Sponsored by:

Carrera Sport wheel center caps help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:55 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Carrera Sport wheel center caps help

I need some assistance on the Carrera Sport wheels center caps. I recently purchased a set of GT Silver Porsche center caps from Suncoast Parts. Link to the product page: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9970446.html. It stated that these are for the Carrera Sport wheels. However, after mounting them I can see a slight mismatch in the color. The center caps seems to be in a darker silver than the wheels. Is this normal or I should try a different center cap? Thanks.

Name:  68wv1fch.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  112.8 KB

Name:  WlAch8Oh.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  252.7 KB
Old 04-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Just to make sure, were you expecting the wheel centers from Suncoast to match your car’s paint color (GT Silver?) or the wheel color?
Old 04-19-2020, 11:13 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Just to make sure, were you expecting the wheel centers from Suncoast to match your car’s paint color (GT Silver?) or the wheel color?
I'd like the center caps to match the wheel color, which I believe is GT Silver. The car itself is in Arctic Silver by the way.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Tan
I'd like the center caps to match the wheel color, which I believe is GT Silver. The car itself is in Arctic Silver by the way.
Ah, gotcha. Pretty car! Looks great.

Ok, so I'm obviously in the wrong forum, but for my GT Silver 991.2, I just went out to the garage and the wheels (20" Carrera Sport) on my car are very slightly lighter in shade then the car. Meaning my car wheels are not GT Silver, since the paint is obviously darker. (FWIW I've used Wurth "german" wheel color to repaint multiple BMW wheels and it sure looks like that shade on my car. But there are oodles of silver paint out there, for sure.

Not saying it's what happened, but the Suncoast link indicates a wheel cap in "GT Silver", which, judging by how it looks on your car, kinda looks like they sent you a wheel center in "GT Silver." Meaning, I'm not sure your wheels are GT Silver? A theory anyway.

Be an option to pop one off, go locate a GT Silver 911 and compare the shade of the center to that car. If they match, seems like you've discovered the issue.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2020, 11:42 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Is this normal or I should try a different center cap? Thanks.
I would have expected a better color match based on the photos on their site. It’s possible they accidentally shipped the wrong part.

I’d pop down to your local Porsche dealer. They’ll have various center caps for sale in the parts department. Bring in one of your new caps and compare to what they have. I’d expect the parts department to be still open during this CV19 situation.

Karl.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:56 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Ah, gotcha. Pretty car! Looks great.

Ok, so I'm obviously in the wrong forum, but for my GT Silver 991.2, I just went out to the garage and the wheels (20" Carrera Sport) on my car are very slightly lighter in shade then the car. Meaning my car wheels are not GT Silver, since the paint is obviously darker. (FWIW I've used Wurth "german" wheel color to repaint multiple BMW wheels and it sure looks like that shade on my car. But there are oodles of silver paint out there, for sure.

Not saying it's what happened, but the Suncoast link indicates a wheel cap in "GT Silver", which, judging by how it looks on your car, kinda looks like they sent you a wheel center in "GT Silver." Meaning, I'm not sure your wheels are GT Silver? A theory anyway.

Be an option to pop one off, go locate a GT Silver 911 and compare the shade of the center to that car. If they match, seems like you've discovered the issue.

Good luck!
Thanks for the kind words. There is a possibility that the wheels might not be in GT silver. These came with the car when I bought it so I don't know the history of the wheels. I will do some digging.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:00 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
I would have expected a better color match based on the photos on their site. It’s possible they accidentally shipped the wrong part.

I’d pop down to your local Porsche dealer. They’ll have various center caps for sale in the parts department. Bring in one of your new caps and compare to what they have. I’d expect the parts department to be still open during this CV19 situation.

Karl.
Thanks for your advise Karl. I will give that a shot.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:40 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I don’t believe Porsche ever issued a true matching cap for the Carrera Sport wheels. When I bought my car in 13 it had two different types of caps and neither of them matched. I ended up just having a local paint store color match the some paint to the wheels and make a one time use spray can followed with a couple of coats of gloss clear. As I recall it was about $50 all said and done but well worth it as the color differences of the different caps was fairy noticeable. Cheers
Old 04-20-2020, 01:05 AM
stiffler199
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

I need some assistance on the Carrera Sport wheels center caps. I recently purchased a set of GT Silver Porsche center caps from Suncoast Parts. Link to the product page: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9970446.html. It stated that these are for the Carrera Sport wheels. However, after mounting them I can see a slight mismatch in the color. The center caps seems to be in a darker silver than the wheels. Is this normal or I should try a different center cap? Thanks.

Mine match perfectly. I think contact local dealership and see if they can pull the part # from the Sport wheel option.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:00 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stiffler199

Mine match perfectly. I think contact local dealership and see if they can pull the part # from the Sport wheel option.
Oh wow, yours look great. I will talk to my local dealership today. It's nice to know Porsche has made center caps that will match the Carrera Sport wheels color, I just have to go and find them. By the way, are you by any chance be able to remove the your center caps and see what part number they have?
Old 04-20-2020, 09:42 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Well, I called the Porsche dealership close to me. The person in the parts department was very helpful and gave the old and new version of the center caps that is suppose to go with the Carrera Sport wheels. The old version is 997.361.303.01 and the new version is 9P1.601.149.AM7Z. The new version is excatly what I have currently on the car that doesm't match the wheel color. The person also said they don't stock a whole lot of center caps and he will have to order them to bring them in. So I'm guessing that the wheels I have on the car might have been repainted at some point with lighter shade of silver. I'm going to have to go have a paint shop or a body shop to color match the center caps to the wheels at this point.

Name:  92wmPJ2h.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  82.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 03:53 PM
michaelmoo22
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

J.Tan, My Sport Wheels have the opposite issue!! My center caps are slightly lighter than my wheels.

IM me before you go through the process of color matching. Maybe we can swap... or swap back if they still aren't right!

Old 04-20-2020, 04:39 PM
Perdido
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine match, but the lugs are still rusty!
Perdido
Old 04-20-2020, 04:53 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Could you let me know what the part number is for your center caps?
Also I highly recommend titanium lug bolts or studs conversion kit like the one I have. These will never rust and shave off some rotational mass as a bonus.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:14 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

I had a chance to finally get around to address the mismatching color issue for the center caps.

As expected, the wheels have been confirmed to be repainted to a lighter shade of silver. The current silver on my Carrera Sport wheels is actually closer to the Arctic Silver which is the car's paint color. So I replaced the center caps with the ones for my winter wheels. They are 993 silver caps with black Porsche emblem. As you can see the silver more or less match now between the wheels and center caps.

It's not perfect and they are concave instead of being flat like the Carrera Sport center caps. But at least they don't stick out like sore thumb anymore.

I will have the 9P1.601.149.AM7Z caps for sale soon.

Quick Reply: Carrera Sport wheel center caps help