Sponsored by:

Air-intake mods - Results from back-to-back testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020 | 03:58 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Air-intake mods - Results from back-to-back testing

EDIT: Turns out the authors of this video had started their own thread. Best to move all the conversation over to there: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...est-video.html

----- My Original Post -----

See the following for back-to-back testing of some common bolt-on (no-tune) air-intake mods on a 3.6L 997.1 C2.

They tested:

1) Stock intake and stock panel filter
2) K&N panel filter replacement of 1)
3) IPD intake manifold & 82mm GT3 throttle body
4) Complete K&N intake kit (air-box, cone filter, etc.)

There's an old saying of "there's lies, damn lies... and then dyno results".

But they seemed to do a decent job of controlling for a number of variables (same car/dyno/day/intake-temps/etc.), and noting where there's gaps (e.g. none of above had additional tunes to get more out of them).

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 03-27-2020 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020 | 06:29 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Consistent with other tests we've seen. Porsche spends far more money and time on R&D, and of course they want their cars to be as powerful as possible while also being durable. If these mods made cars better, then we would see increased demand and resale value on modded cars. In fact, the reverse is true.
Old 03-27-2020 | 01:27 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Manufacturers often leave some performance gains on the table in the interest of cost or durability. But, the Dollar cost per HP to the modder is often very high. I appreciate information like this video that verifies what works and what doesn't.

The reason I shy away from nodded cars isn't the mods themselves, it's primarily that I don't trust the owner or installer to do a good job. It's also hard to find a nodded car that has exactly the changes that I want. Usually, the seller has taken things a bit too far for my tastes. I'd rather modify a car myself--even if that means I'm paying more for the modifications.
Old 03-27-2020 | 01:37 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

How is this different than the other thread that was already started about this same video?
Old 03-27-2020 | 01:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Manufacturers often leave some performance gains on the table in the interest of cost or durability. But, the Dollar cost per HP to the modder is often very high. I appreciate information like this video that verifies what works and what doesn't.

The reason I shy away from nodded cars isn't the mods themselves, it's primarily that I don't trust the owner or installer to do a good job. It's also hard to find a nodded car that has exactly the changes that I want. Usually, the seller has taken things a bit too far for my tastes. I'd rather modify a car myself--even if that means I'm paying more for the modifications.
Completely agree ^^^^^^.

I see parallels with modded cars and people who get caught up into cosmetic surgery. They seem to almost always take things way too far and the results are usually degrading at best, and often border on the grotesque. They don't know how to leave a good thing alone...

Old 03-27-2020 | 01:50 PM
Verboden
Instructor

I like the concept of the hub based dyno. Seen too many vids of cars slipping on wheel based models.
Old 03-27-2020 | 05:28 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fined
How is this different than the other thread that was already started about this same video?
It isn't, I simply didn't spot they'd started their own thread.

Best to move all the conversation over to there: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...est-video.html

I'll close this one...

Karl.

Quick Reply: Air-intake mods - Results from back-to-back testing