Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 997.2 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 09:29 PM
Duntov
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi...sorry if this is late and you have solved the problem....but....

I recently received a note from the local dealer that said 2011 to 2016 cars have been experiencing a PCM problem.....

They state that the PCM keeps rebooting.....and provide a process to re-set it......

Like this.....
  1. Press and hold the PCM info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
  2. Immediately select the following from the PCM:
    CAR > OPTION > Set PCM System > Reset PCM > Vehicle Handover > Yes > Yes

They also state that this is in the owners manual......

Long shot but maybe ??????

Regards
Bill
The following users liked this post:
Rexheat (06-01-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 05:55 AM
Nick Henderson
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, sorry to hear that you have been having similar problems. My issue was a faulty wire/connection between the ignition and the ECU. Rather than strip the whole thing down my friend bypassed it and we're good to go. The jury's out as to whether this will prove stable in the long term as I think that the bad connection might still be at the ignition end. It took him 2-3 days to find this out! Being in lockdown I'm unable to head out too often to see how reliable the car is but the 3 drives I've done seem to be ok on starting.
Rexheat (05-30-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 02:50 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Henderson
Hello, sorry to hear that you have been having similar problems. My issue was a faulty wire/connection between the ignition and the ECU. Rather than strip the whole thing down my friend bypassed it and we're good to go. The jury's out as to whether this will prove stable in the long term as I think that the bad connection might still be at the ignition end. It took him 2-3 days to find this out! Being in lockdown I'm unable to head out too often to see how reliable the car is but the 3 drives I've done seem to be ok on starting.
Wow, what a tough one. Any additional info on the diagnostic process used and details on running and splicing the new line would be of great benefit to the forum.

Glad you are back up and running
Rexheat (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Rexheat
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
If it walks like a duck and quacks ("...clicking like a dead battery...") like a duck....it's a duck. My (sniff, just sold) '09 Carrera was on its third battery since new. Just sayin'.
Thanks for the feedback; it was a duck. Thought it was the battery at first but also washed it with the power washer for the first time too. Then I started reading and thought it could be anything. Thankfully it was just the battery and was able to enjoy her this last weekend.

Quick Reply: 2011 997.2 Won't start