-up on dry chem, my dad’s boat caught fire when I was in college. He put it out with a dry-chem extinguisher and while it worked fine, the powder got into everything and caused him to have to replace several components (mostly electrical/electronic) in the engine compartment that he otherwise would not have if he had used a CO2 or Halon extinguisher.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:12 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

Which is the recommended side (Driver vs Passenger) to install, and why?

I’ve mine on the Driver’s side for easy access, but there maybe other factors to consider.

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:42 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

I am embarrassed to say however I just used zip ties to mount the mount. I did not want to pay to have the seat removed to install the correct way.
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 01:04 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:43 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Halon FE in frunk.
My old dry chemical was used many years ago when my roommate sprayed my VW bug (and me) when I was reattaching the fuel line which has popped off when we were driving back to graduate school in the midwest in the dead of winter. NO fire, but he saw vapor and assumed that something had got wrong so he sprayed everything. After I finished yelling at him, we got back into the Bug. Prior to stopping, the car was warm and the heater lever wasn't open much. After we get back in, the car was very cold, so I opened up the heater lever. The cab of the VW instantly filled with the dry chemical dust and we had to open the windows to keep from choking to death. We must have looked like a WWII destroyer laying down a smokescreen for the next few miles.
FYI, while we were stopped and I was fixing the fuel line, a Kansas State Trooper pulled up behind us. After my roommate finally stopped spraying everything in sight, I noticed the state Troopers were bent over their car laughing as hard as they could.

Moral of the story: If you have an air-cooled car, dry chemical FE's may not be your best choice.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:42 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm like Iceter. Extinguishers in all my cars. Halon in one and Halotron in the rest. Peace of mind. I keep the Porsche one behind the drivers seat. It's not going anywhere there. At some point I will mount it under the front lip of the drivers seat or on the drivers side of the center console near the seat. It needs to be where you can grab it and move fast. Also it's not just for me. If I come on someone burning, I can use it to save their ride also. Note to all, if your ride catches fire, in addition to hitting it with the halotron, disconnect the battery too. Shorts will keep igniting it if you don't. keep lids, hoods, etc. closed and extinguish from the bottom. Kills all the O2 that way so no re-ignition.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Yes, another benefit to Halon is that it is non-conductive.

As for mounting, I originally mounted mine on the driver’s side, but I kept kicking it and the mount kept catching on my clothes when I got in and out. I moved it over to the passenger side and it has worked out much better over there. 99% of my driving in that car is by myself, so it doesn’t get in the way.

Unless you’re a tyrannosaurus, the extinguisher is easily accessible from the driver’s seat.

Since most car fires are in the engine compartment, storing an extinguisher in the frunk would be just fine, IMO. The only problem with that would be if the fire cut the power and you couldn’t get the frunk open. I never found an attractive frunk mount, so I chose to put it in the passenger compartment.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:56 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BaileyII
I did not want to pay to have the seat removed to install the correct way.
It'll vary by FE mount, but it usually only requires undoing a few seat-mounting bolts to attach the mount. If so, an easy job, though you'll need to buy a female TORX socket set such as:
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by BaileyII
I just used zip ties to mount the mount
If you have an accident, especially a high-energy one, you may have a couple of pounds of lethal metal and plastic flying around your interior. I wouldn't rely on zip-ties to hold it down in circumstances like that.

Regards,

Karl.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:23 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Unless you’re a tyrannosaurus, the extinguisher is easily accessible from the driver’s seat.
LOL. The size of one's gut is also a factor...

Karl.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:30 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

I fully understand your view, however Have different view. Have two friends whose house caught on fire. I subscribe to their thinking, if it catches fire make sure it burns to the ground. Then build new house. If my car catches fire, burn to total and get another one. Love my 911, but if lights up, don’t want repaired problems to chase or worry about. Maybe too simplistic.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:29 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

wjk_glynn

This is some serious common sense that I should of thought about. I will look into installing it properly.

This is a great Captain Obvious moment. Good looking out!!!

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher